Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

kaz109

Established Member
I ended up getting a 15 Duramax for $15k so that's my new tow pig. The F250 should be gone by this weekend. A Raptor wouldn't work well for my trailer.

But but but it doesn't matter about your needs, you didn't buy a gen 2 because of the EcoBoost......it had nothing to do with the fact that you needed a bigger truck for towing a trailer.

You are now added to his list of why ppl don't choose a gen 2 lol

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So you are saying they changed the ONLY part that was the headache for owners but that does not mean the motor is still a headache.......is that what you are saying? Lol.....you are proving your credibility with every naive post
Wow, just wow.
The changes that were made, still may not be what is needed to provide 200k trouble free miles in a high performance high speed vehicle.

At the same the changes made could provide exactly that. It’s too soon to tell. I did not think I had to spell everything out to you.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
But but but it doesn't matter about your needs, you didn't buy a gen 2 because of the EcoBoost......it had nothing to do with the fact that you needed a bigger truck for towing a trailer.

You are now added to his list of why ppl don't choose a gen 2 lol
Yeah shit.

I'm probably number 21 on the list now.

kaz109

Established Member
Wow, just wow.
The changes that were made, still may not be what is needed to provide 200k trouble free miles in a high performance high speed vehicle.

At the same the changes made could provide exactly that. It’s too soon to tell. I did not think I had to spell everything out to you.

There is a large enough sample size to prove that the cam phaser was the weakest link and since it has been addressed there hasn't been any issue. It is not too soon to tell because they trucks with this issue notice problems under 10k miles some as early as 5k .....so now you have 19 and 20 on the road with mileage from 5k to 145k with ZERO reports of said issue.

So you first post prove to be UNINFORMED then you ask what has changed , you were given an answer and yet you back pedal with " oh it could be something else you never know"

IA Shelby

Established Member
One thing I have learned that when two parties have strong held beliefs, they rarely if ever cave in and say you are right, I was wrong. In the end I was looking for some feedback. I learned a number of things I didn’t know going in which was good. In summary
1. Drive it in sport mode
2. Use premium fuel to get the best performance
3. These tend to come alive after they have been broken in.
4. The exhaust is a weak point and not much can be done to improve the sound quality.
5. Raptors shine when used for intended purpose. Logic dictates a regular F-150 if not going off road or a tremor if you want a do it all kind of truck (on road, off road, towing, hauling). That being said I rarely buy vehicles on logic. Otherwise I would purchase a Toyota Camry.
6. Ram’s have better interiors.
7. Nobody mentioned GM products which tells me all I need to know.
8. Some people prefer the Gen 1 version of the raptor. No different than 911 991 owners that prefer a 997 version and trade out the newer model for the older one. Many people prefer the Gen 2.
9. Any vehicle mass produced will produce a lemons

snakecharmer

Established Member
Test drove a new raptor.

great looking truck. easy bed access with step. Great interior loaded with options. Seats were fantastic along with tilt/telescoping wheel. Tons of room and great options but.....

The exhaust note was worse that I expected. The engine acceleration felt weak even if with the 10 speed auto. I wasn’t expecting much from the exhaust but was stunned out how it struggled to move out.

Do most Raptor owners get a tune?

The only reason I do not have one in the driveway is that stupid V6. Ecojunk sucks.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
One thing I have learned that when two parties have strong held beliefs, they rarely if ever cave in and say you are right, I was wrong. In the end I was looking for some feedback. I learned a number of things I didn’t know going in which was good. In summary
4. The exhaust is a weak point and not much can be done to improve the sound quality.
5. Raptors shine when used for intended purpose. Logic dictates a regular F-150 if not going off road or a tremor if you want a do it all kind of truck (on road, off road, towing, hauling). That being said I rarely buy vehicles on logic. Otherwise I would purchase a Toyota Camry.
8. Some people prefer the Gen 1 version of the raptor. No different than 911 991 owners that prefer a 997 version and trade out the newer model for the older one. Many people prefer the Gen 2.
The Raptor actually makes a really good DD because of the suspension. You can use ForScan to change things like auto-start-stop.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My question was rhetorical. I know exactly why people cross shop them, it's just... A stupid comparison. It's like choosing the shiniest sticker. People cross shopping these trucks are mall crawling Meguires wax types. Not truck people.

Not sure that comparison is even close to reality

Very well broken down.

Very nice cliff notes

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Can’t go wrong either way. We just picked up a camper and my 3.5 max tow eco pulls it great. Unlike many I didn’t want to run too close to gvwr so we got one that weighs 6k. I’m very glad I did that because the 150 is a light truck pulling a camper on the highway. I wouldn’t want to tow this thing with a raptor. If you’re using as a DD and don’t tow heavy a lot then raptor would be a great truck. I’ve been saying this for a few months now but I truly think my next truck will be a 7.3 super duty. Not sure if it’ll be tremor, since 13 mpg would be a pretty significant drop for me. I’ve seen some non tremor reports of around 16 or so mpg. Not too convinced a diesel is right for me.
Now don’t get me wrong I have always loved the raptor and drool when I see them, just get whichever one fits your needs and be happy with it. Both are awesome

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Gen 1 Raptors are just so BLEH.

6.2 is a gas chugging turd. The exterior styling, while striking 10 years ago, is bland today. I can barely recognize one over any other F150 with the grill swap and a lift kit.

Interior has not aged well, Rams are way better.

Then resale, you'd be a mad man to drop $35k on a 8 year old F150.

Better to grab a RAM Rebel and toss on some upgrades. I wish Dodge would shove a 6.4 in the 1500.

Im still not seeing what's so great about the Tremor, is it just the 7.3? Seems the Power Wagon offers more off road and has been out for years without much hype.

3.5, you need to just grab a Cobb tune and make +500whp. 6.2 won't touch that.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Agreed.

This thread turned out very informative with a dash of spicy.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

6.2 is a gas chugging turd. The exterior styling, while striking 10 years ago, is bland today. I can barely recognize one over any other F150 with the grill swap and a lift kit.

Better to grab a RAM Rebel and toss on some upgrades. I wish Dodge would shove a 6.4 in the 1500.

Im still not seeing what's so great about the Tremor, is it just the 7.3? Seems the Power Wagon offers more off road and has been out for years without much hype.

Lol i love the Ram comment. Everyone says get a ram get a ram, but they themselves buy a ford. Go figure.

New ram is a nice truck, but make sure your comparing apples to apples. Those same year Dodge has the knock with the 5.7. Mpg isnt good either.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Comparing a 11 year old Ford interior to the new Ram interior that makes the 20 150 interior look old? That’s funny.

Those that have driven both the PW and the Tremor say there is not much difference. Capabilities off road seem to be null in-void despite the supposed front locker and sway disconnect. What does come up is the lack of diesel option and lack of towing in the PW.

It will be interesting to see what Ford comes up with for the gen3 Raptor.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Comparing a 11 year old Ford interior to the new Ram interior that makes the 20 150 interior look old? That’s funny.

Nope, comparing a 2012 Ford to a 2013 Ram.

Rams been a better buy for a while now.

Also, comparing
Those that have driven both the PW and the Tremor say there is not much difference. Capabilities off road seem to be null in-void despite the supposed front locker and sway disconnect. What does come up is the lack of diesel option and lack of towing in the PW.

Dodge has addressed this question directly several times. Adding an additional 1,000lbs to the front of the truck is going to severely detract from its rock crawling potential.

I feel like most of the guys going nuts over the Tremor are just mall crawlers that want the hot new big truck.

It will be interesting to see what Ford comes up with for the gen3 Raptor.

2.7 Hybrid I'm sure. More interesting if FCA gets off its ass and finally Hellcats the Ram already. They'd be in. Line to destroy the truck market.

kaz109

Established Member
Nope, comparing a 2012 Ford to a 2013 Ram.

Rams been a better buy for a while now.

Also, comparing

Dodge has addressed this question directly several times. Adding an additional 1,000lbs to the front of the truck is going to severely detract from its rock crawling potential.

I feel like most of the guys going nuts over the Tremor are just mall crawlers that want the hot new big truck.

2.7 Hybrid I'm sure. More interesting if FCA gets off its ass and finally Hellcats the Ram already. They'd be in. Line to destroy the truck market.

I don't think it will be a 2.7 hybrid but rather the aviator grand touring hybrid system. Which sucks because of the added weight but the 3.0L system makes 650tq and I am sure Ford can tune the power output to 500hp. My concern with ram is they will do what dodge did with the hellcat and just put a big motor in and not address the other parts of the car.

I love the interior in the ram, it's class leading and its not even close but with that said I wouldn't buy it if the suspension wasn't up to raptor standard.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
13 for 13, ram interior is not nicer.

This, that’s laughable. Now the new Rams the 2020’s are nice I drove my friends A few weeks back when we went to pick up a Jeep he got for a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread