The HARD TRUTH about EVs

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
All the online reservations went poof!

Tesla announced more price cuts worldwide.

TheStreet
TheStreet

Follow

Tesla Rival Lucid Shows Alarming Signs​

Story by Luc Olinga • 31m ago

The EV upstart has just announced a 34% drop in car production in the first quarter, compared to the fourth quarter of 2022.

The Lucid plant in Arizona has a production capacity of 34,000 vehicles per year.

"As we produce vehicles at low volumes on production lines designed for higher volumes, we have and we will continue to experience negative gross profit related to labor and overhead costs,” CFO Sherry House said during Lucid’s fourth quarter earnings call on Feb. 22.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
If the tech was there, battery tech and production was clean and the infrastructure was in place, and all it took was a push to get people to switch, I would be inclined to say let's do it.

The issue is, based on all my research there exists no clean cobalt or lithium, the entire supply chain is a disaster, and anyone who tells you it's not coming from the Congo, and refined in China is lying to you. EV's using current battery technology are not capable of being mass produced the way ICE cars are today, new technology needs to be invented.

Also, there are only a few places that can recycle the minerals in the batteries, one of them is a former partner of Elon musk with Tesla, and he started a battery Recyling company. It's very successful however the amount of money and expertise to set up a recycling plant is huge, and he has years and years of supply sitting in warehouses that he cannot even get to recycle due to the sheer volume. This includes car batteries, phones, laptops etc. The sheer volume is hard to wrap your head around, and this is only with a small percentage of electric cars on the road.

The only motive I can see is to disrupt the industry under the guise of Climate Change so the democrats who are beholden to China can surrender to them and drain the US economy. America was built on personal independence, if you kill the ICE car you kill the spirit of America. I don't understand why these big auto makers kiss Bidens ass and don't fight back. It won't be long until they realize that anyone who wants an electric car already has one, and the market is not going to respond. By then it may be too late, and auto companies will be shit out of luck

Bingo. Its not about replacing your ICE car with an EV. It’s replacing your ICE car with ride share/public trans.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Synthgas is a potential viable solution, right along side regular gas. Let the free market decide.

Chevron showcases renewable gas blend as alternative to electric vehicles

Chevron (NYSE:CVX) said Monday it started a road trip across the U.S. Gulf Coast to showcase what it says is an innovative new gasoline blend with more than 50% renewable content that eventually will offer emissions savings similar to electric cars.

The company said team members will drive Toyota's Tundra, RAV4 and Camry on the road trip with the objective of demonstrating the fuel, which it says is more than 40% less carbon intensive than traditional gasoline on a lifecycle basis.

"Multiple solutions are needed to help lower the carbon intensity of the transportation sector," Chevron (CVX) executive Andy Walz said. "Renewable gasoline blends could empower virtually all drivers to have a role in a lower carbon transportation future" without having to buy a new car.

Oil refiners and automakers such as Toyota are seeking ways to decarbonize the internal combustion engine as regulators around the world push for electrification of road transportation.

Pollution standards outlined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency last week are so strict that they would effectively compel automakers to ensure that two-thirds of their light-duty vehicle sales are electric by 2032.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Musk says company was seeing orders "almost twice the rate of production".​

Tesla cuts U.S. prices for sixth time this year ahead of Q1 results

TSLA -1.46%Apr. 19, 2023 4:23 AM ET42 Comments
  • For the sixth time this year, Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) is cutting prices in the United States for some of its Model Y and Model 3 vehicles amid concerns about its profit margins.
  • In the U.S., the prices of Model Y AWD, Long Range and Performance vehicles have been lowered by $3,000. The Model Y AWD will go from $49,990 to $46,990; long range from $52,990 to $49,990; and Performance from $56,990 to $53,990.
  • It has also lowered the price for the Model 3. The standard range RWD went from $41,990 to $39,990, marking the first time Tesla (TSLA) offered a vehicle under $40,000. While some of the Model 3 variants are still eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit, others have been reduced to $3,750, following the U.S. Treasury's updated battery sourcing guidance for EV tax credits.
  • Over the past two quarters, the automaker has also slashed prices of its EVs in Mexico, Europe, Israel, Singapore and China, where it has sparked a price war among competitors.
  • When Tesla (TSLA) reported its earnings for 2022 in January, Elon Musk said the company was seeing orders "almost twice the rate of production." Earlier this month, the automaker also cut prices on all U.S. models, with Model 3 and Model Y sticker prices sliding by at least $1,000, and Model S and Model X prices falling by $5,000 or more.
  • Tesla (TSLA) has additionally reduced the price of its base Model 3 by 11% in the United States since the beginning of the year, with a 20% drop on its base Model Y.
  • Despite giving discounts in the United States, China, Japan, Australia, and South Korea to encourage demand, the company's Q1 deliveries only increased by 4% to record 422,875 electric vehicles in the first quarter.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Damn, bean counters ruled the roost on this one. Fugly

Picture1mmm.png

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Battery is about $15k/10years at current rates.
Thats odd, the Ford dealer owner said the Mach P battery is $22k cost plus R&R. That would be closer to double your estimate - at current rates. So to answer my own question that would be close to $60k cost plus electricity to keep an electric car for 20 years. This doesn't include any other maintenance.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Stick a fork in them.

Last week, Lucid announced that its Arizona manufacturing facility had produced 2,314 EVs during the first quarter. This level of production places the company a little shy (on an annual run-rate basis) of the 10,000 to 14,000 EVs it announced as its target production rate for 2023 back in February.

But it's not Lucid's tepid production growth that should be raising eyebrows -- it's the company's deliveries. The first quarter saw just 1,406 EVs reach buyers. In 2022, the company produced 7,180 EVs, with only 4,369 being delivered. Since 2022 began, Lucid has produced 3,719 more EVs than it's delivered.

While that's a considerably smaller nominal inventory build than Tesla's 78,000-plus vehicles, it's a terrifyingly large number for a company that only delivered 1,406 EVs in the first quarter. Instead of excess supply accounting for 15 days' worth of sales in Tesla's case, Lucid is sitting on about eight months' worth of inventory, based on Q1 sales.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Lucid is D U N. That's my predicition as well...i would have HATED to have been the guy who bought the Lucid Air Dream Edition last year for 250K and now it's work 100k.

The plaid on the other hand is an INSANE value right now...high 80's low 90's for practically new ones.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Not even being charged, just erupts in flames. Every American should have a fire bomb parked in their garage. What sucks is that almost all new vehicles slated to come out are at least partial hybrid if it's a car or SUV. So even if you don't have to plug it in, you still have that damn lithium battery sitting in your garage.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Contact your Senators and Representatives and let them know that this is the way.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
As I watched the video of the '23 New York Auto show, I saw literally 90% of the brand new models were EV only. It lead me to thinking about local charge stations. During the last few years with this known build up to an EV world, not one..... NOT ONE charge station has been added to anywhere I travel in the 50 mile radius of home, work etc. Now I realize it would be expected to charge at home within that radius, but in that same radius there might be 500+ gas stations.
What I'm getting at is ZERO infrastructure is in place for EVs here. I live in southeast Florida, where people have more wealth than brains. There are already tons of EVs on the roads here. Those I know with EVs make excuses for the obvious short comings and lack of infrastructure. Its a mess imo.
I have a good friend that is an environmental scientist, his current specialty is battery technology. He always says to me "Dont buy an EV, its going to be the biggest bust in the automotive industries history"
Sad times.

ArabianOak

Established Member
As with everything, most of the EV stuff was a money maker for certain people in high positions...they HAD to have known there was zero chance of switching over that fast. The good news is the tech is really cool, the cars are insanely fast and now they have come down in price.

The big automakers fell for the bluff and we will see gas and electric cars in our future. Hybrids bring the best of both worlds. My NSX was an early taste of that and it was a very special car. The E-Ray vette etc.

Elon isn't a dummy, he knew this was coming. He stayed quiet. I can only imagine the crap he knows from taking over twitter and keeps quiet. lol.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
My best estimate, which is worth what you paid for it, is that in the short term we'll see about 20% BEV and 80% ICE. This will maintain until one or the other solution becomes the obvious choice for the general consumer. BEVs will continue to be only a city car until megawatt chargers and batteries reduce the charge time for 400 miles to under 10 minutes and real world range predictions for all weather conditions get above 98% accuracy.

Having my electric power go out last week for about 12 hours, relying on a single energy source is a very high risk situation for society.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
As I watched the video of the '23 New York Auto show, I saw literally 90% of the brand new models were EV only. It lead me to thinking about local charge stations. During the last few years with this known build up to an EV world, not one..... NOT ONE charge station has been added to anywhere I travel in the 50 mile radius of home, work etc. Now I realize it would be expected to charge at home within that radius, but in that same radius there might be 500+ gas stations.
What I'm getting at is ZERO infrastructure is in place for EVs here. I live in southeast Florida, where people have more wealth than brains. There are already tons of EVs on the roads here. Those I know with EVs make excuses for the obvious short comings and lack of infrastructure. Its a mess imo.
I have a good friend that is an environmental scientist, his current specialty is battery technology. He always says to me "Dont buy an EV, its going to be the biggest bust in the automotive industries history"
Sad times.
Those EV chargers are absolutely everywhere here in semi rural Canada, although the funny thing is they are almost always unattended.

Users who are viewing this thread