SVTPerformance at the 2011 NAIAS for the F-150 EcoBoost Teardown

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Flat out impressive and I hope their stock keeps making me money. Ford FTW!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Flat out impressive and I hope their stock keeps making me money. Ford FTW!

lol, well I just helped you out there. My neighbor was telling me about this test, this is the first I've seen pictures. I'd love to hear more details about how they maintained the engine, but still, it's damned impressive.

02reaper

Established Member
Here is some video of the tear down.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG6xZ3e4_pI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - Ford F-150 EcoBoost Teardown from NAIAS - Part 1[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8rEGAGMJg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - Ford F-150 EcoBoost Teardown from NAIAS - Part 2[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2d_Y1bmKI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - Ford F-150 EcoBoost Teardown from NAIAS - Part 3[/nomedia]

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
02reaper, thanks for those video lilnks. That was some amazing stuff.

Jim Snover

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
BS, it says in the video it made the same power on an engine dyno before and after they tested it. Theres no way in my mind that those parts could not be worn at least a little bit, I dont believe it would perform that well.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Imagine if they did the twin turbo and direct injection on a V-8.

They have:

Sneak Peek! Ford's "Bobcat" Dual Fuel Engine - PickupTrucks.com News

BS, it says in the video it made the same power on an engine dyno before and after they tested it. Theres no way in my mind that those parts could not be worn at least a little bit, I dont believe it would perform that well.

I was there, everything was as said and shown. That engine had far less wear on it than some I have seen with 30,000 miles on them.

bullitt3055

Established Member
Amazing stuff right there... very impressed

Mine is not an ecoboost but I'm extremely happy with my 2011 Taurus SEL

Smooth and strong 3.5L 265hp luxury mobile that in my opinion way better than the good reviews it gets. No other sedan out there comes close and those which do will cost you an extra 15-20K Ford has stepped it up big time on this and several other models....

Motor pulls effortlessly on the highway where I regularly cruise 70-125 mph to and from work from Dubai to Abu Dhabi...

Love the 3.5L .... Go Ford !

No ecoboost SHOs here yet but doesnt matter ... I'm happy

Last edited:

mysteed

Established Member
Because an SHO owner who blow up his motor with a really aggressive tune and got it replaced under warranty and bragged about it on MF. Ford is encrypting all turbo engines PCMs which is all Eco-boost and 6.7 PSDs. There is also a TSB about tuning these motors.
Yes there is a TSB but all it tells is what to look out for when it comes to modifications and how such modifications can be potentially harmful to the engine. The same BS was in 03/04 with the Terminators and 99-04 for the Lightnings.

edit:

Copied from the main part of the TSB:

TSB 10-2-6

02/15/10

AFTERMARKET POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
CALIBRATION, NON-FACTORY MODIFICATION OR
AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS

FORD:
2010 Taurus, Flex

LINCOLN:
2010 MKS, MKT

ISSUE
Some 2010 Taurus, Flex, MKS and MKT vehicles equipped with an EcoBoost engine may have unauthorized aftermarket modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
IIRC Ford uses a duel injector design to wash the upper half of the valves to eliminate carbon build up, the Japanese guys do the same thing. Only VW/Audi has had the carbon build up issue.

Ford does not use a double injector design.

Yes there is a TSB but all it tells is what to look out for when it comes to modifications and how such modifications can be potentially harmful to the engine. The same BS was in 03/04 with the Terminators and 99-04 for the Lightnings.

edit:

Copied from the main part of the TSB:

True.

Black Sex

Established Member
The total mileage of 160K which was stated above, does that include the 150K miles they ran the engine through on the dyno before they put it in the truck? Or did I miss understand something?

Black Sex

Established Member
Thats still impressive. Also currious if they had any problems with the truck?
Which truck won the up hill tow race?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ford has now posted Episode 6 in the EcoBoost Torture Test Series.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test Episode 6: Teardown

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lToZuwbQhLk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lToZuwbQhLk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>​

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I did see the parts under glass when I was at the show. Def. impressed at the little amount wear at 160K. I did not realized this engine was disassembled at the show.

I liked the small K and N breather. It's kinda like Manley rods in an OEM engine....go figure.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q_Jge9_K8RQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I did see the parts under glass when I was at the show. Def. impressed at the little amount wear at 160K. I did not realized this engine was disassembled at the show.

I liked the small K and N breather. It's kinda like Manley rods in an OEM engine....go figure.

The breathers were put on for the race truck. They are covering the silencers (to hide the turbo noise) that would normally have tubes leading back to the intake. Since the Baja truck had a custom intake and noise was not an issue they just put breathers on it.

efuehrin

Established Member
Ok I hate to sound like the gas sipper type. (Notice my 03 F-150 5.4 with blower and 38s)

But when will they build a small, very small version of this motor and stick it in the Fusion? If they could make a really small 4 banger or even 3 that has normal 4 banger hp ratings you would think they could get some awesome MPG's out of it.

hell the 300 HP V6 gets thrity right? They should be able to create a 140 hp very small 4 banger that would get 40+ easy! they would sell a crapload of those.

Users who are viewing this thread