Spotted!!! Gt500 Testing At Firebird Raceway!!

Almo

Established Member
chuckstang said:
hissman, your such a hater
it looked awsome and this car will beat the hell outa ur 04

:nono: You guys don't seem to care or pay attention to weight these days do you?

Maybe this will help a bit… Mustang GT with 525 RWHP = Cobra with 600 RWHP = GT500 with 675. And yes I really do think a Mustang GT with 525 RWHP would hold its weight to a 675 HP GT500 if they truly do weigh 4K lbs.

The only things that will play into the GT500s favor is the 331 displacement and the live axle.

Oh and please call me another hater because 4K lbs. is a lot of weight to move not to mention this is 300/400 more than a 03/04 Cobra. So it might have 85 more HP than the 03/04s but all in all, it will need that much more for the weight difference. :nonono:

Almo

Established Member
chuckstang said:
no joke, mod for mod the gt500 will slap your old car around like it was its bitch
get over yourself and your car
It is awsome but not the end all, be all
I have grown to despise the 03/04 and will either build up my 99 and destory them or just get a new gt500 and do it with class and style :)

You keep thinking that ok! :lol1:

Svt Pilot

Established Member
Almo said:
Oh and please call me another hater because 4K lbs. is a lot of weight to move not to mention this is 300/400 more than a 03/04 Cobra. So it might have 85 more HP than the 03/04s but all in all, it will need that much more for the weight difference. :nonono:

What about Lightnings that dyno around 650rwhp, weigh 4800#'s and run mid-high 10's with the aerodynamics of a brick. It's the TQ curve of this motor that will get the pig moving.

broeli

Established Member
The overall power curve with the 5.4 will help. Funny that you mention the aerodynamics of the Lightning. The new design Mustang is less aerodynamic than the 03/04 which will hurt it a little, something that isn't mentioned that often.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
broeli said:
The overall power curve with the 5.4 will help. Funny that you mention the aerodynamics of the Lightning. The new design Mustang is less aerodynamic than the 03/04 which will hurt it a little, something that isn't mentioned that often.

yeah thats a plus for the Cobra, Aerodynamics

R1Lello

Established Member
Almo said:
:nono: You guys don't seem to care or pay attention to weight these days do you?

Maybe this will help a bit… Mustang GT with 525 RWHP = Cobra with 600 RWHP = GT500 with 675. And yes I really do think a Mustang GT with 525 RWHP would hold its weight to a 675 HP GT500 if they truly do weigh 4K lbs.

The only things that will play into the GT500s favor is the 331 displacement and the live axle.

:coolman: .........it's +/- 200 lbs

Fourcam330

Established Member
Almo said:
You keep thinking that ok! :lol1:

What's it take to get a svelte 3850lb (200lb driver plus 3650lb coupe) 03/04 to trap 130+ in the 1/4?

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Almo said:

wow! thanks for pointing that out man, i dont think thats ever been mentioned here!!! :bored: do you think anyone here(besides maybe you and dr.autox) really care all that much about the weight?!?!?! sure, we would all like it lighter but im pretty damn sure we can all live with the weight. if we cared that damn much about the weight i think we would all be spending our 40k on an elise instead of the GT500. and, reality check buddy, its not all that much heavier than yours. what, 300-something pounds? its a healthy increase but easily made up for by the peak power/torque and mostly by the averaged power/torque which all the negative people seem to forget about when pointing out the negatives on this car. and must we also note that the stripped down, pure race car, 2000 cobra R is a healthy 3593lbs it self, yet it still achieves 1G skidpad. in other words, weight can be made up in horsepower and suspension geometry(the 2000 cobra R also had a healthy dose of negative camber).

Formula51

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:coolman: .........it's +/- 200 lbs

I am not a GT500 hater, but we should be realistic. Based on the info we have seen recently it is +/- 300lbs heavier than the 03/04 Cobra.

03/04 Cobra=3650lbs
Shelby GT500=3920lbs

What people need to come to grips with (and it sucks) is that our beloved government is so worried about keeping us safe from ourselves that they dictate safety standards that most car manufacturers can only meet economically by making cars heavier than before. What is funny, is that the safer, more comfortable and quieter they make cars, the more accidents that occur. Think about it.....if you can't hear someone coming or feel how fast you are going then all you have left is what you see. You have completely eliminated two senses. Add on top of that the elimination of fear because your car has a 5 star safety rating and you have a bunch of day dreaming idiots running into each other, also know as drivers in the United States. It is sad, but I am not making this up. I have read numerous studies on this. But all the government see's is that accident rates are going up, so what do we do, make cars safer!!!!! And what does that mean, heavier cars!!! Sorry for the rant.

Almo

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
wow! thanks for pointing that out man, i dont think thats ever been mentioned here!!! :bored: do you think anyone here(besides maybe you and dr.autox) really care all that much about the weight?!?!?! sure, we would all like it lighter but im pretty damn sure we can all live with the weight. if we cared that damn much about the weight i think we would all be spending our 40k on an elise instead of the GT500. and, reality check buddy, its not all that much heavier than yours. what, 300-something pounds? its a healthy increase but easily made up for by the peak power/torque and mostly by the averaged power/torque which all the negative people seem to forget about when pointing out the negatives on this car. and must we also note that the stripped down, pure race car, 2000 cobra R is a healthy 3593lbs it self, yet it still achieves 1G skidpad. in other words, weight can be made up in horsepower and suspension geometry(the 2000 cobra R also had a healthy dose of negative camber).

You're telling me nothing above! If I don't like something because of weight then that's my preference. I don't give two shits about you trying to throw me shit that started in the 60s. Most of us have been a around for a while and if you think that only a few are worried about the GT500’s weight then you need get out more.

I could very easily afford to pick up a GT500 when they come out but I already have made up my mind solely on the fact that its more of a pig than the 03/04s.

I do not hate the GT500 but am hating on the weight... have seen a few in person and think they look pretty good, I do however hate the fact Ford gives us more HP and a better displacement but add weight along with it.

Last edited:

TRXboy

Established Member
I just do not understand where the weight is comming from, Ok, the engine add's some. Not 300 pounds though, and in relation to the 03/04's, im sure the solid axle HELPS weight, so what eles, i know the car is bigger but I would be under the assumption that a car with 25+ years of enginering tec under its belt would be able to help in that department.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TRXboy said:
I just do not understand where the weight is comming from, Ok, the engine add's some. Not 300 pounds though, and in relation to the 03/04's, im sure the solid axle HELPS weight, so what eles, i know the car is bigger but I would be under the assumption that a car with 25+ years of enginering tec under its belt would be able to help in that department.

This car is a complete different chassis from the "ground up". It is approximately 40% stiffer than a SN95 chassis. That's where a lot of the weight is coming from.

People need to get a refill on their Prozac!! Give the weight a rest! Nobody seems to remember going through this four years ago with the '03?!??!! I still remember the '99 and '01 gang saying "man that '03 is such a heavy pig, my (insert year Cobra here) will kill that thing because it weighs 200# more than my car!!!" :rollseyes Didn't they get a surprise?!! :read:

TRXboy

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
This car is a complete different chassis from the "ground up". It is approximately 40% stiffer than a SN95 chassis. That's where a lot of the weight is coming from.

People need to get a refill on their Prozac!! Give the weight a rest! Nobody seems to remember going through this four years ago with the '03?!??!! I still remember the '99 and '01 gang saying "man that '03 is such a heavy pig, my (insert year Cobra here) will kill that thing because it weighs 200# more than my car!!!" :rollseyes Didn't they get a surprise?!! :read:

Yesm witch would explain why an 05 GT is, what, 3500 and change? Theres the 40% increase in stiffness, now where the hell is the GT500 getting the extra 300 on top of that.

chuckstang

Established Member
Almo said:

Dude you car is a pig and you do realize that there is more then just peak hp :poke:
Term owners will have a rude awakening when these things come out and start to get modded.
The bigger motor and more efficient blower plus the solid axle will kill you from a dig and will have that much more top end with the added cubes.

Users who are viewing this thread