T56 Magnum xl swap/no cruise control. HELP!

87hatchy

Established Member
I've been working on this for a while....slowly. Vmp helped me try a few strategies, but after none of them worked kinda gave up. Basically, you would need someone to provide you with a Crapton of strategies that could then be modified to you car......nobody seems to be willing to do this. I'm thinking about putting my mt82 back in now and selling this thing because of the cc issue even though I love the tranny. JPC states it's the strategy but they don't offer one that works when you buy it from them....which Should probably be on their website.

I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know entirely whats going on with this issue but.....seriously? You're THAT upset over freaking cruise control that you're going to get rid of your T56 and go back to an MT82? My goodness is that ridiculous in my opinion.

benzopyrene

Established Member
I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know entirely whats going on with this issue but.....seriously? You're THAT upset over freaking cruise control that you're going to get rid of your T56 and go back to an MT82? My goodness is that ridiculous in my opinion.

Yes I'm frustrated. I drive my car about 70 hwy miles a day....would have been nice to know about this. Yes I'm considering going back to the mt-82 because it bothers me enough. I think it's ridiculous that you have an opinion about how I want my car to function for what I use it for....seriously are you 12. Go contribute on somebody else's thread....in MY opinion you should.

87hatchy

Established Member
Yes I'm frustrated. I drive my car about 70 hwy miles a day....would have been nice to know about this. Yes I'm considering going back to the mt-82 because it bothers me enough. I think it's ridiculous that you have an opinion about how I want my car to function for what I use it for....seriously are you 12. Go contribute on somebody else's thread....in MY opinion you should.

lol @ you for modding a car that you drive 70 highway miles PER DAY before doing the research on it. That's a terrible decision and now you're whining about it. Not to mention attacking me for my opinion and then giving me your opinion as if you're allowed to give one and I'm not? You're looking more like the 12 year old here.

hand-filer

Established Member
Never argue with a troll. It's a losing proposition. As for this being a strategy problem I don't buy into that. There would be a bunch of MT-82 tuned cars with the cruise issues. Someone else needs to confirm Dr Triton's theory that it's the Abbot box. Go for it before you swap back to the MT-82.

Last edited:

rcmikey

Established Member
I have also done the magnum xl swap and have made it a point to determine why the cruise does not work for different people. This is what I believe is the reason along with my reasoning. During the install I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible. Mainly the idea of the abbott or Dakota digital box causing the problem. I can say for certain the conversion box has nothing to do with it unless it is wired wrong. How did I come up with this? Instead of using the speed sensor that comes with the magnum I decided to fabricate a sleeve to accept the factory mt-82 speed sensor. This way I could completely isolate the speed sensor input through the conversion box as part of the problem. Using SCT software to adjust the pulses per revolution from the stock 33 to 12 PPR gives the pcm the correct information to calculate vehicle speed correctly. This tuning edit was the only thing that was changed. Thus my conclusion the box has nothing to do with it. During the test drive the cruise did work but only in the gears that are similar in ration between the mt-82 and the magnum xl you have installed. If you are to compare the ratios between the 2.66 magnum xl and mt-82 you will find there are two gears that are the same ratio (4th in the mt-82 is the same as 3rd in the magnum xl and 5th in the mt-82 is the same as 4th in the magnum xl) Get the picture? That answers why all magnum xl swaps from mt-82 to the 2.66 magnum have only 3rd and 4th gear cruise control. Now what about the 2.97 magnum xl? Well that's easy. If you chose this gear ratio your cruise will only work in 4th and 6th. Then there are the guys that claim it works only in 3rd,4th and 6th. Wonder why? Well they have chose the 2.66 magnum xl and had the overdrive gears swapped out from the 2.97 trans. If you spend enough time carefully researching the many threads about cruise not working after the swap you will find exactly what I have concluded. Don't forget the guys that swap from the mt-82 in the V6 cars. Remember these cars have different ratios. The common thread that gives predictable results to all of this is what ratios are the same between the before and after transmission ratios. I have been looking for a solution in the n/v ratio somewhere in the tune. As far as I can tell the pcm only knows what gear you are in by comparing vehicle speed and engine rpm. So far there is nowhere in the tune I can find that allows you to change the n/v ratios accepted by the cruise. That is if I am looking in the right area anyway. I do not subscribe to the idea that cruise control operation in different gears depends on what strategy you are using in your car. Someone has mentioned they were using a boss strategy and cruise did not work at all. I can agree with that completely. If you use a 2012 boss base file in a 2013 or 2014 car my experience has been that the cruise will not work at all. Noting that the amber light in the dash will not even light up when activating the cruise on switch. Its all in the details. You have to ask yourself is the cruise not setting when hitting the set button or is the cruise light in the dash not coming on at all? The amber light means its on but not set, the green comes on when the cruise is set. I mention these details because saying the cruise wont work at all requires more information to help solve our main problem. I hope this sheds some light on this issue. Any and all comments are welcome to get our cruise control to work again in all gears like it did before we made the change. Yes I understand some will say cruise don't matter anyway. "its a hotrod" "race cars don't need cruise" etc. Hope we can solve this.

Flcracker

Established Member
My T56 Mag XL 2.97 does not have CC which sucks for me since I've had two back surgeries with rods and screws and holding the gas peddle down for long periods is actually pretty damn uncomfortable. So I don't take it on long trips anymore.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
My T56 Mag XL 2.97 does not have CC which sucks for me since I've had two back surgeries with rods and screws and holding the gas peddle down for long periods is actually pretty damn uncomfortable. So I don't take it on long trips anymore.

rcmikey

Established Member
Have you tried it in 4th? 1 to 1 ratio? The .8 5th gear must be close enough to work for some reason but not in line with my explanation. 6th on yours is very close to the stock .65 for the mt-82 which would support my theory. I know the .74 on mine does not seem close enough to the .65 of the mt-82 to activate the cruise. Do you know if anything had been changed to make your 5th gear work?

rcmikey

Established Member
I would like mine to work in at least 6th gear. I love this transmission. I could not be happier. If I could only come up with a solution to the cruise. I am open to all constructive ideas that help to provide us an answer. Any ideas?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Lol when i had my mt-82 i never tried 4th gear cc only 5th and 6th which are my highway cruising gears!

rcmikey

Established Member
Like you I only used cruise on the highway in 6th anyway. Before I did the swap I purposely tried my cruise in top four gears to have a baseline. As long as I was above the minimum cruise activation mph threshold it worked in 3rd thru 6th. I didn't try in second because it would take too much rpm to get to 30mph with 4.1 gears. I am guessing the n/v setting have everything to do with the cruise working. I am curious why 5th and 6th both work in yours. That kills my reasoning. I will continue to research this and share my findings. I purchased my conversion kit from JPC and I do understand why most don't care about the cruise not working. I have asked them about the solution recently but unfortunately its not a priority for most per my understanding. No harm no foul. I would gladly pay for the solution if one could be verified. I had even toyed with the idea of swapping the overdrive gears out to mimic the mt-82 final overdrive. There is something to say about a 9 second car that is street driven with all the bells and whistles.

Users who are viewing this thread