T56 Magnum xl swap/no cruise control. HELP!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Only used my cc with my mt-82 in 5th and 6th never bothered to check to see if any other gears worked. You really don't need it in 1,2,3,4, but yeah 5 and 6 which happens to be the 2 overdrive gears in a tremec! I've also noticed a trend when following t-56 threads guys that install themselves seem to have this issue more often then guys who have it installed! So that tells me its tune related!

I would much rather install a transmisson myself then pay a shop to do it. Learn more about the car and save money for other mods.

Reminds me of the guy sitting on the side of the freeway and his car is broken or acting funny, I pull over to help him out, guy says IDK I didnt build it, I drive away.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I would much rather install a transmisson myself then pay a shop to do it. Learn more about the car and save money for other mods.

Reminds me of the guy sitting on the side of the freeway and his car is broken or acting funny, I pull over to help him out, guy says IDK I didnt build it, I drive away.

What you just said has nothing to do with the topic, I said what I said to show that this issue is likely to be tune related, besides the op didn't install this Tremec he bought the car with the Tremec already in it...

Hijack attempt avoided...lol

konabluekiller

Established Member
It's a simple install with the Abbott box and all from what I see. I just wanted to make sure it was ran to the correct wires. I'm going into TSS tomorrow to make sure the tune is for the 2.66 gearset and not the 2.97 set.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What you just said has nothing to do with the topic, I said what I said to show that this issue is likely to be tune related, besides the op didn't install this Tremec he bought the car with the Tremec already in it...

Hijack attempt avoided...lol

No your talking about people that are installing it themselves at home are having these problems. Not everyone can afford to have JPC build everything on there car like you have. I dont see the problem with someone installing it themselves and then asking JPC or anyone else for the fix. It wont be a top secret thing forever.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
No your talking about people that are installing it themselves at home are having these problems. Not everyone can afford to have JPC build everything on there car like you have. I dont see the problem with someone installing it themselves and then asking JPC or anyone else for the fix. It wont be a top secret thing forever.

If it was a simple fix it would have been a sticky on this forum. JPC not telling him lets you know its the tune, and I'm confident when the op takes his car in to be retuned they will get to the bottom of it.

As far as my car is concerned JPC did the sc, the tranny and the gears and the off road x with tune update. If you look at my sig there's a lot more then that on my car!

There's nothing wrong with doing everything yourself, all I said was in the threads I've followed with the t-56, self install guys are having the same issue as the op! And the 1 thing that a self installer doesn't do is tune the car themselves in most cases. Gives me an idea where the problem is and how it will be fixed!

NWBoss

Established Member
If it was a simple fix it would have been a sticky on this forum. JPC not telling him lets you know its the tune, and I'm confident when the op takes his car in to be retuned they will get to the bottom of it.

As far as my car is concerned JPC did the sc, the tranny and the gears and the off road x with tune update. If you look at my sig there's a lot more then that on my car!

There's nothing wrong with doing everything yourself, all I said was in the threads I've followed with the t-56, self install guys are having the same issue as the op! And the 1 thing that a self installer doesn't do is tune the car themselves in most cases. Gives me an idea where the problem is and how it will be fixed!

So, any solution you guys can share? Technician did the T56 XL conversion but the cc only works in 4th. Car has the factory tune. I have the 2.97 gear set for first four gears and the 2.66 gears in the 5th and 6th gear. I do not think that Ford technicians can change the gears in the tune. Will I need a custom tune by a non Ford tuner for the cc to start working at least in the 6th gear? I do not really care the rest. Car is a 2013 Boss. Thank you for the help!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
So, any solution you guys can share? Technician did the T56 XL conversion but the cc only works in 4th. Car has the factory tune. I have the 2.97 gear set for first four gears and the 2.66 gears in the 5th and 6th gear. I do not think that Ford technicians can change the gears in the tune. Will I need a custom tune by a non Ford tuner for the cc to start working at least in the 6th gear? I do not really care the rest. Car is a 2013 Boss. Thank you for the help!

So you have an untouched factory tune with the T56 car? 3.73 gear still?

Man I bet your speedometer is way off if they set the signal converter up correctly. You'll need to have the tune adjusted to reflect the new gear ratios or I imagine the computer is going to do some funky things with torque management among others.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I dont know how i missed this or who you talked too

How ever i will say it gets frustrating when every magnum owner in the county calls us to help fix their issues.

We sell alot of these swaps however i can't just provide free tech information 24/7 and not be compensated.
You guys do have to realize this shop is how we pay for food for our kids, rent, gas and everything else for that matter.

Now i hope i didnt come off like a dick but thats the reality of 90% of our phone calls every day
"Hey i have never done business with you but can you fix my issues"

Now on to the topic at hand.
From what we have encountered here at the shop.
A you must have a abott box in order for the speedo and or cruise control to work
If you bought the box from us the switches were already programmed to work of a Magnum XL regardless of ratio

Now you need to go in and change all your ratios to match the magnum

3rd cross your fingers

Most of the time we get them working in 5th 6th or just one or the other.

There is no way (from undertsnding) to make anything work past that.

Our thoughts are its something to do with different strategy codes. I dont know which ones works and which one doesnt but thats my best guess

i would love to devote more time to finding the real fix but there currently not enough hours in the day to figure it out right now. We are a very small company and have to keep working at new parts and labor to keep the lights on

I will provide any help i can

Thanks hope you understand

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

How ever i will say it gets frustrating when every magnum owner in the county calls us to help fix their issues.

We sell alot of these swaps however i can't just provide free tech information 24/7 and not be compensated.
You guys do have to realize this shop is how we pay for food for our kids, rent, gas and everything else for that matter.

Now i hope i didnt come off like a dick but thats the reality of 90% of our phone calls every day

A you must have a abott box in order for the speedo and or cruise control to work
If you bought the box from us the switches were already programmed to work of a Magnum XL regardless of ratio

3rd cross your fingers

Our thoughts are its something to do with different strategy codes. I dont know which ones works and which one doesnt but thats my best guess

i would love to devote more time to finding the real fix but there currently not enough hours in the day to figure it out right now. We are a very small company and have to keep working at new parts and labor to keep the lights on

Good post Eric. That seems to be the general consensus. For whatever reason, my cruise control works in 6th gear and that's it. Odd issue to have but since I only need CC in 6th, I don't even give it a second thought.

You coming down to Bradenton in March? Would be cool to meet you guys and put faces to names :beer:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Good post Eric. That seems to be the general consensus. For whatever reason, my cruise control works in 6th gear and that's it. Odd issue to have but since I only need CC in 6th, I don't even give it a second thought.

You coming down to Bradenton in March? Would be cool to meet you guys and put faces to names :beer:

I might come down. for NMRA it depends if i go to TK2k14 to watch this red boss lay the smack down

konabluekiller

Established Member
i wasnt looking for a free handout.. even told the guy on the phone that i had a list of parts to buy and was willing to buy them from yall, as to compensate for a little bit of knowledge... but its cool it's figured out... thanks

3rd cross your fingers

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
i wasnt looking for a free handout.. even told the guy on the phone that i had a list of parts to buy and was willing to buy them from yall, as to compensate for a little bit of knowledge... but its cool it's figured out... thanks

What was the fix?

NWBoss

Established Member

3rd cross your fingers

Eric: First, I am not sure if the beginning of your reply about free tech ninformation was directed to me or to someone else. Second, Thank you for replying to my technical question and in a constructive way with details. Third, I would like to clarify that I bought the conversion box, flywheel, and clutch from JPC. So, I am one of your customers. As a matter of fact I posted (about a week ago so before I asked this question here) your company in the GoodVendor Thread of the BossMustangsOnline site. Good Vendor Thread
(Post by NWBoss). I certainly understand your frustration if people who do not buy anything from you want to have free advice. The good news is that I am not one of them. :thumbsup:
I sent an email to JPC yesterday with the same question but did not receive a response, yet (although I had the invoice number on it). Just saying in case you run across of it, so do not get mad. :)

Could you please, clarify one point in your response?
As I said above we bought the box from you and the technician verified the speed with GPS and it was working fine. When you say this: "you need to go in and change all your ratios to match the magnum". Did you mean to get in the tune and change the ratios there? Was this an advice to me or was that an advice to someone who did not buy the abott box from JPC? Did the "in" refer to the non-JPC abott box or the tune or something else?

Thank you again, for your products and support of your customers and contributions on this board! As you can see from my GoodVendor post at BMO, I have a great opinion about JPC and their professional staff. I am sure that whatever blocks the cc to work in 6th is minor and with your help my technician and I will be able to figure it out.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
You need to go in the tune and update the transmission ratios to match that of the t56 in addition to the rear end ratio if you have changed it out. That is in addition to setting up the abbot box correctly.

NWBoss

Established Member
You need to go in the tune and update the transmission ratios to match that of the t56 in addition to the rear end ratio if you have changed it out. That is in addition to setting up the abbot box correctly.

Thanks a lot! Yes, rear is still the same. Will a Ford and Ford Racing Parts Dealer's technician be able to do it? That is, do they have the necessary software? In any case I guess I should be fine because the car will be supercharged and then tuned but would be good to have the cc work even before the SC.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Thanks a lot! Yes, rear is still the same. Will a Ford and Ford Racing Parts Dealer's technician be able to do it? That is, do they have the necessary software? In any case I guess I should be fine because the car will be supercharged and then tuned but would be good to have the cc work even before the SC.

I don't think so. I think it will require someone going in and flashing in a new tune and I don't think that's something a tech can do. I could be wrong though.

NWBoss

Established Member
I don't think so. I think it will require someone going in and flashing in a new tune and I don't think that's something a tech can do. I could be wrong though.

OK so we tried the new tune with correctly set gear ratios and it did not help. We are out of ideas. Anybody got an engineering solution beyond the black magic stuff? I am asking because this should not require a doctoral degree in rocket science. I mean we know that the supposedly exact same Abbott box with supposedly exact same pin setting from JPC does work in some cases when the tune's gear ratios are set. Or at least they work in 6th. And in some cases it does not. So something is clearly different. What is that: the year of the car? The tune? The Tremec XL 56 gear ratios?

My car's CC works only in 4th gear. Car is a 2013 Boss 302 with an AED tune and JPC conversion box. Tremec XL 56 gear ratios are:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 2.10
3rd: 1.46
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.74 SWITCHED in from 2.66 XL 56
6th: 0.50 SWITCHED in from 2.66 XL 56
Rev: 2.90

What year, tune, gear ratios, and model do the guys with working and non-working CC have? What gear does your CC work in? Could you please, post your experience? If your CC after the Tremec conversion did not work and you got it fixed in a particular shop, could you please, let us know the name/location of the shop? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread