SVT & Z06 not vs. just SVT & Z06

El Culebra

Established Member
No flames and I am not trying to start any BS. but the 05 Z06 is a force to dealt with and so far what I heard about the new Cobra is not that impressive. I sold my Cobra waiting for the 07 model year, but after I thought about it may be not. I had too many quality problems and TSBs it was ridiculous. Check the link out

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin...autos-55738.htm :read:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
El Culebra said:
No flames and I am not trying to start any BS. but the 05 Z06 is a force to dealt with and so far what I heard about the new Cobra is not that impressive. I sold my Cobra waiting for the 07 model year, but after I thought about it may be not. I had too many quality problems and TSBs it was ridiculous. Check the link out

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin...autos-55738.htm :read:

No disrespect but you are basing the statement on the new Cobra which hasn't even been officially confirmed and very few people know of even what "may" go into it. The 07 Cobra could be 400hp as easily as it could be 600 for we know right now.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Been a lot of talk about the new Cobra, but seeing how we are in the biggest "horsepower war" in the entire history of the automobile, I can't see Ford not rolling their sleeves up and going toe to toe with the other manufacturers. Look for a low, low 12 second car at least, at a bodyweight of probably 3,750 which would put crank HP at 475 +/-.........ANd.....dump a couple grand in this beast and with a little traction you're going to have a comfortable, very streetable 10 second car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've come to the conclusion that it is a waste of time at this point arguing about what may or may not happen with the '07 Cobra, if there is one. Until the car is at least at the stage where the new Z06 is, all we're doing is tossing around dreams, hopes and baseless criticisms. Until then, enjoy your '03 and '04 Cobras and those who choose to buy the '05 Vette or the new Z06 will have their fun as well. It's all good IMO. I don't think any of us would want to go back to the mid 70s - early 80s when pony cars were gasping for (hp) breath. LOL! So I am done even complaining about the design of the new Mustang. At least there IS one. One with 300 hp to boot. :)

SlowSVT

Established Member
500 hp cars made available to the general public and Joan Claybrook don't mix. As much as I love high horse power cars the goverment regulators nor the insurance companies are going to let this continue. Get' em while their hot :pop:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i've been waiting for the gvt regulators to step in too and say these cars burn too much gas, polute too much and are just too dangerous for our own good. if this happens the mfgs. will get in line and the horsepower wars will be over. it happened before.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Gotta agree with Bob Cosby......the C6 Z06 is a model year 2006.....Motor Trend just did a big feature on it. Pretty nice car if you have $75,000!!!!!

mike69440

Established Member
Ford's front line car is the Ford GT

Ford's front line car is the Ford GT, so I mantain that anything built on a Mustang new chassis will not be designed to match the performance of the Ford GT.

I expect the 2006 Z06 to be the performance equal of the Ford GT.
Considering that all Ford dealers will really gouge any GT buyers. the 2006 Z06 should be as fast and a more practical versatile car than the Ford GT at 1/2 the price.

"It's power to weight not HP to HP!"

Consider a 600 hp 2006 Mustang that you buid up with Mods.

The car should have about same power to weight ratio as a 2006 Z06, considering the Cobra tips the scales at approx 3750 Lbs.

A coulple of things not in favor of the SVT are.

I extimate 55-58% of weight on front end.
Vette is 50/50
Clunky weak tranny and drivetrain. New Cobra will not be engineered for 600 hp, more like 450-500 Max.
Hoppity Hop IRS
Less tire

Thats in a straight line. An 03 on a road coarse can't match a stock sprung C6 Vette by a long shot, even the C5 outhandles an 03. Do you really think the new SVT car will be that much better? The 2006 Z06 is a race car with street tags, similar to the Ford GT.

The New Cobra will most likely be a nice car, but not in the same league as the supercar group the Ford GT and the Z06 play in.

The specs new 2006 Z06 below say a lot.
Time will tell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

3130#'s (I bet 3200
# more like it)

Approx 6 lbs./HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) 14"F/13"R Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forged Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold
- Ram Air

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...O/c6z1copy1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...O/c6z2copy1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/GarettO/c6z6.jpg

http://www.houstonperformancedrivin...p=8288#post8288

verbal

Established Member
swlacobra said:
i've been waiting for the gvt regulators to step in too and say these cars burn too much gas, polute too much and are just too dangerous for our own good. if this happens the mfgs. will get in line and the horsepower wars will be over. it happened before.

Even though the power has gone up so has the gas mileage on some of these sportscars. The C6 gets 22.6 mpg average and 28mpg highway. I would think that the gov would regulate fullsize SUV's like the Hummer and Excursion before sports cars.

Fast Willy

Established Member
1. Know one knows what going into the new cobra. It could make 1,000hp for all we know and handle better then a evo.

2. There is no 2005 z06.

3. Wait and see when they actaully come out.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
El Culebra said:
Yes there is my man. By the way it's all in fun not to start post wars I love both cars.
Bologna, my man. The C6 Z06 will not be available until model year 06. It was just unvieled at the NAIAS in Detroit. But don't take my word for it - see for yourself. Kindly pay particular attention to the line "Production of the 2006 Corvette Z06 will begin in the second half of 2005 at the Bowling Green , Ky. , Assembly Plant."

BTW....it is most certainly going to be a most AWESOME car - you just gotta have $65k-$75k to spend on an automobile.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
mike69440 said:
Ford's front line car is the Ford GT, so I mantain that anything built on a Mustang new chassis will not be designed to match the performance of the Ford GT.
I expect the 2006 Z06 to be the performance equal of the Ford GT.
Considering that all Ford dealers will really gouge any GT buyers. the 2006 Z06 should be as fast and a more practical versatile car than the Ford GT at 1/2 the price.

-First, let me say that I find it disgusting the way (some) dealers conduct themselves- be it Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota or who ever- with price gouging. They have all gouged at one time or another. Who knows what the end price will be? Then again, it is supply and demand, and I ain't no commie, so I live with it and take my business elsewhere and let that dealer know it.

-Secondly, you don't think Chevy dealers will gouge? They sure will, but if the Z06 is not limited to a couple of years (Like the Ford GT), they won't be able to sustain it. They gouged with the ZR1, they'll do it again. You have NO IDEA what the dealers will be asking for this sick machine until it hits the streets.

-Finally, you cannot compare it to the Cobra, Shelby, or whatever-they-will call-this-thing until it hits the streets. Even when it does, the SVT is more akin to a true GT car, not a 2-seat sports car. Let's compare apples to apples (like the new vette to the Chrysler Firepower if it is ever produced.

Just my .03 (inflation) :p

Last edited:

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
I wonder where we get that the new Cobra will compete with the new Z06. It sounds like the new Z06 will be hanging with the GT. And if they make the Cobra have all of this power, you have to remember they will have to increase the price. If they do that to much they will turn the Cobra into something its not, a high dollar sports car that the working man cant even begin to afford. Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread