Supreme Court Justice Scalia found dead.

cbj5259

Established Member
Obama's two justices have already stated that the 2nd amendment does not apply to citizens. If Obama gets a third bans
and confiscation become a reality, and that is a fact.
While I think that would be the liberal dream...I think the reality is that no law enforcement agency would have the manpower, resources or the stomach to actually roundup guns from citizens. Cops and Feds would meet massive resistance and at the end of the day all of them want to go home. It would take a military effort to do that and at that point the country is already lost.

I don't think we will see active confiscation. But we may see passive confiscation. They may make it easier for people to be declared "mentally incapable" of owning a firearm.

I see lots of people declaring that they lost their firearms on fishing trips.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Obama's two justices have already stated that the 2nd amendment does not apply to citizens. If Obama gets a third bans
and confiscation become a reality, and that is a fact.

Confiscation will never be a reality unless the memory erasing device from Men In Black also becomes a reality.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Confiscation will never be a reality unless the memory erasing device from Men In Black also becomes a reality.

Confiscation will never happen but they will kill ours right with a death by thousand cuts approach.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I didn't realize he had nine kids. I feel bad for the family.
The guy was 80 and his family is well educated and rich.
A death is still sad, but the guy lived a long time and provided really well for his family. Just not a huge tear jerker IMO.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Confiscation will never happen but they will kill ours right with a death by thousand cuts approach.
They will take your guns eventually, just a matter of time.

Anyways, when is the last time we the people used our guns to make change in this country? Oh that is right, only when the government threatens to take our super important guns.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
It's kinda sad that the guy's body isn't even cold yet but the speculation and petty squabbles over future implications over what his replacement will do are taking hold. I didn't agree with many of his votes but I have a very liberal attorney friend who watches the Supreme Court who spoke very highly of Scalia's 4th amendment opinions.

Scalia was a law-abiding and patriotic public servant. Perhaps people should take a day or two to reflect n Scalia's life and legacy before wild speculation and petty squabbles take hold.

o2gt

Established Member
The guy was 80 and his family is well educated and rich.
A death is still sad, but the guy lived a long time and provided really well for his family. Just not a huge tear jerker IMO.
I agree he lived a fairly long life. But I tell from personal experience having lots of money and being well educated will not reduce the pain they feel.

Its sad that we have to resort to talking about the political and legal implications of someones death only minutes after finding out about it. But I accept thats the world we live in today. I very much hope that the senate holds its ground. because we could all be in for some trouble if they don't.
I agree with another poster. An outright confiscation is very unlikely. not that they don't want to do it. but because it would be a political failure. Many people who don't feel strongly about the issue will enter the conversation and more importantly I don't believe it could be pulled off, no matter how hard they tried.

jbs$

Established Member
Justice Scalia's untimely death is a loss to our Country on many levels. Even if a Repuplican President appoints his replacement, it is unlikely that the replacement will be the intellectual giant that was Justice Scalia.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
While I think that would be the liberal dream...I think the reality is that no law enforcement agency would have the manpower, resources or the stomach to actually roundup guns from citizens. Cops and Feds would meet massive resistance and at the end of the day all of them want to go home. It would take a military effort to do that and at that point the country is already lost.

I don't think we will see active confiscation. But we may see passive confiscation. They may make it easier for people to be declared "mentally incapable" of owning a firearm.

I see lots of people declaring that they lost their firearms on fishing trips.

We have already seen confiscation during Katrina. The local PD and sheriff's office were in full cooperation for it too. They went door to door, taking every firearm they found. So as much as we want to believe they wouldn't go for it, they have, and they will.

Second, they will also recruit the DHS to help. After all, they have militarized them and are growing their numbers tremendously.

Lastly, Obama passed a bill that would allow Martial law without actually declaring Martial law. He, as well as future presidents, can seize control of all communication, transportation, etc, and can activate the military, as well as extended his power with the National Defense Authorization Act, which covers pretty much anything they deem as terrorist related. Check out the list of things Obama has deemed as a "terrorist act" if you want to be blown away. For instance, free speech in the presence of secret service, the president, or any other federal official, is not allowed and can be considered terrorist activity.

Spudz

Established Member
I didn't agree with most of the guy's votes and his rhetoric that always seemed to stir everyone up. But he was still a person. Sucks that his death is going to turn this political circus of an election year into a flaming mess of dog shit the likes of which we have never seen before.

Here's to me hoping that Obama does something unexpected and goes for a moderate unaffiliated nomination. I know that's not realistic, but it would certainly restore some order to things to have that swing vote back in place with someone who actually doesn't put politics in front of their duty to uphold the law. Lord knows none of the current judges do that.

Regulars520

Established Member
We have already seen confiscation during Katrina. The local PD and sheriff's office were in full cooperation for it too. They went door to door, taking every firearm they found. So as much as we want to believe they wouldn't go for it, they have, and they will.

Second, they will also recruit the DHS to help. After all, they have militarized them and are growing their numbers tremendously.

Lastly, Obama passed a bill that would allow Martial law without actually declaring Martial law. He, as well as future presidents, can seize control of all communication, transportation, etc, and can activate the military, as well as extended his power with the National Defense Authorization Act, which covers pretty much anything they deem as terrorist related. Check out the list of things Obama has deemed as a "terrorist act" if you want to be blown away. For instance, free speech in the presence of secret service, the president, or any other federal official, is not allowed and can be considered terrorist activity.
Holy drama, The order to confiscate the weapons was not a legal order and the supreme court took care of it with a ruling. It was also publically denied that an order to confiscate was given, which means somebody knew they ****ed up by giving the order and wouldnt admit to it.

On September 23, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana issued a restraining order to bar further firearms confiscations.

Louisiana legislator Steve Scalise introduced Louisiana House Bill 760, which would prohibit confiscation of firearms in a state of emergency, unless the seizure is pursuant to the investigation of a crime, or if the seizure is necessary to prevent immediate harm to the officer or another individual. On June 8, 2006, HB 760 was signed into law.[89] 21 other states joined Louisiana in enacting similar laws. A federal law prohibiting seizure of lawfully held firearms during an emergency, the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006, passed in the House with a vote of 322 to 99, and in the Senate by 84-16. The bill was signed into law by President Bush on October 9, 2006

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
What a terrible thing to happen. Imagine what type of critter could be found to replace him.

Almost as bad as my weekend. I was 60 miles out to sea in my rowboat. Just me and my 2500 pound gunsafe. When this gigantic white whale rose up out of the sea and swallowed the safe whole. A great loss.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
RIP Scalia and bless his family. Another tremendous story of an American that worked hard and contributed to the further greatness of these United States.

Users who are viewing this thread