Speeding ticket.. 42mph over

txyaloo

Established Member
best way to handle it without pissing them off and not admitting guilt is to say - 'officer, i really dont know' - say it sincerely - he'll prob believe that as most speeders dont know what speed they were going. doesnt get you off the hook - but it also does not admit guilt.

That's lying to an officer during an investigation which is illegal. Feel free to chance it, but they can screw you more by saying that.

would not advise this - the more of a smart ass you are, the more they will **** with you.

Don't advise it all you want, but it is the correct answer. The person that posted that is also an attorney.

Answering yes is answering the officer's question and not lying. You do not and should not provide any more information with a situation like the OPs.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
But I'm not tring to beat this ticket

I'm going to get a lawyer

hopefully they will reduce the speed

Is there anyway a lawyer might be able to get that dropped to a non moving violation?

all the others have been reduced to non moving violations

Thinking back I should have told him I had no idea how fast I was going.

Personal responsibility... A lost concept on many.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Personal responsibility... A lost concept on many.

No really...he's not trying to side step responsibility. :rollseyes

As FordSVTFan asked...is the violation a mandatory appearance or can you pay the fine?

semperfimrn1

Established Member
If they ask you if you know how fast you were going just tell them 'yes.' That answers the question. Then ask them how you can help them.

then what happens when the officer says ok how fast were you going since you know? what should your response be? lol admit to guilt?

whiplash920

Established Member
That's lying to an officer during an investigation which is illegal. Feel free to chance it, but they can screw you more by saying that.

Don't advise it all you want, but it is the correct answer. The person that posted that is also an attorney.

Answering yes is answering the officer's question and not lying. You do not and should not provide any more information with a situation like the OPs.

in my experience, that is the best answer - 9/10 times you dont know exactly what you were doing (you know ballpark) - so not lying. also, not easy to prove that you KNEW what speed you were going. as far as saying yes - and leaving it at that, my buddies (one a state cop, the other county) would have more of a prob with that statement then someone who was speeding excessively and genuinely said they did not know. officers have a lot of discretion out there - whether to tow your vehicle, arrest you, slap on added charges, etc. i would never want anyone to admit guilt, but trying to be a smart ass will end you up in deeper crap - i guarantee it.

Blownsvt84

Established Member
it's a toss-up really - the attorney will cost at least $500 (if not more), but will be able to get that lowered/reduced much more than you ever will - but the thing is - will the fine and attorney be more than the fine without an attorney - that's the question. for your scenario - i think an attorney would be worth it.

My attorney said it would be 2-3k for him to take the case since he isn't really a traffic lawyer anymore he doesn't work cheap. I talked to a bunch of buddies who had the same kind of shit. Worst case I go in and see the prosecutor if they don't play ball I reschedule the date and come back with a lawyer.

Low 11s

Established Member
All my cop buddies HATE it when people lie and try to make cops out as MORONS. You did the right thing now hopefully they will work with you. It seems nowadays many police agencies are working with a zero tolerance policy and everyone pulled over gets written up.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
best way to handle it without pissing them off and not admitting guilt is to say - 'officer, i really dont know' - say it sincerely - he'll prob believe that as most speeders dont know what speed they were going. doesnt get you off the hook - but it also does not admit guilt.

Congrats, at best you just incriminated yourself for inattentive driving. At worst you just lied to an officer during an investigation, which is a crime.

would not advise this - the more of a smart ass you are, the more they will **** with you.

How is that a smartass answer? It is a direct answer to a direct question. Officers tend to ask one of two questions during a stop such as this. One is referenced above, the other is "Do you know why I stopped you?"

then what happens when the officer says ok how fast were you going since you know? what should your response be? lol admit to guilt?

That's why you immediately follow up with a question of your own. Change the subject. Cops tend to be smart and experienced in their jobs though, so Jedi mind tricks don't always work. If the officer presses the point you just need to make it clear that you're not going to incriminate yourself. You never want to give the prosecution any more evidence than they already have.

03_termi

Established Member
Seriously, I can't believe the OP wasn't arrested and his car impounded.. The cop must of been a car guy..:burnout:
he told me he could impound the car and arrest me but since I was cooperating and didn't try lying about the speeding he would just right the ticket.

Does the ticket have a mandatory court appearance or can you pay it and move on?
I have to show up to court. Anything 26 or more over the speed limit you have to show up to court.

30 days in the electric chair!
probably will be something like that.

No really...he's not trying to side step responsibility. :rollseyes

As FordSVTFan asked...is the violation a mandatory appearance or can you pay the fine?

I'm not. I'll take responsibility for what iv done. But I'm gunna do anything possible to get the ticket dropped or the speed reduced.
And Yes anything 26mph or more over is mandatory court appearance in Missouri.

Last edited:

whiplash920

Established Member
My attorney said it would be 2-3k for him to take the case since he isn't really a traffic lawyer anymore he doesn't work cheap. I talked to a bunch of buddies who had the same kind of shit. Worst case I go in and see the prosecutor if they don't play ball I reschedule the date and come back with a lawyer.
this is true - you can go it once by yourself and if you dont like what the plea is, you can tell them you want a jury trial and come back with a lawyer.

Congrats, at best you just incriminated yourself for inattentive driving. At worst you just lied to an officer during an investigation, which is a crime.

How is that a smartass answer? It is a direct answer to a direct question. Officers tend to ask one of two questions during a stop such as this. One is referenced above, the other is "Do you know why I stopped you?"

That's why you immediately follow up with a question of your own. Change the subject. Cops tend to be smart and experienced in their jobs though, so Jedi mind tricks don't always work. If the officer presses the point you just need to make it clear that you're not going to incriminate yourself. You never want to give the prosecution any more evidence than they already have.

not really - reason being is most people dont watch their speedometer that much - should be watching the road.
im only relating my experiences and what my 2 cop buddies have told me - so my info comes from real world and police officers. say what you will, but your response seems harsh and rigid. saying yes and then not saying anything else when pressed will put you in a difficult spot - the officer will ask what speed you were traveling (asking another question to distract the officer - cant imagine that would ever work - you seem to have a low opinion of police officers' intelligence). i could see it - cop: do you know how fast were you going? person: yes.....(followed by silence)...cop: soooo, how fast were you going then? person: i dont want to say anything else. this is prob the best that will go. saying you dont want to incriminate yourself - he/she would prob be ok with that, but you will not get a break - if you were going to get one. cops just dont like that attitude - at least my buddies dont and neither do the other officers at their depts.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
not really - reason being is most people dont watch their speedometer that much - should be watching the road.
im only relating my experiences and what my 2 cop buddies have told me - so my info comes from real world and police officers. say what you will, but your response seems harsh and rigid. saying yes and then not saying anything else when pressed will put you in a difficult spot - the officer will ask what speed you were traveling (asking another question to distract the officer - cant imagine that would ever work - you seem to have a low opinion of police officers' intelligence). i could see it - cop: do you know how fast were you going? person: yes.....(followed by silence)...cop: soooo, how fast were you going then? person: i dont want to say anything else. this is prob the best that will go. saying you dont want to incriminate yourself - he/she would prob be ok with that, but you will not get a break - if you were going to get one. cops just dont like that attitude - at least my buddies dont and neither do the other officers at their depts.

I would rather give up a chance at getting a break than incriminate myself and give up any defense I would have in court. If the cop doesn't give you a break, then you are completely screwed.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have to show up to court. Anything 26 or more over the speed limit you have to show up to court.

That is because it is a criminal charge. Therefore you do not want to screw around with the case and want to get a good criminal attorney. When you speak to the Prosecutor if you admit anything it will be used against you in court.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I'll take responsibility for what iv done. But I'm gunna do anything possible to get the ticket dropped or the speed reduced.

If you show up to court and say "I take responsibility for what I've done" I guarantee the ticket will not be dismissed.

Therefore, taking responsibility for what you have done means you are accepting the consequences for your actions. Which clearly you are not.

I don't blame you for trying to get the ticket thrown out or reduced. Just stop saying you are taking responsibility for what you've done.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I don't blame you for trying to get the ticket thrown out or reduced. Just stop saying you are taking responsibility for what you've done.

Agreed. This is the point I have been trying to get the OP to understand, but he just doesn't get it.

whiplash920

Established Member
I would rather give up a chance at getting a break than incriminate myself and give up any defense I would have in court. If the cop doesn't give you a break, then you are completely screwed.

please explain to me how this is incriminating yourself? you are admitting nothing. i dont follow your logic here.

Users who are viewing this thread