Stall Fix released!!!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by TORCHREDCOBRA
Things sound fishy to me if this is a REAL fix. Like I said I got the previous stalling fix last October and my Idle changed and was different but it did not solve my issue and guess what my computer code changed to - YDH1 (back in October). If this is a totally new fix, the computer code should change to something other than YDH1 doesn't that seem correct ?

ROB

The fishy part is the idle controller hardware. Flashing the ECU won't solve the problem until other items are replaced. Even then, there may be a few cars out there that need to have the entire plenum replaced IMO.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Rob, I don't think Ford changes the computer codes b/w model years, they will just continually update the latest code with the appropriate fixes. If you have to go and buy a PCM for an 03 Cobra, it will be YDH1 (the latest computer code for 03) and it will have the latest reflash done to it. AMZ1 would probably not work on the 03s for some reason as well. Nothing fishy about it, it works where no other prior re-flash has. I have had it done to my car as have many many others and it has fixed every one of us.

Platinum, the IAC is NOT a part of the problem according to SVT. That is why replacing it didn't work on anyone's car but yours apparently. It may have been the problem on your car since the flash you got was not the real fix for the stall and you appear to not have any more stalling issues with the IAC replacement. I am glad your car is without the stall now but mine is as well and no new IAC for me...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
Platinum, the IAC is NOT a part of the problem according to SVT. That is why replacing it didn't work on anyone's car but yours apparently. It may have been the problem on your car since the flash you got was not the real fix for the stall and you appear to not have any more stalling issues with the IAC replacement. I am glad your car is without the stall now but mine is as well and no new IAC for me...

You may be right, but I had an extensive conversation with my service manager who I am good friends with and he's had the IAC replaced on at least 3 stalling '03's and it has solved their problems using a custom dealer flash. I do not have a Ford flash, I have a dealer adjustment.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
I would be curious to see if your custom dealer flash worked w/o the IAT and also, if they did the same thing that this newest flash did in their custom flash. I was happy that my low RPM surge, especially on cold mornings, went away with the new flash as well. I think that was fixed in a prior version but it made me happy none the less.

You have a pretty cool dealer if they will provide a custom flash for you! Most won't. That is a nice perk, would they give you a re-flash after a pulley?? ;)

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I just picked up my car and drove about 30 miles to test it out, highway, traffic, and neighborhoods. Idle never dropped below 750RPM. It used to drop to 500 and bounce back up to 750RPM. It would stall when it didn't "bounce" in time. Well, it is rock solid around 800 RPM now. Tried everything I could think of short of stopping with the car in gear to get it to stall. Hard braking while turning and stopping in neutral....no stall. It's all good so far. Idles smoother and started better too. I could tell that off the bat.

03reptile

Established Member
I've had the new Flash for two weeks now and it is great. No more cold morning surge and the stall is gone. My idle is now around 750RPM and is perfect. I don't have a chip, just exhaust and K&N aircharge system. The new flash cured all my issues. I would strongly recommend everyone get the re-flash for safety reasons alone. Sure as hell can't hurt.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03reptile
I've had the new Flash for two weeks now and it is great. No more cold morning surge and the stall is gone. My idle is now around 750RPM and is perfect. I don't have a chip, just exhaust and K&N aircharge system. The new flash cured all my issues. I would strongly recommend everyone get the re-flash for safety reasons alone. Sure as hell can't hurt.

Is 750 the stationary idle or rolling idle? I'm afraid to get mine reflashed because I'm idling 550-600 at a stop, but never stall (950-1150 RPM's on a roll). Just curious. :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03reptile
750rpm is the stationary idle. Used to be about 500 to 550 prior to re-flash.

Excellent! I might just have it flashed, but maybe the idle settings can be saved in case I run into problems.:beer:

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
When I had mine done, they also replaced the IAC.

--Matt

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
This is stupid.... Stop confusing people

Look I am tech in Ford dealer and I deal with these types of sutuations, being that I am the driveability department. So I know what goes on. The reflash IS out already and if the dealer is equipped with the WDS scan tool and updated with the latest WDS software update, which should be like 29.6 or something, they should be able to reflash the PCM. EVERY Ford dealer should have atleast one WDS.

All you guys that have the stalling issue, take the damn car in the dealership and just say it stalls on decel at times. The dealer WILL reflash it, if they dont, the tech working on it is a DUMBA$$.

STOP calling the dealership and asking if certain service message or reflash is out, cause most likely the service advisor or who ever helps you out doesnt have a fking clue if its out or not unless you are speaking to a driveability technician.

Regarding the reflash messing up your chip, predator, etc... IT WILL override your chip programming and you WILL have to get your chip reprogrammed again.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by 03BlownSnake

Look I am tech in Ford dealer and I deal with these types of sutuations, being that I am the driveability department. So I know what goes on. The reflash IS out already and if the dealer is equipped with the WDS scan tool and updated with the latest WDS software update, which should be like 29.6 or something, they should be able to reflash the PCM. EVERY Ford dealer should have atleast one WDS.

All you guys that have the stalling issue, take the damn car in the dealership and just say it stalls on decel at times. The dealer WILL reflash it, if they dont, the tech working on it is a DUMBA$$.

STOP calling the dealership and asking if certain service message or reflash is out, cause most likely the service advisor or who ever helps you out doesnt have a fking clue if its out or not unless you are speaking to a driveability technician.

Regarding the reflash messing up your chip, predator, etc... IT WILL override your chip programming and you WILL have to get your chip reprogrammed again.

Sounds to me like someone needs a reflash of courtesy! Chill dude. Most of us "stupid" people don't work at the dealership and didn't know. I went to the dealer back in November for the stall and they said the fix would be out in two weeks. It took them 3 months to get it for me. Some of us were trying and the dealership/service dept was screwing us around. I finally got it though and it seems to be "fixed".

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I don't understand the anger here. I think we all know that most dealerships don't have a clue to begin with. You need to start looking around and the first decent dealership you run into, establish a relationship. They will listen and try to help.

Besides, many of the mechanics love to work on these cars since they are so much fun to test drive after the repairs. :beer:

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03BlownSnake

Dude...since you work at a Ford dealership then you know that Ford won't fix a problem if they can't reproduce it. When I brought my car in, I forgot the SSM #. When I got there I told them my car was stalling on decel. They said they would look into it. They called me a little while later and told me they couldn't reproduce the problem. Not until I mentioned the SSM did they do something....

03reptile

Established Member
03BLOWN SNAKE: I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Our group somtimes tends to overthink things which in some instances can be good and others, bad. This is a bad one. I agree with you and you are right on targey about calling the dealers. Fellow 03 owners, do as the man says and you should be fine. As stated, if you have a chip then you'll need to re-program after the flash. IT'S WORTH IT!! Don't be too hard on him, I think as a technician, he was getting weary of all this conversation on a pretty straightforward procedure. I think we should be a little less sensitive and thank him for giving us the straight infor about the flash. As for me, I thank you as well for helping the viewers of this post to be clear on what they need to do and how to go about it. Thank You !!

03Cobvertible

Established Member
Hey 03reptile

Hey,

What dealer did you go to to get re-flashed? Do you know any names? Did you have to leave it there, or can they do it while you wait?

I bought the car at Apple ford in Columbia, but may consider taking it where ever you went.

Also, did you leave your K&N on or put the stock deal back on?

Thanks!

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Re: Hey 03reptile

Originally posted by 03Cobvertible
Hey,

What dealer did you go to to get re-flashed? Do you know any names? Did you have to leave it there, or can they do it while you wait?

I bought the car at Apple ford in Columbia, but may consider taking it where ever you went.

Also, did you leave your K&N on or put the stock deal back on?

Thanks!

That's where I took my car. Make sure when you go there tell them the SSM #. I think mine was the first one because none of them heard of it until I told them what the SSM# was. They also replaced my IAC.

I bought both of my Cobras there. Just make sure you tell them that you are going to wait instead of dropping it off. And besure to make an appointment.

--Matt

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Originally posted by mmars
Dude...since you work at a Ford dealership then you know that Ford won't fix a problem if they can't reproduce it. When I brought my car in, I forgot the SSM #. When I got there I told them my car was stalling on decel. They said they would look into it. They called me a little while later and told me they couldn't reproduce the problem. Not until I mentioned the SSM did they do something....

I didnt mean to sound like a dik, but sometimes people overthink the situation. I understand some Ford dealers need to duplicate a concern before a repair can be made, although in this instance, the service message is out, if the reflash is not done due to the tech not being able to duplicate it is complete BS! Sometimes a tech wont repair, or guess and throw parts at a car is because of our Recheck system Ford dealers have.

I'll explain it. I have gotten 2 Cobras for stalling before the reflash was out. I have tried to figure it out being that I own a Cobra and mine has been stalling since the day I got it. I have replaced fuel pumps, IAC, fuel rail pressure sensors and nothing that I have replaced has fixed it. So on customers cars I just NPF (No problem found) the car because if I throw parts at something and it doesnt fix the problem, the car will be back and now I get a "re-check" that affects my paycheck.

Sounds like BS? yeah, it is, cause my car still stalls at times and it does piss me off like any of you guys.

So in short, if your car is stalling, dont call the dealer asking if certain service message or reflash is out, just take it to the dealership and tell them your car is stalling on decel. They WILL have to reflash the PCM if they verify it or not. Thats the tech's job. The service advisor doesnt know jack, so dont even bother talking to them.

Another point I should probably make, is that sometimes dealerships dont keep their WDS software up to date, so maybe they wont have the new reflash uploaded to the WDS and when you bring the car to the dealer, the WDS will say you have the latest update available, which is not true. I hope you guys get your cars fixed though.

If you guys ever come to Vegas, I'll reflash it! Thats just more money in my pocket!:p

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
So, based on your opinion do you think dealers will reflash without a complaint as severe as stalling? I can't stand the low loping idle and sounds to me like this flash fixes this issue. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread