Terminator Future Value Opinions

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's vert...barely worth anything right now so I don't think they will go up. Coupe is worth $10k more same shape, miles, mods.

Heck i had a nice 97 Cobra vert and bought my 03 vert for not much more.
That's another reason I'm trying to trade it for a Fox. 03 verts don't seem to be as desirable as 03 coupes.

Even in the Fox world I won't even look at a convertible lol....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
I've sat back and thought of this as well. I see all these people buying nice low mile examples of the 03/04 cobras to sit on as an investment. I think they're out of their minds doing that. Maintaining, storing, insuring, and repairing cars for extended periods of time is just not worth it imo. If you wanted to buy a cobra as an investment. You should have done it 5-10 years ago and sold it recently. There were 19,140 terminators made over two years. There are those that are worth a lot of money, and there are those that are basically being purchased to part out, or just to say you've had one.

I hate to be that guy, but I don't foresee many if any cobras bringing big dollars on the auction blocks in 20 years. Of those big dollar cars, will the owner even be making money if all storage fees, insurance bills, repairs, and maintenance items were added up? I really don't think so. They weren't diverse enough. you had a handful of options. Spoiler delete, satin or chrome wheels, anniversary package, seat insert color and paint. (top color if vert.)

On the flip side of that, fox bodies were a dime a dozen car for a LONG TIME. There were an ESTIMATED 2.6 MILLION built including all trims, body types, and power plants. Everyone has a foxbody story of sorts. Their mom and dad had one, their family member had one, they drooled over the one that ran around town, or they couldn't ever beat that one at the track. This will help with values, but not enough to make them a "high end collector car," but Id bet my left nut that a nice 93 calypso green notch will bring a lot more than people would imagine in 20 years

If you're keeping any car for an investment. you're crazy. That's why I bought a clapped shell cobra and am rebuilding it. Ill be in it cheaper than buying a running car. I wont be afraid to drive it because its not a collector quality car, and I've always wanted one. If I make a few bucks over initial investment price, ill be happy. But ill be 100% more satisfied with the time i'm going to spend with my ass in its seat, and its rear end sideways.

Buy the fox.

LS WUT

Established Member
I don’t know, I guess maybe I’m strange. I wouldn’t say I bought a low mileage cobra to sell later, even though I’m sure I could profit a bit from it. However I guess I always wanted to own a low mileage unmolested coupe. To me it’s nostalgia, and a life size model car for me to look at with joy. Then of course I bought yet another coupe so I could drive it, and enjoy the hell out of it. I’m glad I did, the amount of bullshit that’s happened to my black one I’d have lost my mind had that happened to my 19k mile Coupe. I love to scoot around in my 88 notch because it’s slow as hell for now, but if someone hits it or door dings it I won’t mind as much.
E20D5D50-1773-4793-943B-869BD9251787.jpeg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I've sat back and thought of this as well. I see all these people buying nice low mile examples of the 03/04 cobras to sit on as an investment. I think they're out of their minds doing that. Maintaining, storing, insuring, and repairing cars for extended periods of time is just not worth it imo. If you wanted to buy a cobra as an investment. You should have done it 5-10 years ago and sold it recently. There were 19,140 terminators made over two years. There are those that are worth a lot of money, and there are those that are basically being purchased to part out, or just to say you've had one.

I hate to be that guy, but I don't foresee many if any cobras bringing big dollars on the auction blocks in 20 years. Of those big dollar cars, will the owner even be making money if all storage fees, insurance bills, repairs, and maintenance items were added up? I really don't think so. They weren't diverse enough. you had a handful of options. Spoiler delete, satin or chrome wheels, anniversary package, seat insert color and paint. (top color if vert.)

On the flip side of that, fox bodies were a dime a dozen car for a LONG TIME. There were an ESTIMATED 2.6 MILLION built including all trims, body types, and power plants. Everyone has a foxbody story of sorts. Their mom and dad had one, their family member had one, they drooled over the one that ran around town, or they couldn't ever beat that one at the track. This will help with values, but not enough to make them a "high end collector car," but Id bet my left nut that a nice 93 calypso green notch will bring a lot more than people would imagine in 20 years

If you're keeping any car for an investment. you're crazy. That's why I bought a clapped shell cobra and am rebuilding it. Ill be in it cheaper than buying a running car. I wont be afraid to drive it because its not a collector quality car, and I've always wanted one. If I make a few bucks over initial investment price, ill be happy. But ill be 100% more satisfied with the time i'm going to spend with my ass in its seat, and its rear end sideways.

Buy the fox.
Very sound advice and perspective. I get you are not a buy, preserve and sell kind of guy. But look at the MC cars. Low mile examples are bringing in good money these days. So, it is possible to buy, preserve and make a profit.

I get the Fox Body was made for several years and there are way more Fox's than Terminators. However, I have chosen a very small market of Fox's to look at. My target is an 89. However, I will look at 87's and 88's. I absolutely hate the look of the airbag steering wheel. Also, since I had an 89 I'm looking to get back into something that looks and feels familiar to me.

So, although there are plenty of Fox Body cars out there my choice has been narrowed down to 3 model years. AND the kicker is I really want it to have the VERY rare tan interior. So, my choices are very limited when it comes to purchasing a Fox Body.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Does it have to be running? What if all the parts are there but they're in boxes?
At this point in time, yes Bob, it has to be a complete or almost complete running and driving car.

Although I may make it a project one day (i.e. spruce it up with new paint, interior, seals, engine bay detailing, etc.). that time is not now. Also, I do not have the space to keep all the boxes of parts or an engine and tranny that's not inside the car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don’t know, I guess maybe I’m strange. I wouldn’t say I bought a low mileage cobra to sell later, even though I’m sure I could profit a bit from it. However I guess I always wanted to own a low mileage unmolested coupe. To me it’s nostalgia, and a life size model car for me to look at with joy. Then of course I bought yet another coupe so I could drive it, and enjoy the hell out of it. I’m glad I did, the amount of bullshit that’s happened to my black one I’d have lost my mind had that happened to my 19k mile Coupe. I love to scoot around in my 88 notch because it’s slow as hell for now, but if someone hits it or door dings it I won’t mind as much.
View attachment 1773383
You are in the category I would love to be in. 2 Cobra's and a Fox body LOL.....

Then again I'm sure I'm in a category others would love to be in. 2 03 Cobra's, 1 03 Roush, 1 65 Mustang and 1 57 T-Bird. I definitely cannot complain about my stable one bit..........

However, this is my dream stable: 1 03 Cobra coupe, 1 03 Roush, 1 89 Fox Body coupe, 1 65 Mustang and 1 66 Shelby Cobra replica (Superformance or Backdraft).........

Yes, I know, I don't want much LOL.....

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Get a fox because you want a fox. In the scheme of life as well as past auction performances have indicated hyper and super cars are the only categories of cars that appreciate in value and stay that way. Mass produced vehicles are like stocks that will appreciate and depreciate in value depending on a number of factors n nostalgia. It’s why I wouldn’t get caught up in the future and what ifs.

LS WUT

Established Member
You are in the category I would love to be in. 2 Cobra's and a Fox body LOL.....

Then again I'm sure I'm in a category others would love to be in. 2 03 Cobra's, 1 03 Roush, 1 65 Mustang and 1 57 T-Bird. I definitely cannot complain about my stable one bit..........

However, this is my dream stable: 1 03 Cobra coupe, 1 03 Roush, 1 89 Fox Body coupe, 1 65 Mustang and 1 66 Shelby Cobra replica (Superformance or Backdraft).........

Yes, I know, I don't want much LOL.....
I couldn’t agree more. I know I’ve been fortunate to have what I have. I’ve sold some of the stable down since. However what’s left is these, not including the motorcycles. I’ll be adding my brother in laws 98 Cobra to complete my Cobra collection.
2004 F250
2003 OW Coupe
2003 Black Coupe
1988 Notch Coupe
2013 Shelby GT500
2016 Hellcat Charger

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I couldn’t agree more. I know I’ve been fortunate to have what I have. I’ve sold some of the stable down since. However what’s left is these, not including the motorcycles. I’ll be adding my brother in laws 98 Cobra to complete my Cobra collection.
2004 F250
2003 OW Coupe
2003 Black Coupe
1988 Notch Coupe
2013 Shelby GT500
2016 Hellcat Charger
Damn, that's an impressive stable. (y)

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
2004 F250
2003 OW Coupe
2003 Black Coupe
1988 Notch Coupe
2013 Shelby GT500
2016 Hellcat Charger
You need something like a ‘23 or ‘18 to compete things ending in those number :) great sounding collections!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thank you very much, sorry to derail your thread sir! I wish you luck in your conquest to get a Notch :)
No sir, didn't derail it at all. Very pertinent to the conversation. What cars should we have in our collection that may benefit us in the future.

I believe your Terminators, Notch and Shelby will be worth more than you paid for them in the future.

I want all the Mustangs LOL, but can't have them all. So, I was wondering which car would be better to have in my collection.

It's obvious I like the Notch better than the Terminator, but that doesn't mean it's a wiser choice down the road.

cj428mach

Established Member
To me the Terminator will follow the 68.5-70 cobra jet cars. Similar production numbers both cars considered new levels of performance for Ford.

I think the terminator will get more love though because it really is a game changer car. The one thing about terminators though is it seems like there is plenty of low mileage, well taken care of cars. On the other hand there seems to be a new one parted out every week as well. Maybe the bulk that survive are weekend cruisers with low miles.

Users who are viewing this thread