T56 Magnum xl swap/no cruise control. HELP!

konabluekiller

Established Member
Bought a 13 boss 302 from a friend. Already has a D1sc, t56, kooks longtubes, and full kooks exhaust.... tuned by Triangle Speed Shop 3 days ago and made 740whp on 12psi and 93 octane....

When they retuned they swapped to the gt500 programming for the speed sensor, and I had to change the settings on my Abbott speed box to put the speed back correct on the speedometer. It's almost dead on with gps, but my cruise control still doesn't work in ANY gear at ANY speed. If It just worked in 6th like some people's I'd be happy... The guy that wired it up has wires running everywhere, not taped or loomed in any way. Can someone please give me a walk through on what should be hooked where, and what I can do to get CC working on this thing? Any help is appreciated!

konabluekiller

Established Member
Also.... looking at the trans, there's 2 sensors near the rear. One is a black plug that has two black wires. One wire seems to be to ground and one wire to something on the Abbott box. I'm thinking it's going 5 the white wire that is the "speed sensor" wire on the box. Then farther back there's another sensor on the shifter housing it seems with a pink and green wire. Which he didn't hook to anything. What should those go to? Or better yet just tell me what the box should go to if it's Installed correctly.....

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
There are a total of 3 sensors in the T56 magnum, up from 2 in the MT82. The MT82 does not have a reverse lockout solenoid.

Reverse light switch: On the passenger side of the T56 case. 2 wire plug
Vehicle speed sensor: 3 wire plug, I forget where exactly it's mounted. I believe it's on the passenger side of the case
Reverse lockout solenoid: Mounted at the shifter box on the driver's side of the transmission. 2 wire plug

My cruise control works in 6th gear only and because it does work in the only gear I would actually use it, I have not explored a fix.

I have my gearing correct in my tune and used the converter box included in my T56 kit to have a working speedometer. I cut the ends off of my original reverse light plug and soldered them onto the reverse light plug of the T56 magnum's reverse light switch. Plug and play.

The reverse lockout solenoid is optional, but I wired mine up to my brake light switch.

BUCKET

Established Member
Same here. Did my own t56 swap on my '13 boss and using the supplied speedo box my speedo is on with gps. Cruise works in 4th and 6th only

konabluekiller

Established Member
Well when he first hooked It up the tune wasn't refreshed. He called abbott and they told him the sequence of switches to trip inside the box to make the speedo right. But the tune still needed changing so Triangle Speed Shop changed it over to the gt500 stuff, and I called abbott and got the new sequence of switches to flip inside the box. My cruise still isn't working in any gear before or after this was done. Can anyone go over how the Abbott box was hooked up exactly? The reverse lockout isn't hooked up. I guess that's the sensor with the pink and green wires? That's on the shifter housing...?

konabluekiller

Established Member
Nobody has anything to add? Tried calling JPC and the guy on the phone basically said they know how to fix it but it's their secret and won't tell me??? Wtf

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Had my t-56 installed by JPC and my cruise control works in 5th and 6th gear. Think about it if JPC tells you how to fix it you will likely tell others and next thing you know they are flooded with phone calls from people who never had anything to do with JPC! It's not personal, you just have see it from their prospective!

konabluekiller

Established Member
Yeah well this is a mustang community that should help each other. They should share with Triangle Speed Shop who tuned my car so they can fix it up. Or better yet post it on here to help others with their troubles. Do you have the 2.66 gear set or the 2.97?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
2:97 gear set 3:90's in the rear diff! Love this tranny just changed the fluid over from mobile 1 synthetic atf to Amsoil synthetic atf ...Amsoil made a noticeable difference!

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Nobody has anything to add? Tried calling JPC and the guy on the phone basically said they know how to fix it but it's their secret and won't tell me??? Wtf

Well if you didn't purchase it from them then I see where they are coming from.

Someone should still post it on here or Atleast make a sticky.

konabluekiller

Established Member
2:97 gear set 3:90's in the rear diff! Love this tranny just changed the fluid over from mobile 1 synthetic atf to Amsoil synthetic atf ...Amsoil made a noticeable difference!

The guy that did this swap did the 2.66 gearset. What I'm thinking might be the problem is that TSS used the gt500 programming in the ecu when they retuned which is the ratios you have. And they need to put the ratios that I have. Idk, I'm stumped

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The guy that did this swap did the 2.66 gearset. What I'm thinking might be the problem is that TSS used the gt500 programming in the ecu when they retuned which is the ratios you have. And they need to put the ratios that I have. Idk, I'm stumped

Worth looking into!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Eric at JPC told me you need to have the tune set up for the correct gearing. End thread/

What's interesting about that statement is that my tune has the correct gear ratios and rear end ratio etc but CC only works in 6th gear. Regardless of what speed I'm driving, CC works in 6th gear but no other gear. It's strange. I would prefer it working in all gears but 6th is enough for me. I'm more curious why it doesn't work in the other gears than anything else.

Benchracer

Established Member
What's interesting about that statement is that my tune has the correct gear ratios and rear end ratio etc but CC only works in 6th gear. Regardless of what speed I'm driving, CC works in 6th gear but no other gear. It's strange. I would prefer it working in all gears but 6th is enough for me. I'm more curious why it doesn't work in the other gears than anything else.

He said it will usually work in 5th and 6th but sometimes just 6th.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Only used my cc with my mt-82 in 5th and 6th never bothered to check to see if any other gears worked. You really don't need it in 1,2,3,4, but yeah 5 and 6 which happens to be the 2 overdrive gears in a tremec! I've also noticed a trend when following t-56 threads guys that install themselves seem to have this issue more often then guys who have it installed! So that tells me its tune related!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread