SVTPerformance at the 2011 NAIAS for the F-150 EcoBoost Teardown

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Looks like it hammered away at the lower half of the main bearings.. It's probably getting some bolt stretch and crank walk under those grueling conditions. But, I don't think anyone will ever put a Ecoboost through that kind of torture.

Travis

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I got a chance to drive the new Ecoboost in the F150 (4x4 Supercrew) a couple of days ago at Crossroads Ford in Cary, NC.

It is a VERY impressive motor!! It is very smooth and pulls very hard through the entire RPM range!!

TRXboy

Established Member
Neat technology for sure. But I'm not too crazy about the direct injection. Wonder how many top engine cleanings were done on that engine to clean combustion carbon out before teardown? Not trying to be negative, but let's face the facts, they haven't even been able to perfect a spark plug design for over ten years.

IIRC Ford uses a duel injector design to wash the upper half of the valves to eliminate carbon build up, the Japanese guys do the same thing. Only VW/Audi has had the carbon build up issue.

Mach Boy

Established Member
I want to know if it took them as long to tear down that motor as it does in the service manual they use to bill you :D

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
And for those who are curious about my beef with the direct injection...do a little diging. The Germans have been using gasoline direct injection for some time now, and they are having a lot problems with carbon buildup in the runners and eventually holding the valve open. Maybe I'm still a little upset over my old triton 3v:)

your completely correct.
I have a 08 335 with the I6 TT and it suffers from a myriad of fuel system issues.
HPFPs and injectors have been a notorious problem for these motors.. luckily it seems after being sued BMW has resolved the issue.
I had all my injectors replaced a few months back and have not suffered a misfire or rough idle since.
From what Ive gathered most of the issues arose from ethanol content and carbon deposit buildup.

Like someone else has already stated, the ONLY reason this motor shows minimal signs of carbon buildup is due to the high-load and high-stress environment under which it operated. The most effective combatant to DI carbon issues is high rpm for sustained periods of time effectively burning it off..

I do believe however that engineers are able to remedy such issues with proper time devoted, and since turbos and DI are becoming more and more common it is only a matter of time until they become just as reliable as port injected NA motors..

I must say it is hella impressive that this motor withstood such abuse, though I do wonder how often they changed oil, and if any services were done.. regardless its an impressive feat, and my hats off..
These DI TT motors are a.w.e.s.o.me.. Im low 12s @400+hp with just a tune, and it runs like a champ.

Edit : To the post above, if Ford is using such a system that is great news and I hope its the case.

Last edited:

mifordman

Established Member
i have a few questions.
1 does anyone know how often the oil was changed? at recommended intervals or more often due to what they were putting it thru.
2 did any issues occur with the engine during this test, i.e. injector failure, spark plugs, coils etc?
3 when it was in the baja truck did they run the same engine tune, i ask this because i would assume that a race truck would not have catalysts on it.

z28misfit

Established Member
like 2 others mentioned,,,what oil was used? and what was the service interval for the oil change?? That thing is is extremely clean inside for the mileage on it.

Users who are viewing this thread