still trying to diagnose problems. Please give input

stewarts2008

Established Member
Ok, still getting those check engine lights after my paxton install.

Symptoms:

- SUPER RICH smell
- p0175 and p0172 CELs for banks 1 and 2 being too rich
- hesitation
- some bucking
- going from 11.45 afr during WOT to rich @ 10 afr from 6k RPM- 6.5 RPM and then back to 11.45 from 6.5RPM-7400.

So far, i have:

1) cleaned the MAF with maf cleaner
2) checked that all injectors are seated
3) reseated coil plugs and checked their vacuum
4) checked oil dipstick to ensure vacuum was closed
5) put worm gear clamps on the "tee" fitting for the BOV line on the brake booster line
6) changed tunes
7) inspected for exhaust leaks
8) retightened all I/C pipes and have NO boost leaks
9) visually checked pcv lines for leaks

Im not sure where else to go.

I put new NGK 6510 (1 step colder) plugs in with the kit and gapped them to .032, but thats my next theory. Could one of my plugs be messed up or be gapped too far off on accident and causing that CRAZY RICH smell?

I think i should also get a vacuum tester. Does the 13' wideband have this built in? For Vacuum and Boost?

Is it possible for the BAP to be sending TOO much fuel in? I dont have a very good ground on the BAP, but think it should still be working correctly. It obviously works at WOT just fine.

On my dyno tune, WOT works great, but its everything else that has me concerned.

I initially thought that it was just a tune issue, but after both Lunds base tune and my dyno tune getting the same CELs, im not sure if that is the case.

I want to figure this out with your help as opposed to taking it into a shop and spending more money on it.....All theories and ideas welcome.

stewarts2008

Established Member
well, looks like im just posting this for my own sanity. Hopefully, if i figure it out and somebody has the same problem AND they use the search button, then they can find this one day.

I put the stock spark plugs back in and gapped to .032.... so far so good. It was smelling rich during idle re-learn, but then after that it was much better. I let it warm up and drove it around the block and the smell was almost gone. We will see if I throw a CEL again for the same thing... if i do, then i know it is not the plugs.

I broke 2 of the ngk spark plugs getting them out :/ My torque wrench was also putting the plugs in too tight.... might have to get a smaller one. Its just one thing after the other, but only time will tell.

stewarts2008

Established Member
I can take a look if you wanna drag ass down here. See what's going on.

that would be great man. I had a dyno tune at Racers Edge Tuning in Downey, CA, but both the lund and his tune were eventually throwing CELs for being too rich.

I will of course pay you for your time.... i just want it to be working worry free now.

stewarts2008

Established Member
There are some hairline exhaust leaks at the slip joints of the exhaust, but those are WAY downstream of the front o2 sensors and the rears are turned off. Both tunes I have smell rich in the engine compartment and throw CELs. Lund won't respond to me and hasn't revised my data logs.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
There are some hairline exhaust leaks at the slip joints of the exhaust, but those are WAY downstream of the front o2 sensors and the rears are turned off. Both tunes I have smell rich in the engine compartment and throw CELs. Lund won't respond to me and hasn't revised my data logs.

Maybe contact beefcake or someone closer to Lund. It seems to be a common problem to get back to customers of his.

-Thomas

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Is the BOV also a bypass valve? Meaning at idle and part throttle is the valve open from the vaccume so its dumping air out the valve and at WOT and zero vaccume it shuts so you have boost? If so and its not open at idle and part throttle it will not run right?

Also I know someone who installed a Vortech and overlooked some packing material in the mass air. It was causing all kinds of problems on the dyno. Take a look at the mass air honeycomb and see it theres any packing material stuck in there.

CPRsm

that would be great man. I had a dyno tune at Racers Edge Tuning in Downey, CA, but both the lund and his tune were eventually throwing CELs for being too rich.

I will of course pay you for your time.... i just want it to be working worry free now.
No sweat man. If you can't get it figured we can take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread