Texas Marijuana Penalties

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I think its situations like this that help reinforce the negative stigma. Just for arguements sake. Thats similar to saying most of the CDV arrests I made last year had an individual under the influence of alcohol.(while most likely true) This doesnt mean we should assume that the majority of people who choose to drink commit acts of domestic violence.

Was the alcohol a contributing factor ? sure, but was it responsible soley ? I dont personally think so.

Now in all seriousness do you think the marijuana was the sole reason behind the firearm possesion and resisting ? or just a factor in the lifestyle that these guys chose that led to situations you encountered with them ?

I think its a cop out ( no pun intended) to place the blame on the substance all of time when the person is the majority of the problem.

So selling a illegal substance is dangerous and needs firearms for protection and might fight with the cops because they are getting arrested. The black market not the marijuana.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

It's amazing the type of correlations people will try to create just to justify their beliefs. Did you also know that most convicted murders drink milk within 7 days of committing their crimes? I mean, do we really even know what's in that stuff? Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is no different than you guys saying that dopers are mellow and don't cause problems.

You folks will never take the middle road on this. Sure, I know plenty of dopers that aren't violent gun toting thugs. But some of them are absolutely ridiculous idiots too. You can't generalize to make your weed look harmless and not take into consideration the folks that don't know how to act on it.

Just like not all people that consume alcohol beat their wives. But some do. Of course it's not the alcohol explicitly that causes the abuse. But it's certainly a contributing factor.

And if you guys think that "legal" marijuana will end the violence and abuse involved in its use you are delusional. People still rob and burglarize gas stations for cigarettes and alcohol. You think a pack of doobies are gonna be 5 bucks for 20? Marijuana will certainly be cheaper from those who aren't authorized to distribute it. That's where the shitheads that don't know how to act when "high" will get it. Only you refined social tokers will get it legitimately. But those guys aren't the ones I'm fighting in the streets.

With that said i have not always been a LEO and I do understand both sides of the argument. I don't arrest everyone in possession of marijuana I come into contact with.

See what I did there. :coolman:

RCRAMIE

Established Member
This is no different than you guys saying that dopers are mellow and don't cause problems.

You folks will never take the middle road on this. Sure, I know plenty of dopers that aren't violent gun toting thugs. But some of them are absolutely ridiculous idiots too. You can't generalize to make your weed look harmless and not take into consideration the folks that don't know how to act on it.

Just like not all people that consume alcohol beat their wives. But some do. Of course it's not the alcohol explicitly that causes the abuse. But it's certainly a contributing factor.

And if you guys think that "legal" marijuana will end the violence and abuse involved in its use you are delusional. People still rob and burglarize gas stations for cigarettes and alcohol. You think a pack of doobies are gonna be 5 bucks for 20? Marijuana will certainly be cheaper from those who aren't authorized to distribute it. That's where the shitheads that don't know how to act when "high" will get it. Only you refined social tokers will get it legitimately. But those guys aren't the ones I'm fighting in the streets.

With that said i have not always been a LEO and I do understand both sides of the argument. I don't arrest everyone in possession of marijuana I come into contact with.

See what I did there. :coolman:

Im sure we would just go back and forth on this, so if you will watch a video ill let somebody who is much better than me explain it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Milton Friedman - Why Drugs Should Be Legalized - YouTube[/nomedia]

Also im ex LEO and used to hold the same views as you. I also think you should arrest people you find with marijuana it is illegal in TX. That does not mean you cant understand the COTUS arguments against the federal government prohibition, acknowledge the fact marijuana is safer then current legal drugs. There is a whole group of Law Enforcement officers at http://www.leap.cc/ that dont agree with prohibition.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
I could watch a little of the video before calling it rubbish!

Well if you cant take 7 mins to watch a Nobel prize winner economist talk about this subject i dont think you are gonna be to willing to have a real discussion about this so i will just end it right now and waste my time doing something i enjoy instead, have a nice day.

Machdup1

Established Member
Marijuana will never be legal through out the United States. Legalization would require that users get off their couches and work towards their goal. Figure the odds.

Seriously, the OPs friend's son is a dealer and he now will have to pay the stupid bill. Stupid is expensive, it is just a shame stupid isn't painful.

If he is buying at least a quarter pound ar a time he is dealing with organized crime or someone who is dealing with organized crime.

For those who haven't figured it out, organized crime eventual means the cartels. Those peaceful folks who have murder tens of thousands of people in the last couple years.

Anyone who is part of that deserves no mercy.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I made an arrest two months ago where a kid had a quarter pound of weed. I've known the kid ever since he was about 5 or 6 six years old. His dad and I were good friends and used to hunt together. This kid played baseball in college and got into marijuana. This kid lost his will. I mean it just went! Then he got into scripts and dealing marijuana. I have yet to go to court on this. Sad deal.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
I made an arrest two months ago where a kid had a quarter pound of weed. I've known the kid ever since he was about 5 or 6 six years old. His dad and I were good friends and used to hunt together. This kid played baseball in college and got into marijuana. This kid lost his will. I mean it just went! Then he got into scripts and dealing marijuana. I have yet to go to court on this. Sad deal.

It is sad. The saddest part is this also happens with alcohol and prescription medicine abuse. The difference is those you can get medical treatment for abuse with marijuana and other drugs it makes it more difficult to get medical help due to the chances of criminal charges.

I would also point out that marijuana just happen to get to him first, some people will make bad choices when it comes to their lives marijuana, alcohol, pain pills and so on. To try and control the habits of people with criminal enforcement to save the few people that have abuse problem by arresting the users that have no problem, does that sound like the best solution?

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
To try and control the habits of people with criminal enforcement to save the few people that have abuse problem by arresting the users that have no problem, does that sound like the best solution?

What is your solution?

RCRAMIE

Established Member
What is your solution?

The video i posted goes through some options. He is a lot better at it.

I also dont see responsible recreational adult use as a problem.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I also dont see responsible recreational adult use as a problem.

I see drug abuse as a problem.

In my opinion there is no responsible recreational adult use of illegal drugs. :shrug:

RCRAMIE

Established Member
I see drug abuse as a problem.

In my opinion there is no responsible recreational adult use of illegal drugs. :shrug:

Abuse is a problem but that is true no matter what the substance used.

If you opinion it is not responsible then don't do it but that should be a individual choice. If you find something not responsible or moral etc.... it does not give the government the right to use force to make others agree.

The problem with giving government power it is not authorized to use is it always grows. You might be fine with marijuana being illegal because you made the decison not to use it. The problem is what if the next person in office decides to grow that power and include stuff you do enjoy.

If you want it to be illegal on the federal level go through the process to ratify the constitution and make it illegal. If they cant get enough states then let each state decide the drug laws for that state. I may not agree with state prohibition but at least it will be done the right way.

Machdup1

Established Member
If you want it to be illegal on the federal level go through the process to ratify the constitution and make it illegal.

Forgive my ignorance of the law, I thought marijuana was already illegal at the Federal level. Did I miss something?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you want it to be illegal on the federal level go through the process to ratify the constitution and make it illegal. If they cant get enough states then let each state decide the drug laws for that state. I may not agree with state prohibition but at least it will be done the right way.

Marijuana possession, distribution, importation, etc. is illegal on the Federal level. :shrug:

RCRAMIE

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance of the law, I thought marijuana was already illegal at the Federal level. Did I miss something?

Marijuana possession, distribution, importation, etc. is illegal on the Federal level. :shrug:

I was suggesting going through the proper steps to make it illegal.

Where did they get the authority to make it illegal? What did they have to do to pass the 18th Amendment to enforce prohibition of alcoho? Why did they not use the same process for marijuana?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I was suggesting going through the proper steps to make it illegal.

Where did they get the authority to make it illegal? What did they have to do to pass the 18th Amendment to enforce prohibition of alcoho? Why did they not use the same process for marijuana?

The US Constitution allows for the passage of laws to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry. Do you think there needs to be a constitutional amendment to make things illegal?

RCRAMIE

Established Member
The US Constitution allows for the passage of laws to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry. Do you think there needs to be a constitutional amendment to make things illegal?

Yes they do. That is why they had to ratify the Constitution for prohibition.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution]Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The Eighteenth Amendment (Amendment XVIII) of the United States Constitution established prohibition in the United States. The separate Volstead Act set down methods of enforcing the Eighteenth Amendment, and defined which "intoxicating liquors" were prohibited, and which were excluded from prohibition (e.g., for medical and religious purposes). The Amendment was unique in setting a time delay before it would take effect following ratification, and in setting a time limit for its ratification by the states. Its ratification was certified on January 16, 1919.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Yes they do. That is why they had to ratify the Constitution for prohibition.

There does not need to be a Constitutional Amendment to pass a statute that makes narcotics illegal. The Congress is able to create and pass such laws intended for the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry.

The States are required to ratify every proposed Constitutional Amendment.

So, in your estimation any law prohibiting something on the Federal level requires a Constitutional Amendment?

Do you understand the purpose of a Constitutional Amendment? I really dont think you do.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
There does not need to be a Constitutional Amendment to pass a statute that makes narcotics illegal. The Congress is able to create and pass such laws intended for the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry.

The States are required to ratify every proposed Constitutional Amendment.

So, in your estimation any law prohibiting something on the Federal level requires a Constitutional Amendment?

Do you understand the purpose of a Constitutional Amendment? I really dont think you do.

Did you go over prohibition in history?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Abuse is a problem but that is true no matter what the substance used.

But we're talking about marijuana. Not Chlorox bleach

The problem with giving government power it is not authorized to use is it always grows. You might be fine with marijuana being illegal because you made the decison not to use it. The problem is what if the next person in office decides to grow that power and include stuff you do enjoy.

If one passes laws prohibiting something, we must comply with the law or face the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread