Started BLET today

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleyotagb

rustback
Established Member
sounds like your doing great. I got a interview tuesday for the BLET class . There's only 24 spots and i think a lot of people are trying to get in so wish me luck.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Nice. I had the same thing. Be ready to answer why you think you would make a good LEO and why you want to do it. they asked me that about two or three times to see if the answers were the same.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Good luck. Start working out now and tons of running. The first week we ran 3 miles a day. Week two we ran 4 miles a day. Now we are running around 6 to 8 miles a day in week 4. This might be diffrant from place to place.

98chromesvt

Established Member
Good Luck Man.. I've been Florida Certified for 2 years with no luck in finding a job. Florida Sucks..:(

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
that sucks to hear. Here most departments have a spot or two open. One department has 35 sposts open. Keep looking.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Good Luck Man.. I've been Florida Certified for 2 years with no luck in finding a job. Florida Sucks..:(

There are L.E.O. jobs in Fla. What have you done to make yourself a standout candidate? What critical skills do you possess besides POST certification?

BK04SVT

i bleed blue
Established Member
Good luck. Start working out now and tons of running. The first week we ran 3 miles a day. Week two we ran 4 miles a day. Now we are running around 6 to 8 miles a day in week 4. This might be diffrant from place to place.

yeah...never heard of that anywhere around here. i know of big cities in NC that run maybe 6-8 miles a few times during 26 week academies, not every day :shrug: your school must be hardcore

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
yosemiddysam - We do 1.5 miles for our tests. I did the first test when i was out of shape. I ran it in just under 11 min.

In our PT we do a lot of running. But that is about it. We will stop on the side of the road and do push ups off the guard rail, Chair dips, and other things. Then we go to the weight room about three days a week. Real low eight and high rep. We do abb work out everyday as well for about 30 min. We are doing a POPAT practice next week. I will keep ya posted on my time.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Good luck. I just talked to a friend's son last week who hopefully starts WV's academy August 1. He said a person had to be nuts to take all the abuse of the tests but he is really excited about taking the training.

98chromesvt

Established Member
There are L.E.O. jobs in Fla. What have you done to make yourself a standout candidate? What critical skills do you possess besides POST certification?

I have dropping applications for over 2 years now. I have pretty much flooded the entire Central Florida area. I have completely processed with many agencies, only to get a letter in the mail saying the position has been filled with a more qualified candidate. I believe the reasoning is that our area is flooded with people with LEO experience due to lay offs. Every agency I process with usually starts out with 40-50 applicants for sometimes 2-3 actual positions.

I have a high school diploma with some college credits. I realize many agencies are looking for at least a 2 year degree. I have also been doing armed security for about 4 months. I just don't really see any positions popping up in my area. I may need to broaden my search, I'm just not sure where to look. I only have about a year and a half until my certification expires, so I hope to find something soon. Any incite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have dropping applications for over 2 years now. I have pretty much flooded the entire Central Florida area. I have completely processed with many agencies, only to get a letter in the mail saying the position has been filled with a more qualified candidate. I believe the reasoning is that our area is flooded with people with LEO experience due to lay offs. Every agency I process with usually starts out with 40-50 applicants for sometimes 2-3 actual positions.

As I stated you need to make yourself a stand out candidate. There are jobs, however they arent just giving them away. Each agency/dept wants the best candidate for their money. That includes education, training, experience, and critical skills.

The more skills you can bring to the table the better chance you have of getting hired.

Also, have you applied to be a reserve deputy? That is a great way to get experience and get your foot in the door.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Just got done with LEO driving. It was a fun week. We had one guy crash a car. Total it, He set the driving teacher to the hospital with a broken neck. Now we are doing SCAT training.

Last edited:

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
I assume he failed?

Today makes 6 weeks remaining for me.

I have been on light duty restricted from running for the last 6 weeks and it REALLY sucks. I hope to get released to run again this Wednesday.

We have DUI, Radar, Homeland defense and practical tests left.

Hope my knee hangs in there for 6 more weeks, then I can get a bionic one after graduation!

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
no they felt bad for him and let him retest and he passed. We get to ride the taser this saturday

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
No Tasers here yet. Our Chief hasnt decided to go with them yet.

I'll take the taser ride to be able to carry one though. Seems like it would be a GREAT tool to have. Tkes the fight right out of someone. Way quicker than pepper and far more debilatating.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
it will be worth it in the end. Then we get to do the ASP training, OC spray and CS gas. I guess it will be good things to have incase i want to go to any other dept.

purpleyotagb

rustback
Established Member
my first night went good we went over orientation and have a test on it today. cant wait for the pt. There will be a retired trooper teaching that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread