Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
G2 is faster and more power and yet many believe they are inferior. Regardless of where they have this notion the g2 has not been received as well as the original. The problems with the 3.5 have a lot to do with this. You may say it’s all been corrected but we will not know for sure for another 2 years or so.
Where do you get your info? LoL! You and @me32 keep using words like many and a lot. Yet neither of you seem to know shit about Raptors.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I see some of the haters from the new 500 threads have made their way in here. Some other rocket scientist replies by a few uniformed to go along with those.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Where do you get your info? LoL! You and @me32 keep using words like many and a lot. Yet neither of you seem to know shit about Raptors.

Yea, don't get it either.

Gen 2 were selling like crazy till recently, with adms.
They are a true upgrade over the Gen 1. Better across the board. Sure, some 17/18 owners had some cam phaser issues, but they struck early, well within warranty dates.

Ford is bent on making the ecoboost their platform engine, and to the vast majority, it's a great engine. Down low torque and some "V6" characteristics of fuel economy when cruising.

They are way lighter, no rocker rust issues, better tech, and have even better frame support. And the 19s+ are tits with the live shocks.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I followed the Raptor from before the Oct 09 desert intro in Nevada until Jamal Hameedi left Ford. I know the g2 runs the Anza Borego Raptor test loop 25% faster than the g1 6.2. Anything that has happened in the last 2 or 3 years that has not been spoken about openly in the media I do not know about. I also know more than a few have sold their g2 Raptors and moved on to the new Tremor. If its new, or it can tow, or it has a v8 you have to ask them. The bottom line is they are choosing the Tremor over their g2!

You have a habit of speaking out of your ass. Accusing people of a lack of knowledge or lack of funds or both with no knowledge of their individual reasons why they passed on the g2. Just maybe the g2 is not as good as you claim it to be...In saying this I still think its a bad ass truck. Im choosing to stay away from the ecoboost 6's at this time.

Lol says the guy thats provided zero proof. Please try again.
Vague isn't it? He did have the information on the 3.5 changes.

What are you talking about, proof of what? The many 400k mi Raptors galavanting off-road with no major component rebuild/replacement?
I believe he's looking for proof that the majority share your opinion that the g2 is the best truck sold at dealers for the past few years. Do you have any stats to back it up?
Its all opinion with your statements. Your opinion that the g2 is the best truck on the market. However more than a few people have chosen to pass on the g2 because they think there are better options at dealers for the last few years.

john11gt

Established Member
That's the only justifiable reason ppl say the V8 is because of sound. I think it's pretty ricer honestly but to your other point .....the ecoboost that came out in 2010 is not the same motor that is in the Gen 2 raptor. Pretty simple if you compare Apple's to Apple's. This revised gen 2 raptor motor ( mid 2018 and up) is to new to speak ill of its longevity....just like the godxilla motor.

So what you are saying is you want a heavier , less HP and less TQ motor all in the name of sound.....ummmmm ok

Regarding the new 7.3, I think the mod ability between the eco boost and 7.3 would easily go to the 7.3. Sure you can tune the ecoboost and maybe upgrade the turbos but what do you think it can reliably handle?

ford finally went back to a cam in block engine, so with that you can pick up a lot of power with a cam swap, then you still have intakes your can change and head work that can be done. If that’s still not enough then you can just put a blower on it and completely shit on the ecoboost.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I also know more than a few have sold their g2 Raptors and moved on to the new Tremor. If its new, or it can tow, or it has a v8 you have to ask them. The bottom line is they are choosing the Tremor over their g2!
The links you posted were from a Tremor forum. Color me not surprised that there would be threads about people getting the truck regardless of the previous vehicle. There is not some mass exodus of people getting rid of their Gen 2 for a Tremor.

You have a habit of speaking out of your ass. Accusing people of a lack of knowledge or lack of funds or both with no knowledge of their individual reasons why they passed on the g2. Just maybe the g2 is not as good as you claim it to be...In saying this I still think its a bad ass truck. Im choosing to stay away from the ecoboost 6's at this time.
Dude, you talked about RPG unaware that they are very well known in the Raptor (off-roading) community. Hence their name Raptor Performance Group. So you're obviously not "in the know", and yet you make a claim that many think the Gen 2 is inferior to the Gen 1. LoL wat?

Do you have a problem with following who says what? I never accused someone as to not having the money for a Gen 2. But you and @me32 definitely lack knowledge on the subject of Raptors, Gen 1 and 2 included.

I believe he's looking for proof that the majority share your opinion that the g2 is the best truck sold at dealers for the past few years. Do you have any stats to back it up?
Its all opinion with your statements. Your opinion that the g2 is the best truck on the market. However more than a few people have chosen to pass on the g2 because they think there are better options at dealers for the last few years.
Where did I claim that the Gen 2 is the best truck sold at dealers? It is not. However, it is the best off-road oriented truck currently sold at dealers. It is not the best towing truck, it is not the best work truck, and so on.

The bottom line is the OP's main gripe with the 2020 Raptor was sound (nothing to really be done there) and its lack of pep. Do you think the Tremor is faster than the Raptor?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The links you posted were from a Tremor forum. Color me not surprised that there would be threads about people getting the truck regardless of the previous vehicle. There is not some mass exodus of people getting rid of their Gen 2 for a Tremor.

Dude, you talked about RPG unaware that they are very well known in the Raptor (off-roading) community. Hence their name Raptor Performance Group. So you're obviously not "in the know", and yet you make a claim that many think the Gen 2 is inferior to the Gen 1. LoL wat?

Do you have a problem with following who says what? I never accused someone as to not having the money for a Gen 2. But you and @me32 definitely lack knowledge on the subject of Raptors, Gen 1 and 2 included.

Where did I claim that the Gen 2 is the best truck sold at dealers? It is not. However, it is the best off-road oriented truck currently sold at dealers. It is not the best towing truck, it is not the best work truck, and so on.

The bottom line is the OP's main gripe with the 2020 Raptor was sound (nothing to really be done there) and its lack of pep. Do you think the Tremor is faster than the Raptor?
You should have known those builders as they are two of the best in the business. Both Corey and Jarret Valenti of SVC Off Road in Laguna Niguel are well known in the off road racing industry. I’m still a big fan of Greg Foutz and his builds as well. Stop with the theatrics!

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You should have known those builders as they are two of the best in the business. Both Corey and Jarret Valenti of SVC Off Road in Laguna Niguel are well known in the off road racing industry. I’m still a big fan of Greg Foutz and his builds as well. Stop with the theatrics!
I am confused. Is naming some companies supposed to give you credit on your knowledge of Raptors? It is widely known and accepted that the Gen 2 is better in every performance metric except sound than the Gen 1 stock for stock. Yet you claim many think the Gen 2 is inferior. I mean seriously, where are you getting this info from?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I am confused. Is naming some companies supposed to give you credit on your knowledge of Raptors? It is widely known and accepted that the Gen 2 is better in every performance metric except sound than the Gen 1 stock for stock. Yet you claim many think the Gen 2 is inferior. I mean seriously, where are you getting this info from?
You're the one that brought it up with your ridiculous statement saying those that don't like the gen2 never go off road nor could they afford them. But I guess those that drop $30k plus on a raptor build have no clue what they speak of!
Have you listened to anything I have stated? I said the Gen2 is lighter more powerful faster to 60 and takes 25% off the off road Anza Borrego test loop. 25% faster on any lap is destroying the competition in this case the gen1!

I am simply stating the 3.5 can not be trusted long term. 2 years from now I could be proven wrong. At this moment play with fire!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You're the one that brought it up with your ridiculous statement saying those that don't like the gen2 never go off road nor could they afford them. But I guess those that drop $30k plus on a raptor build have no clue what they speak of!
Have you listened to anything I have stated? I said the Gen2 is lighter more powerful faster to 60 and takes 25% off the off road Anza Borrego test loop. 25% faster on any lap is destroying the competition in this case the gen1!

I am simply stating the 3.5 can not be trusted long term. 2 years from now I could be proven wrong. At this moment play with fire!
You don't pay attention. I'm going to have to quote myself here...
I'm guessing your friends where trying to buy a truck in 17/18? The fact that Raptors were "hard" to come by at MSRP during that time frame probably played a role. Also did they even use their gen 1 for their intended purpose?
The first part is a statement of fact. In 17/18 it was difficult to find a dealer doing MSRP (CA was a huge ADM area) with allocations. Many people bought other vehicles because of that alone. Just like a lot of people bought other vehicles when it was hard to find the GT350/R and GT500, for the simple reason that Fords allocation system is stupid.

The second part in bold is called a question. That in no way is calling your friend into question. People like what they like, one dude in our group just sold his Whippled Gen1 (supporting suspension mods) to get a Gen 2 and mod the **** out of it. If I had the extra cash I would have bought it, as *gasp* I love the Gen 1s also.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Still waiting. No surprise thoe. You have been dancing around on tip toes.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You were inferring that they did not buy the g2 because of price. Do you think someone who put over $100k into his first Raptor gave a damn about the price of g2? Do you think they did not buy the g2 because they could not afford it yet paid over $80k on new 250 Platinums?

They did not get the g2 because of the 3.5. End of story. Its up to you if you believe it or not. Really I could give a damn!
You don't pay attention. I'm going to have to quote myself here...
The first part is a statement of fact. In 17/18 it was difficult to find a dealer doing MSRP (CA was a huge ADM area) with allocations. Many people bought other vehicles because of that alone. Just like a lot of people bought other vehicles when it was hard to find the GT350/R and GT500, for the simple reason that Fords allocation system is stupid.

The second part in bold is called a question. That in no way is calling your friend into question. People like what they like, one dude in our group just sold his Whippled Gen1 (supporting suspension mods) to get a Gen 2 and mod the **** out of it. If I had the extra cash I would have bought it, as *gasp* I love the Gen 1s also.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Still waiting. No surprise thoe. You have been dancing around on tip toes.
Waiting on what? This is the second time I have asked you, I'm not tip toeing around shit.

You were inferring that they did not buy the g2 because of price. Do you think someone who put over $100k into his first Raptor gave a damn about the price of g2? Do you think they did not buy the g2 because they could not afford it yet paid over $80k on new 250 Platinums?

They did not get the g2 because of the 3.5. End of story. Its up to you if you believe it or not. Really I could give a damn!
No, I was wondering if their decision was because of intended use of the truck. I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I was not the one that said people couldn't afford the truck @blk02edge was. And he was not even talking about your friend specifically. It was more a general statement that people make themselves car poor and then go with the cheaper option in this case the Gen 1.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Waiting on what? This is the second time I have asked you, I'm not tip toeing around shit.

No, I was wondering if their decision was because of intended use of the truck. I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I was not the one that said people couldn't afford the truck @blk02edge was. And he was not even talking about your friend specifically. It was more a general statement that people make themselves car poor and then go with the cheaper option in this case the Gen 1.
You just posted it. You questioned their ability to pay for a gen2 Raptor(they can't afford it, its above msrp), and then questioned if they simply drive them on pavement. Both were an emphasized NO! You can't get it through your thick skull that people do not like the gen2 3.5! Fact is they don't, and many chose to purchase other trucks because of it!

Users who are viewing this thread