SVTPerformance at the 2011 NAIAS for the F-150 EcoBoost Teardown

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ok I hate to sound like the gas sipper type. (Notice my 03 F-150 5.4 with blower and 38s)

But when will they build a small, very small version of this motor and stick it in the Fusion? If they could make a really small 4 banger or even 3 that has normal 4 banger hp ratings you would think they could get some awesome MPG's out of it.

hell the 300 HP V6 gets thrity right? They should be able to create a 140 hp very small 4 banger that would get 40+ easy! they would sell a crapload of those.

The fusion hybrid already gets 41 mpg city........

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ok I hate to sound like the gas sipper type. (Notice my 03 F-150 5.4 with blower and 38s)

But when will they build a small, very small version of this motor and stick it in the Fusion? If they could make a really small 4 banger or even 3 that has normal 4 banger hp ratings you would think they could get some awesome MPG's out of it.

hell the 300 HP V6 gets thrity right? They should be able to create a 140 hp very small 4 banger that would get 40+ easy! they would sell a crapload of those.

Ford has a 1.6L EcoBoost in the Fiesta.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
The breathers were put on for the race truck. They are covering the silencers (to hide the turbo noise) that would normally have tubes leading back to the intake. Since the Baja truck had a custom intake and noise was not an issue they just put breathers on it.

Every other part of the engine was stamped FoMoCo...

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
I noticed a lot of the new GM compact cars are coming with a 1.4 turbo or 1.8 N/A. I don't they get that good of fuel economy when you have mid size cars that are much more comfortable to be in that get 30-34mpg.

shelbymopar89

Established Member
Seems like a very stout engine, but I have to wonder how many starts the engine has logged on it. You always hear that starting an engine is one of the hardest things you do to it. I would think that's where a lot of the wear would take place, bearing surfaces, cam lobes and such. Not to mention I don't know a lot of 160k engines that never had to have the starter replaced. I wonder what difference there would be in wear if that engine was actually started as many times as a consumer engine would have been with 160k on the clock.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Could starts are not as harmful as they once were due to the advances in lubrication technology. To put it simply, newer oils are better at sticking to the metal in the engine than oils in the part. This greatly cuts down on start-up wear. As for the starter motor, I don't know of anyone replacing them on newer vehicles these days. To me it seems that starters tend to go bad from age before they do from use.

shelbymopar89

Established Member
Could starts are not as harmful as they once were due to the advances in lubrication technology. To put it simply, newer oils are better at sticking to the metal in the engine than oils in the part. This greatly cuts down on start-up wear. As for the starter motor, I don't know of anyone replacing them on newer vehicles these days. To me it seems that starters tend to go bad from age before they do from use.

I agree that the advances in lubrication technology no doubt helps. But I still believe there is added wear on start-ups. Maybe the design of the engine can help, anti drainback and such. Hydraulic tappets for example, I hear many vehicles reguardless of year tap, tap, tap a few seconds on a start up till they get primed back up. The biggest amount of starter failures I have seen (life exp, I am no mechanic) have been the solenoids, or the teeth on flywheel/starter.

Black Sex

Established Member
As for the starter motor, I don't know of anyone replacing them on newer vehicles these days. To me it seems that starters tend to go bad from age before they do from use.

I work the parts counter at a GM dealership and we do a few a week it seems like. Just last week we had two 2010 Silverados come in the same time for starters.

majorownage

yep
Established Member
Neat technology for sure. But I'm not too crazy about the direct injection. Wonder how many top engine cleanings were done on that engine to clean combustion carbon out before teardown? Not trying to be negative, but let's face the facts, they haven't even been able to perfect a spark plug design for over ten years.

The reason carbon gets in the runners is because of EGR. This engine does not have EGR because it can use it can change the angles on the dohc cams.

Same goes with the new 5.slow

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Seems like a very stout engine, but I have to wonder how many starts the engine has logged on it. You always hear that starting an engine is one of the hardest things you do to it. I would think that's where a lot of the wear would take place, bearing surfaces, cam lobes and such. Not to mention I don't know a lot of 160k engines that never had to have the starter replaced. I wonder what difference there would be in wear if that engine was actually started as many times as a consumer engine would have been with 160k on the clock.

My Cousin has an '05 F-150 with 240K miles on it, bought it brand new, has never touched the motor or starter. He has replaced the alternator and some COP and rebuilt the differential. Nothing to the motor or transmission and it rides and drives great.

Ford build great products and my Cousin is now a believer.

He sells school buses in Mississippi and is pretty much on the road 5 days a week. His previous truck was a '96 Dodge and he put 3 motors and 2 transmissions in it, during the 500K+ miles he drove it.

Users who are viewing this thread