Texas Mile - GT500 174 mph

Captain Beyond

Established Member
What does a stock Ford GT run in the standing mile compared to a stock C6 Z06? I'd bet the GT is faster. ;-)

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuckstang said:
So how fast is a stock GT500 in a standing mile??
Read a post on modsfords mentioning that a few GT500's we're running 158mph...I am guessing this is stock or tuned only. I am waiting for an answer back.

A Stock Ford GT should run 174-177 and a stock C6Z should run 171-175.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Dave

The aerodynamic drag of the GT500 is very high and against a C6 Z06 at that speed will put it at a major disadvantage over the vette. The CD on the GT500 is about .37 if I'm correct and the vette is around .28. I don't think the GT500 (nor a Cobra) will be winning any top end runs against a C6 Z06.

Fourcam330

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Dave

The aerodynamic drag of the GT500 is very high and against a C6 Z06 at that speed will put it at a major disadvantage over the vette. The CD on the GT500 is about .37 if I'm correct and the vette is around .28. I don't think the GT500 (nor a Cobra) will be winning any top end runs against a C6 Z06.

What's the difference in frontal area between a C6 Z06 and a Ford GT? The GT can't be that bad overall based on its top speed.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Fourcam

I'm not sure what the frontal area is between both cars but I think It's a little more involved then that. I am by no means an expert here so perhaps someone can chime in. I use to own an 87 Toyota MR2 way back when and was surprised how dirty that car was aerodynamically for such a small car at .31 A 1970 Dodge Daytona measured just .28 for such a land yacht and that includes that big wing sticking out in the breeze which can't help. The frontal area of that car is probably about the same or perhaps more then the GT500 How the air flows around the body including the tail end will also influence how aerodynamic the car is. If it's not smooth it will become turbulent and disturb the airflow. That is why we get all that brake dust settling on the rear bumper area due to lack of laminar flow taking place back there.

Has anyone topped out a bone stock GT500 with the governor disabled?

Fourcam330

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Fourcam

I'm not sure what the frontal area is between both cars but I think It's a little more involved then that. I am by no means an expert here so perhaps someone can chime in. I use to own an 87 Toyota MR2 way back when and was surprised how dirty that car was aerodynamically for such a small car at .31 A 1970 Dodge Daytona measured just .28 for such a land yacht and that includes that big wing sticking out in the breeze which can't help. The frontal area of that car is probably about the same or perhaps more then the GT500 How the air flows around the body including the tail end will also influence how aerodynamic the car is. If it's not smooth it will become turbulent and disturb the airflow. That is why we get all that brake dust settling on the rear bumper area due to lack of laminar flow taking place back there.

Has anyone topped out a bone stock GT500 with the governor disabled?

You get a pretty good idea of how slippery a car is overall by taking into consideration both frontal area and Cd.
I believe DBK said earlier in this post that a GT500 would hit 180 ungoverned stock.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think the GT has an overall smaller frontal area, but higher Cd than teh C6 Z. Every calculation I have seen has them being almost identical in total areodynamic efficiency.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
Read a post on modsfords mentioning that a few GT500's we're running 158mph...I am guessing this is stock or tuned only. I am waiting for an answer back.

A Stock Ford GT should run 174-177 and a stock C6Z should run 171-175.

I would bet that 158 is modded somewhat. Figure a Z traps ~7-10mph faster than a stock GT500 in the 1/4. You would expect that to significantly open up over an additional 3/4 mile.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Sorry ecveryone, didnt notice it was for the standing mile.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
My Neighbor has a 06 or 07 Z06 and he was telling me he went out to Nevada a little while ago with a group of Corvettes with a radar gun and he got his up to 203 MPH...altho he has to be pushing over 650 HP with the Cam and Heads he has on that monster

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I would bet that 158 is modded somewhat. Figure a Z traps ~7-10mph faster than a stock GT500 in the 1/4. You would expect that to significantly open up over an additional 3/4 mile.
Just got confirmation that the GT500 at 158 was stock.

Hennessey's car went 172, as well.

2006 zo6 cam, headers, exhaust, 100 shot direct port = 196.7 mph

A guy said he went 178 stock, 6 months ago.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
dgussin1 said:

That makes more sense 178 stock. I was figuring more off of the low end prediction for the Z of 171. 20 mph looks right to me.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
dgussin1 said:

Since GT500's come with a 150 mph cutoff from the factory, it definately was not stock. :read:

And why is everyone going by "mph" in the mile? Isnt ET more important for acceleration tests? :dw:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Purvis said:
And why is everyone going by "mph" in the mile? Isnt ET more important for acceleration tests? :dw:

My guess would be because a standing mile is four times the fun of drag racing!??!!? :-D

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Purvis said:
Since GT500's come with a 150 mph cutoff from the factory, it definately was not stock. :read:

It's actually a 155mph cutoff...and I recall one of the rags recording a production car going 157 before the limiter cut in...so 158 is possible.

The reason they go by MPH is because the high HP cars will reach their top speed too quickly if they are going balls to the wall the entire time. Some cars get up to 100mph and nail it at the 1/2 mile mark.

03SBSVT

Banned
SlowSVT said:
I stand corrected Dave. I was talking about top speed not standing mile. 174 is stupid fast for an SN197. That is all horsepower doing that.

I'm forgetting we are talking about modded cars.
its S197, NOT SN197, there is no N involved :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread