Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Waiting on what? This is the second time I have asked you, I'm not tip toeing around shit.

No, I was wondering if their decision was because of intended use of the truck. I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I was not the one that said people couldn't afford the truck @blk02edge was. And he was not even talking about your friend specifically. It was more a general statement that people make themselves car poor and then go with the cheaper option in this case the Gen 1.

Where is the actual data on the revision motor wise on the Gen 2 from 17/18 to the 19/20. I cant seem to find actual data on the changes between the 2. Other than the improved shocks.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You just posted it. You questioned their ability to pay for a gen2 Raptor(they can't afford it, its above msrp), and then questioned if they simply drive them on pavement. Both were an emphasized NO! You can't get it through your thick skull that people do not like the gen2 3.5! Fact is they don't, and many chose to purchase other trucks because of it!
Really? Stating that in 17/18 the majority of dealers were adding ADM and that turned people off is somehow saying your friends couldn't afford the truck? **** man I was one of them. It took 15 months to find a dealer that did MSRP (not playing that ADM BS) and had an allocation before I got my truck. People don't want to wait and the ADM game turns people off IIRC @Blk04L was considering getting a Gen 2 but in FL the ADM game was super dumb and he went with his second Gen 1 instead or at least he was considering a Gen 2. I almost bought a ZL1 because **** Ford and their allocation system.

Do I have to explicitly state that I know there are people that did not buy a Gen 2 because they wanted a V8? Here it is; I know there are people that don't want a Gen 2 because it is not a V8. Happy? This is despite the fact that the 3.5L outperforms the 6.2L. You can argue longevity all you want, but the cam phaser issue is not something that affects every Gen 2 and both Gen 1 and Gen 2 produced lemons.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Where is the actual data on the revision motor wise on the Gen 2 from 17/18 to the 19/20. I cant seem to find actual data on the changes between the 2. Other than the improved shocks.
As far as the oil pan from 17-mid 18 I don't know what to tell you other than mine is a metal pan and earlier builds were composite, ask @DriftwoodSVT about his. As far as the other stuff, you can go down the rabbit hole if you want.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162408-0001.pdf
Just one of the parts involved
Old HL3Z-6256-C - Genuine Ford Sprocket - Camshaft
Replacement Sprocket - Camshaft HL3Z-6256-CD | Ford Parts Direct

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
My wife and I have a standard size two car garage where we park her Toyota Venza and my Dodge Durango. You have to make sure to park correctly so the doors can open without dings or dents.

Question for the Raptor owners, can you park your truck in a standard size two car garage with another vehicle in there?
Due to the Raptor's size, it appears this would be next to impossible.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I dont think the extra weight is that big of a deal.

Remember the 7.3L is completely sold de tuned currently. It will likely make more HP reliably when ford decides to pump it up.

It's really not. 88 lbs for more than double the displacement isn't a huge amount.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
My wife and I have a standard size two car garage where we park her Toyota Venza and my Dodge Durango. You have to make sure to park correctly so the doors can open without dings or dents.

Question for the Raptor owners, can you park your truck in a standard size two car garage with another vehicle in there?
Due to the Raptor's size, it appears this would be next to impossible.

My Raptor doesn't fit in my garage sadly. I thought of getting a s/cab just so it can fit inside but I went with the s/crew because I will be towing with an enclosed trailer

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Regarding the new 7.3, I think the mod ability between the eco boost and 7.3 would easily go to the 7.3. Sure you can tune the ecoboost and maybe upgrade the turbos but what do you think it can reliably handle?

ford finally went back to a cam in block engine, so with that you can pick up a lot of power with a cam swap, then you still have intakes your can change and head work that can be done. If that’s still not enough then you can just put a blower on it and completely shit on the ecoboost.

I think the 7.3L has a ton of potential. It's completely untapped from the factory. Look at the 7.3L Whipple article on this site. Over 700 HP/TQ when it's installed. Amazing.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
As far as the oil pan from 17-mid 18 I don't know what to tell you other than mine is a metal pan and earlier builds were composite, ask @DriftwoodSVT about his. As far as the other stuff, you can go down the rabbit hole if you want.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162408-0001.pdf
Just one of the parts involved
Old HL3Z-6256-C - Genuine Ford Sprocket - Camshaft
Replacement Sprocket - Camshaft HL3Z-6256-CD | Ford Parts Direct

I don't know which pan I had, but I never had any issues with it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Really? Stating that in 17/18 the majority of dealers were adding ADM and that turned people off is somehow saying your friends couldn't afford the truck? **** man I was one of them. It took 15 months to find a dealer that did MSRP (not playing that ADM BS) and had an allocation before I got my truck. People don't want to wait and the ADM game turns people off IIRC @Blk04L was considering getting a Gen 2 but in FL the ADM game was super dumb and he went with his second Gen 1 instead or at least he was considering a Gen 2. I almost bought a ZL1 because **** Ford and their allocation system.

Do I have to explicitly state that I know there are people that did not buy a Gen 2 because they wanted a V8? Here it is; I know there are people that don't want a Gen 2 because it is not a V8. Happy? This is despite the fact that the 3.5L outperforms the 6.2L. You can argue longevity all you want, but the cam phaser issue is not something that affects every Gen 2 and both Gen 1 and Gen 2 produced lemons.

Pretty much. I even went around last year with the real intent to buy. Still was seeing 1-2k over MSRP from Miami to Vero+. And even the same dealership/salesman who has known our family since the late 80's still couldn't get the higher ups to budge(dealer went to a no haggle point of sale).

The only places that I could find online that were selling below MSRP for the truck I wanted were out of state or basically out of state in the Panhandle, which was tougher due to I had a trade in.

kaz109

Established Member
@me32

Took me a while yo dig up the answers you the questions you had regarding the differences between the Gen 1 vs gen 2 standard ecoboost vs the raptor HO Ecoboost motors . I trying to not just post random BS like @ON D BIT but rather do research......that way if I'm wrong I can stand corrected and have a more informed opinion......

Gen 1 EcoBoost was based on the Duratec architecture. The Duratec was used primarily in FWD applications like the Taurus, Edge, Explorer, and Flex. It was also used by Mazda in many of their vehicles. It used a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain with one timing chain driving both intake cams and secondary chains to drive the exhaust cams.

To build the EcoBoost, Ford added direct injection, lowered the compression ratio, and replaced the rotating assembly with stronger components including a forged steel crank. They also added oil jets to cool the underside of the pistons. Gen 1 truck applications used Borg Warner K03 turbos.

Gen 2 was a clean sheet engine design and was engineered using lessons learned from Gen 1 as well as some features from the 2.7 Nano. Port fuel injection was added to supplement the direct injection, and the valvetrain is a lower friction roller follower system with hydraulic lash adjusters. Camshafts are hollow core to save weight. It uses 2 primary timing chains, one for each bank, which is more robust than one large chain. Turbos are still BW K03, but were upgraded with new Mar-M-247 alloy turbine wheels with a change in vane angle. Compression ratio was increased to 10.5:1.

The main HO differences are the turbochargers (internal), pistons (10.0:1 compression ratio), exhaust manifolds (cast stainless steel), and calibration.

So my theory is the upgraded parts from the HO ecoboost found weak points that were carried over from the normal gen 2 ecoboost thus causing Ford to revise them mid 2018. Since then there has not been the single engine issue that the 17 s and early 18 Raptors were played with.

As to your comment about the 88lbs weight difference not being a big deal in regards to the ecoboost vs the Godzilla....you are right its not that much but when you had a SC and IC and everything else I think that's when ( for me) it would be an issue. But I guess either way we look at it the next gen will be heavier wether its a 7.3L or 3.5L hybrid system .

I enjoy these debates

Sirraf

Established Member
I love my TRD Pro! I love the Raptors, but gosh they are expensive. I'm not that rich.

tundra-jpg.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
@me32

Took me a while yo dig up the answers you the questions you had regarding the differences between the Gen 1 vs gen 2 standard ecoboost vs the raptor HO Ecoboost motors . I trying to not just post random BS like @ON D BIT but rather do research......that way if I'm wrong I can stand corrected and have a more informed opinion......

Gen 1 EcoBoost was based on the Duratec architecture. The Duratec was used primarily in FWD applications like the Taurus, Edge, Explorer, and Flex. It was also used by Mazda in many of their vehicles. It used a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain with one timing chain driving both intake cams and secondary chains to drive the exhaust cams.

To build the EcoBoost, Ford added direct injection, lowered the compression ratio, and replaced the rotating assembly with stronger components including a forged steel crank. They also added oil jets to cool the underside of the pistons. Gen 1 truck applications used Borg Warner K03 turbos.

Gen 2 was a clean sheet engine design and was engineered using lessons learned from Gen 1 as well as some features from the 2.7 Nano. Port fuel injection was added to supplement the direct injection, and the valvetrain is a lower friction roller follower system with hydraulic lash adjusters. Camshafts are hollow core to save weight. It uses 2 primary timing chains, one for each bank, which is more robust than one large chain. Turbos are still BW K03, but were upgraded with new Mar-M-247 alloy turbine wheels with a change in vane angle. Compression ratio was increased to 10.5:1.

The main HO differences are the turbochargers (internal), pistons (10.0:1 compression ratio), exhaust manifolds (cast stainless steel), and calibration.

So my theory is the upgraded parts from the HO ecoboost found weak points that were carried over from the normal gen 2 ecoboost thus causing Ford to revise them mid 2018. Since then there has not been the single engine issue that the 17 s and early 18 Raptors were played with.

As to your comment about the 88lbs weight difference not being a big deal in regards to the ecoboost vs the Godzilla....you are right its not that much but when you had a SC and IC and everything else I think that's when ( for me) it would be an issue. But I guess either way we look at it the next gen will be heavier wether its a 7.3L or 3.5L hybrid system .

I enjoy these debates

Thank you, good read btw.

I too enjoy the debates

kaz109

Established Member
I assume these seats were the recaro’s as they felt like a bolstered sport seat. The MSRP was close to 77. The salesman was clueless but so was I. I didn’t know or see it had a sport mode. I didn’t help that I drove my alpha GTR to the dealer and jumped into the Raptor. Most vehicle’s will feel slow after driving that car.

I forgot I had a pic of my interior......did the one you test drove look like this??
20200422_125922.jpg

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
The tundra trd pro and ram rebel were the other trucks I test drove before getting the raptor. Anything GM wasn't even worth a test drive lol

I actually like the outgoing models, but the new version I think is ugly, the trail boss looks good but the rest look like shit, don’t get me started on the HD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaz109

Established Member
Beautiful interior package. Is that yours?
Yes that's mine. I really think it makes the interior "pop" and I also liked the fact that from say 20 Raptors I had seen at dealerships this was the only recaro package raptor so felt it to be slightly exclusive.

I understand why it's rare though, it's a almost 3k option and adds zero performance. But I like the blue stitching and the carbon fiber vents that go along with the blue alcantara seats.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I forgot I had a pic of my interior......did the one you test drove look like this??View attachment 1648744
I went back and checked the options. The truck I drove had black leather heated and cooled seats. I didn’t list Recaro as an option. I was off on my memory recall as well. One had an MSRP of 73,500ish and the other was 75k but not 77.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread