Spare tire

6-Speed

Established Member
Here is the email response to my inquiry on the spare:

The mini spare for your 2007 Ford Mustang GT500 is actually a 17" wheel. The part number is 4R3Z1007LA list price $210.05 your price $149.09 plus S&H and there is a $50.00 refundable core charge also.

6-Speed

Established Member
That would be great if that set-up fit the rear. I'd much rather pack a doughnut set-up that will fit in the well rather than a full size spare. As it is there's no trunk space and I ain't putting my luggage on the roof.
I wouldn't recommend traveling very far or fast with a space-saver spare since the two rear tires are slightly different sizes - puts some wear on the limited-slip differential. I would just drive to the nearest tire store.

mullens

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend traveling very far or fast with a space-saver spare since the two rear tires are slightly different sizes - puts some wear on the limited-slip differential. I would just drive to the nearest tire store.

I agree. Slow and careful to the tire store. Better than the flatbed alternative IMO, especially if you're in BFE.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Salvage yards are getting 90 bucks a pop for the donut spare. I have a friend with a GT that was gonna use them as skinnies for drag racing. The spare will fit on the front of a gt but with the larger brakes it has to be a 18 or add a spacer to clear. Screw the good years and get a different tire unless you are really happy with them. I'm not. but I installed DR's as soon as I got the car and don't drive in a down poor. Drizzle is fine in the Nitto DR, just gotta watch the deep standing water but hell that goes for any tire with a car this powerful.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member

what do you mean the 2 rear tires are slightly different sizes?

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
ya but you have to tow it directly to the tire place. Because you don't have any tire to drive on while you fix or buy a new tire. I mean i have another car but right now my shelby is on a jack stand at my house and the flat tire is in the hatch of my other car. And that particular tire is on national back order.

Man, this entire scenario sucks.. However, I'm going to have an extra set of meats at home. Worse case, car sits until I'm able to retrieve another tire/rim.

Back order= no good

G/L with all

shelbypowered

Established Member
:rolling:
Dose anybody have a spare tire in the trunk well of there gt500? If so what is the biggest tire i can fit in there. Ive got some 17inch stock 06 gt rims i wanna mount a tire on and put in the trunk well. That sealer shit and pump just dose'nt work for me.
Heres what I have done- I use the stock rim and have mounted a 235/50/zr18 as my spare- it clears everything and fits the front and rear- It does not fit the stock recessed hole in the car but I let it ride on the top with a cover and have it attached with the system used on the mini tire in the non gt 500 cars- It is the right height and is ok for a short emergency drive to a safe spot or to get to a stop off point to get the car on a proper tow rig. It does fit and I have now two options- a spair and the inflatable fix if it is a minor flat. Peace of mind I guess.

6-Speed

Established Member
:rolling:Heres what I have done- I use the stock rim and have mounted a 235/50/zr18 as my spare- it clears everything and fits the front and rear- It does not fit the stock recessed hole in the car but I let it ride on the top with a cover and have it attached with the system used on the mini tire in the non gt 500 cars- It is the right height and is ok for a short emergency drive to a safe spot or to get to a stop off point to get the car on a proper tow rig. It does fit and I have now two options- a spair and the inflatable fix if it is a minor flat. Peace of mind I guess.
Can you post a picture of your trunk with the spare in it? I just can't visualize how you have the tire secured with the factory hardware when it is not in the well.

shelbypowered

Established Member
Can you post a picture of your trunk with the spare in it? I just can't visualize how you have the tire secured with the factory hardware when it is not in the well.
I will try to post a picture- the parts I used are in post 18 which would hold the mini tire in a gt as I do not own a gt I would guess that is what it is there for- My tire sits on top of the carpet with a toneau(sp.) to hide the tire and the pull down clamp and to make it look finished- it pretty much fills the trunk- I also have to carry the scissors jack and lug bolt wrench. I drove with it not attached until I found the parts in post 18. If you look you can see which would work- not handy with the camera and sending pictures but will try. I had to extend the bolt with the hook to adapt it to my tire- It has an offset because it does not center on the perfect spot but works.

Gojira

Established Member
There is a guy on teamshelby.com that put a factory Shelby 500 wheel back there. He mounted a 245 tire and it just barely fit in the spare tire well. I saw the thread about 3 months ago.

I was thinking of taking a stock wheel and having it narrowed and putting a 235 on it so it would fit nice and be a litle lighter

Gojira

Established Member
:rolling:Heres what I have done- I use the stock rim and have mounted a 235/50/zr18 as my spare- it clears everything and fits the front and rear- It does not fit the stock recessed hole in the car but I let it ride on the top with a cover and have it attached with the system used on the mini tire in the non gt 500 cars- It is the right height and is ok for a short emergency drive to a safe spot or to get to a stop off point to get the car on a proper tow rig. It does fit and I have now two options- a spair and the inflatable fix if it is a minor flat. Peace of mind I guess.

Maybe you're they guy I'm talking about but I thought it fit in the well nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread