SVT’s Jamal Hameedi Weighs-In With His Opinion of The 2013 GT500 @ The Nürburgring

McRat

Established Member
...and GM makes nothing to compete with the GT500 and Raptor. :shrug:

I'd say the ZL1 is in the same market as the GT500. GT = More Power, ZL1 = More Chassis.

But, no. The Raptor is unique, and a damn good off road truck. It makes a joke of all other "Off Road" badged vehicles.

germeezy1

Established Member
GM does not have a Raptor competitor....and that is fact not some Fanboi's opinion....just like the FACT that Ford has no competitors for the CTS-V nor Z06.

Poppacapp

Established Member
GM does not have a Raptor competitor....and that is fact not some Fanboi's opinion....just like the FACT that Ford has no competitors for the CTS-V nor Z06.

You are right. They dont have one that was DESIGNED to compete in that CLASS. Although they happened to produce one that takes them BOTH down though. Nice little side effect of the 500.

germeezy1

Established Member
What about the ST?

In Europe yes they do but not in the US. The GT500 is not a better sports luxury sedan than the V, and not a better sports car than the C7. There isn't one manufacturer aside from Pagani or Bugatti that makes the best car in every class it competes in.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
In Europe yes they do but not in the US. The GT500 is not a better sports luxury sedan than the V, and not a better sports car than the C7. There isn't one manufacturer aside from Pagani or Bugatti that makes the best car in every class it competes in.

Just looked it up. I didn't know the Sonic had a performance version.

LEAVNYA

"TOXIC"
Established Member
So after reading the opinion SVT’s main-man himself, what do you think? Are manufacturer produced Nürburgring lap times actually substantive, or are they just marketing fluff?
-SID297:beer:

I personally think it is both. I think it is interesting to see what they run while keeping variables in mind and at the same time it is totally marketing fluff. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us Sid!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The GT500 is not a better sports luxury sedan than the V, and not a better sports car than the C7.

Nobody said it is. Why do you gm nutswingers always compare the GT500 to these? :shrug: Is it because your beloved zl1 can't compete with the GT500? :lol1:

germeezy1

Established Member
Nobody said it is. Why do you gm nutswingers always compare the GT500 to these? :shrug: Is it because your beloved zl1 can't compete with the GT500? :lol1:

Just checked my garage....I see 2 Fords...1 Mopar....1 BMW....0 GM cars. I did not find a ZL1 hiding under a car cover. If some of you didn't spend all your time telling yourselves how your Mustang GT is better than an M3 , and your GT500's are better than CTS-V's this conversation would never come up.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Just checked my garage....I see 2 Fords...1 Mopar....1 BMW....0 GM cars. I did not find a ZL1 hiding under a car cover. If some of you didn't spend all your time telling yourselves how your Mustang GT is better than an M3 , and your GT500's are better than CTS-V's this conversation would never come up.

Each car has a different purpose. Is the GT500 faster than a CTS-V? Of course it is.

kcbrown

Established Member
I'm sorry, did my comment offend you? I forget this forum is filled with flag waving pansies who can't take a dose of reality. Please go ahead and delete my comment, its already been quoted twice.
The GT500 sucks at handling, it can't put its power down, its overweight and for track use its under-braked.
You can go back to waving that GT500 flag now...right below the Bowtie flag, because until Ford can figure out how to put the power down on corner exit, that's where it will be, behind the Camaro

Under braked, huh? With 6-piston Brembo calipers on 15 inch rotors? I don't think so.

I do think that it's likely that Ford used pads that don't have a high enough temperature range for the weight and speed of the car, and that a simple change of pads would pretty much take care of the problem.

The stock fluid is also a weak point, and anyone who was serious about putting these cars on the track would certainly change that to something more suitable before the first track session.

The rest of what you say is nonsense. "Sucks" at handling is not a characteristic of a car that's capable of going around Laguna Seca in less than 1:40. And when it and the ZL1 are going around the track within a couple of seconds of each other per lap, it should be clear that both cars are very comparable in terms of track capability.

You know what the most amusing thing about all this is? That anyone here might actually care about these tiny differences. Because the bottom line is that if you're serious about taking one of these cars onto the track, the first thing you're going to do after you figure out what handling characteristics you want out of them is to modify them to suit your tastes. You'll replace the wheels and tires so as to stuff as much rubber under the chassis as you can. You'll replace the springs and shocks with coilovers because you'll want to lower the car and adjust the compression and rebound settings, not to mention that you'll find that the stock spring rates are just too soft for real performance on the track. You'll get adjustable sway bars so you can dial in exactly how much understeer/oversteer you want. And on and on...

And after you've done all that, how much of a real difference will the stock lap times make? Not one bit, that's how much. Of course, your car won't ride worth beans on the streets, but going fast around the track is all you really care about, right?

But then, if you're truly serious about going fast around a race track, then you won't bother with any of these silly race car wannabes, and instead get yourself a real race car:

which does 1:25 around Laguna Seca, not some pansy 1:39. And in any case, that's where the real competition is, so that's where you should be if you can drive as good as you talk.

:-D

Meanwhile, the rest of us who aren't driving gods will buy cars because they look good, are fun to drive, are affordable, and don't knock our teeth out when they encounter a wayward bump in the street, and take them out on a racetrack because it's fun, regardless of whether or not it beats the competitor's car by a second per lap, and it won't matter whether it has a blue bow tie badge or a blue oval badge on it as long as we like it.

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
I wish the chief of SVT wouldn't use "lol" in an email. I know an email is fairly informal, but sheesh....

Okay, Rings times aren't standardized, but they are still a gauge for overall performance. I do wish Ford would post their Ring times. The fact that Ford and even most Porsche models don't post official ring times is pretty telling IMHO. I love that GM is such a big Ring time company. Since I do road course driving with my ZR1, I love knowing my ZR1 can run a sub 7:20 at the Ring with a damn good driver. It gives me a warm fuzzy and helps me sleep well at night.

really? so if you fly your ZR-1 to nurburgring and the same driver can't get your car near 7:40 because the test car had dot4, special brakes, an aftermarket tune and parts, speced shock setting, different springs, and slicks/DOT race tires. your good.

i get that totally.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
really? so if you fly your ZR-1 to nurburgring and the same driver can't get your car near 7:40 because the test car had dot4, special brakes, an aftermarket tune and parts, speced shock setting, different springs, and slicks/DOT race tires. your good.

i get that totally.

GM has no history of lying at the Ring, and the truth is a pro driver would go even faster than a development engineer.

reason4treason

Established Member
'13/14 GT500/Nurburgring = Mayweather/Pacquiao ?

sounds more like a business decision. if you've already hit a grand slam with the thing, why take the risk. sorta makes sense.

but,...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread