Srt4 neon or sn95 cobra?

98expo

Established Member
I have FOR SALE a low mile 09 SRT4 Caliber if you want to be different......stock and fun to drive!

I've also owned a 94 Cobra and it was a Blast to drive, but than again the Caliber is as well! Plus the Kicker Sound System in the Caliber will make your ears ring!

I bought a CSRT in '08. As I loved the refinements it was in the shop 3 out of the 4 months I owned it. Dodge bought it back... I got the lemon.

03SonicStang

Established Member
I bought a CSRT in '08. As I loved the refinements it was in the shop 3 out of the 4 months I owned it. Dodge bought it back... I got the lemon.

I've owed the car from 6K on the clock. All only issue was blown front struts at 25K and Dodge replaced them under warranty (warranty expired at 36 Months). Other than that the car has been perfect.

B0B

Established Member
i would choose the srt over an sn95 if it was a daily. i've had 2 friends with stock turbo bolt on srt4s and they were both way faster than a full bolt on sn95. but if you want something that doesn't scream douche bag for a weekend cruiser i'd go with the cobra.

19935.slow

Established Member
srt4 for me. Seats are more comfy, interior is nicer. It is also better bang for the buck. PLus strapping a bigger turbo on with injectors and a pump (also a return line) is usually faster than most equivilant vortech bheaded cars. Might not hook up, but were talking about a car to drive around.

But if I had money to throw around I wouldn't bother. They do scream dbag after the owners of the last two years.

Silver95

Established Member
The car i drove was a stage 1 mopar unit so I'm guessing a bit more boost. Had a crappy short shifter that made it feel as if you're driving something from ancient times. Very notchy and clunky- also ride like shiet due to having coil overs but it pulled pretty hard for what it is.

smitty2919

Established Member
+1 on the srt-4

As BA as the sn95 cobra is, the srt-4 is much better bang for your buck imo

I wouldn't say a basic SN95 Cobra is "badass". Especially compared to the quality of cars running around on this site.

However...I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon. I don't care if it makes 1000rwhp and can beat the piss out of my GTO. I would take the loss and still smile knowing I still have my man card driving a V8 rwd car that sounds good. Not to mention my wife would divroce me is I did LOL.

I vote Cobra mainly because your other choice is a Neon.

Never_Enough

Established Member
As they also make me smile. They are still just a neon. But it was fun to see how receptive they were to modifications.

I luckly got out of mine before I saw one on every corner. I never thought it was the fastest thing in the world. It was fun and yes, they dont surprise anyone anymore.

& a Mustang is just a Mustang. Plenty of them on the road. :dw:

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
I wouldn't say a basic SN95 Cobra is "badass". Especially compared to the quality of cars running around on this site.

However...I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon. I don't care if it makes 1000rwhp and can beat the piss out of my GTO. I would take the loss and still smile knowing I still have my man card driving a V8 rwd car that sounds good. Not to mention my wife would divroce me is I did LOL.

I vote Cobra mainly because your other choice is a Neon.

this! :beer::rockon:

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Not even going to bother to read all the comments, since the main reason I wouldn't pick the SRT-4 over the SN95 Cobra is RWD all the way. I could not drive a FWD car regularly. I need the ability to power oversteer.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The SRT-4 is no doubt a blast to drive. Small, quick, fun, and you can actually use the back seats. It doesn't take much to up the power either. A little bigger turbo (often requiring ditching the stupid turbofold) and injectors and you're in business.

However you hit a certain point in power and it gets much, much tougher. Easy to blow up the transmission, axles, diff, you torque steer all over, not so fun. Plus FWD is a bit of a pain to work on in-chassis.

Also what SN-95 Cobra are we talking about? 5.0 or 4.6? I don't have any experience with the 5.0 ones, but if the SN-95 4.6s are half as fun as my 4v swapped NE, They would be great. Not too hard to make power with them, and if you add some boost they're intimidating to say the least. Sure it'll take a few more bucks to add boost than to upgrade the turbo on an SRT-4, but the result is much bigger.

My thought is if you're using this as a DD and see a fair amount of snow, SRT-4. If you're looking at more of a toy and better weather, Cobra.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I choose the SN95 because the NEON didn't race at Le Mans, and beat Ferrari's...like the SN95.

IMO the SN95 is among one of the best looking mustangs ever produced too.

smitty2919

Established Member
Yea...H/C/I 5.0 cobra with full exhaust and a tune would be in the 320hp ballpark (depending on what setup).

5.0 mods are cheap and alllll over the place.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
I had both. well actually I still have the SRT 4. I love it. and yes it is faster than my 97 Cobra. only bad thing about the SRT 4 is trying to get it to hook. but she's hella fun to drive

RSbeast

Established Member
I've owned 2 sn95s, pushrod 5.0 that was stock, hci, hci plus blown, and a bolt on 97 cobra. I've also built up my brothers 94 cobra. Most recently I picked up a 2005 srt4 as a cheap daily (always had dsm's etc). Mine has a catless downpipe with a cutout, bigger intercooler, charge piping, intake, adj wastegate and some suspension mods/shifter. It's currently on 10psi off the wastegate; less than stock boost.

A stock cobra will run mid 14s around 95 mph. I think it'd be a good race for the stock srt4. Pushrod 5.0 14.9 @89 with the timing bumped. My car with multiple thousands hci (afrs etc) went high 12s at 108 on a street tire. The cobra with worked gt40s and an fcam went 13.0s @ 104 on a street tire. Both dynoing @ 300whp. My bolt on 97 cobra went low 14s at 98 on a street tire and 13.5 @ 105 on a radial. I feel the srt4 would currently run with the hci cobra give or take a car from a roll. When I up the boost I expect it to run at or past the afr'd car. I'd say like 17psi. They will not do this from a dig tho.

That said my old 1g gst with $200 and some port work beat both stangs and a 331 sn95 but that's another story. The 5.0s got around 22mpg. Cobra got like 25-26 hwy. Neon averages 25 gets around 30hwy. My 5.0 blown ran bottom 12s at 114 and got 20mpg hwy on the nose. Cobra on a 125 shot went 12.3 s on a street tire at 115.

I think the cobra with a cheap hci and a bottle would be a ticket for cheapness and easy to work on. Cheaper than the 4v car and sound better. Plus t45s are junk. Worse than any t5.

The neon has a 'cheap' 300whp cap with bolt ons but you'll still be @ $1500-2k in with new parts. Mine came with motor mounts etc so I can comment on the hop. Handling wise the srt4 kills the mustang as does the seats. Interiors are equal and both have a fun to drive yet poorly ergonomical layout. Sound is subjective but both are exciting. Plenty of douch bags in 14 sec mustangs loud and slow thinking they're tough so that's a toss up too.

Bottom line I'd daily the srt all day everyday before the mustang. If I was putting together a toy I'd pick the 5.0 cobra , but not if I had to daily it with today's fuel cost plus winters/salt. Ill ruin a neon before a cobra anyday.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
They are not "different", every high school D-bag who can't get a GTI buys one of those things... Plus, most of them are ragged out and beat to piss now. I see 4 of these alone rolling around my 1.5sq mile town. One is owned by an old guy and is bone stock, 2 of them are owned by your typical SRT-4 owner, and one of em is an ACR owned by my friend.

Its gotta be my area then. In a place where every highschool d-bag has a gt500/viper/benz/bimmer, i RARELY see SRT-4s around here.

Also meant 'different' as in your asking a mustang board if they would get a neon or a mustang, so i figured most people would say mustang.

Or be like me, and build up a car thats straight out of the 70's :thumbsup:

Do this!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread