Texas Mile - GT500 174 mph

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
A 570rwhp GT500 did the Texas Mile this weekend and went 174mph. That's pretty f-ing impressive. That's significantly faster than something like an 03-06 SRT-10 would do it in. Getting that kind of mph in that distance takes not only alot of power, but solid acceleration with a good launch. Looks like the GT500 has pretty decent aero in any event to get to that speed in the first place. Who says you can't shove a brick through the air? :D

Wonder what it'd do run all the way out?

SlowSVT

Established Member
DBK said:
Looks like the GT500 has pretty decent aero in any event to get to that speed in the first place. Who says you can't shove a brick through the air? :D

The words "aero(dynamic)" and "GT500" should never be used in the same sentance :nono:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
A stock SRT-10? A bit over 160 mph. The only test I've seen in a rag had it go 159, but that was at Lemoore and it was supposedly brutally hot. I'm sure an 08 Viper will now go 175+, given that word is it has trapped at 130mph in one of the 3 rag tests waiting to come out. A C6 in the same test went 154mph. That's a huge delta.

SlowSVT

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
That's moving pretty good! About what a stock GT is running and a few MPH faster than a Z06?!

Dave, a Z06 box stock off the showroom floor will do close to 200 mph.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Dave, a Z06 box stock off the showroom floor will do close to 200 mph.

A stock c5 ZO6 will do 180mph with it's "from the factory" 360rwhp.
Still impressive that this GT500 can go that fast (even with about 120 extra hp over stock) without flying off the road.

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
slowsvt...

are u aware that the record for a balls out twin turbo viper street car is 217mph. And a tuned Ford GT went 194 mph.

Purvis...a C6 Z06 has recorded 174mph from motor trend, I don't see how the less powerful and heavier C5 will be faster.

Unless you guys aren't aware that this is about the standing mile race and not top speed.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
slowsvt...

are u aware that the record for a balls out twin turbo viper street car is 217mph. And a tuned Ford GT went 194 mph.

Purvis...a C6 Z06 has recorded 174mph from motor trend, I don't see how the less powerful and heavier C5 will be faster.

Unless you guys aren't aware that this is about the standing mile race and not top speed.

+666

People need to get their facts straight.:read:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You guys are smoking some serious ****ing rocks. :lol:

A C6 Z06 will do 170-175. A C5 Z06 or a base C6 will go in the neighborhood of 150. This is in a STANDING MILE (just like the title, and subsequently thread clearly indicate. Or at least I thought so). Launch is extremely important in these tests because error on the short end can cause large variances on the big end.

The GT500's mph is impressive because it appears it can run successfully to very high speeds with minimal modifications. I was told it would go nearly 180 stock if unlimited, but you wouldn't want to go there. I'd like to try one at that speed to see if it has any stability. I can say from experience my C5 Z06 was very vague and felt very poor at such speeds. Bobbed and weaved like a drunken sailor at 170.

SlowSVT

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
slowsvt...

I stand corrected Dave. I was talking about top speed not standing mile. 174 is stupid fast for an SN197. That is all horsepower doing that.

I'm forgetting we are talking about modded cars.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
The Gen II GTS ACR w/ 460hp in this article reached 164

Cobra R 149
C5 Z 160

Always take Motor Trend with a grain of salt. They correct their performance figures for atmospheric conditions.

In any event, you've really gotta have same day results for a test like this. I don't think an SRT-10 is anywhere near slower than a C5Z after a mile...

Road and Track

Users who are viewing this thread