Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I’m curious to see if Ford actually drops the Shelby power plant in the Raptor. I doubt it but that would be sweet if they tuned the suspension and what not for it. Of course then though your probably talking a six figure Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Nope, comparing a 2012 Ford to a 2013 Ram.
Rams been a better buy for a while now.

Also, comparing

Dodge has addressed this question directly several times. Adding an additional 1,000lbs to the front of the truck is going to severely detract from its rock crawling potential.

I feel like most of the guys going nuts over the Tremor are just mall crawlers that want the hot new big truck.

2.7 Hybrid I'm sure. More interesting if FCA gets off its ass and finally Hellcats the Ram already. They'd be in. Line to destroy the truck market.
We know what a 10 Raptor interior looks like, want to share the 13 ram interior?

Since you have not read the reviews, those that have driven both off-road and on rocks see no difference. Dodge has officially stated they could not get the cooling needed to put the diesel in the PW.

I did look at the 150 and Dodge Rebel as well as the Jeep Rubicon and Charger wide scat. I’ve been researching for a bit now.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’m curious to see if Ford actually drops the Shelby power plant in the Raptor. I doubt it but that would be sweet if they tuned the suspension and what not for it. Of course then though your probably talking a six figure Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be awsome. I dought we see a raptor for a couple years on the new body style.

Even the 7.3L would be great.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
We know what a 10 Raptor interior looks like, want to share the 13 ram interior?

Since you have not read the reviews, those that have driven both off-road and on rocks see no difference. Dodge has officially stated they could not get the cooling needed to put the diesel in the PW.

I did look at the 150 and Dodge Rebel as well as the Jeep Rubicon and Charger wide scat. I’ve been researching for a bit now.
You've not been in a 2013 Ram? Then how can you complain?

Ram-1500-Laramie-Longhorn-Interior-1.jpeg

And what reviews, the Power Wagon vs Tremor?
So what if it's equal, that's actually a bad thing considering how long the PW has been out.

Additionally that doesn't defeat my statement that the Tremor nut swinging is just being driven by mall crawlers.

Your very own argument is Gen 2 Raptor owners are jumping to Tremors... That just tells me the G2R guy is just jumping to the latest "hot truck".

This also goes against your assertion the 3.5 Ecoboost is not a 200k mile engine. People have been crying for 20 years now that trucks today are designed to be disposable after 7 years. Ford doesn't give a crap if your 70k truck lasts 200k, it needs to last 50k so you can trade it in for a new one.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Between 2010 and 2013, the interior of the Raptor received some upgrades too. Sync 2, new dash, cooled seats, remote start etc.

Raptor Changes Year-by-Year
Good breakdown of changes in the above and some interior pics.

Think some guy took his sound advice and dumped thousands into a Ram to compete with a Raptor. Talk about dumping thousands into a depreciating asset and getting a huge negative return. (Sale price at 21k lol). Was at a Ford dealership.
20180213-070510.jpg

20180213-070435.jpg

20180213-070457.jpg

kaz109

Established Member
Would be awsome. I dought we see a raptor for a couple years on the new body style.

Even the 7.3L would be great.

Why would a heavier , less HP and less TQ be a great option for the Gen 3?

You can't say reliability because at this point both are still new and untested over time.

I'm just curious

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You've not been in a 2013 Ram? Then how can you complain?

View attachment 1647960

And what reviews, the Power Wagon vs Tremor?
So what if it's equal, that's actually a bad thing considering how long the PW has been out.

Additionally that doesn't defeat my statement that the Tremor nut swinging is just being driven by mall crawlers.

Your very own argument is Gen 2 Raptor owners are jumping to Tremors... That just tells me the G2R guy is just jumping to the latest "hot truck".

This also goes against your assertion the 3.5 Ecoboost is not a 200k mile engine. People have been crying for 20 years now that trucks today are designed to be disposable after 7 years. Ford doesn't give a crap if your 70k truck lasts 200k, it needs to last 50k so you can trade it in for a new one.
Or they are jumping because the g2r is not as good as they thought.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Why would a heavier , less HP and less TQ be a great option for the Gen 3?

You can't say reliability because at this point both are still new and untested over time.

I'm just curious

Easy, right off the Top. V8 rumble.

2nd no one buying a raptor is buying it for MPG.

The 3.5L has been out since 2010/11. Why isnt it proven yet? Definitely dont like that ford went to composite oil pans across the most line of vehicles.

I dont hate the eco boost 3.5. I think they had some good years. Late 2013-2016 F150 3.5L seem to be pretty reliable. Then gen 2 came and seem to have some of the issues gen 1 had in 2011.

I do look forward to the late build 2019 + F150/raptor 3.5L and see how they hold up over time.

kaz109

Established Member
Easy, right off the Top. V8 rumble.

2nd no one buying a raptor is buying it for MPG.

The 3.5L has been out since 2010/11. Why isnt it proven yet?
I dont hate the eco boost 3.5. I think they had some good years. Late 2013-2016 F150 3.5L seem to be pretty reliable. Then gen 2 came and seem to have some of the issues gen 1 had in 2011.

I do look forward to the late build 2019 + F150/raptor 3.5L and see how they hold up over time.

That's the only justifiable reason ppl say the V8 is because of sound. I think it's pretty ricer honestly but to your other point .....the ecoboost that came out in 2010 is not the same motor that is in the Gen 2 raptor. Pretty simple if you compare Apple's to Apple's. This revised gen 2 raptor motor ( mid 2018 and up) is to new to speak ill of its longevity....just like the godxilla motor.

So what you are saying is you want a heavier , less HP and less TQ motor all in the name of sound.....ummmmm ok

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
That's the only justifiable reason ppl say the V8 is because of sound. I think it's pretty ricer honestly but to your other point .....the ecoboost that came out in 2010 is not the same motor that is in the Gen 2 raptor. Pretty simple if you compare Apple's to Apple's. This revised gen 2 raptor motor ( mid 2018 and up) is to new to speak ill of its longevity....just like the godxilla motor.

So what you are saying is you want a heavier , less HP and less TQ motor all in the name of sound.....ummmmm ok
It might be ricer but it's part of the daily ownership experience.

A good chunk of why I bought a Scat over a GT is the Coyote sounds like total ass while the 392 sounds like a classic rumbling V8.

I owned the Scat 2 days before I had the mufflers cut out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

I dont think the extra weight is that big of a deal.

Remember the 7.3L is completely sold de tuned currently. It will likely make more HP reliably when ford decides to pump it up. As for tq the 3.5L will own that because the turbos can be boosted up.

The gen 2 3.5L is not completely different than gen 1. Shares alot of the basic starting points. So why did early gen 2 have similar issues the as the gen 1 3.5L?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So his argument started at reliability and now it is all the way down to owners saying " it's just not as good as they thought" lol
G2 is faster and more power and yet many believe they are inferior. Regardless of where they have this notion the g2 has not been received as well as the original. The problems with the 3.5 have a lot to do with this. You may say it’s all been corrected but we will not know for sure for another 2 years or so.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
G2 is faster and more power and yet many believe they are inferior. Regardless of where they have this notion the g2 has not been received as well as the original. The problems with the 3.5 have a lot to do with this. You may say it’s all been corrected but we will not know for sure for another 2 years or so.
I'd like to see the sales numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread