"The Hype about those Cobras is True" from Zo6 owner

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Originally posted by Aquaman
Having been someone who learned a lesson from a GN back in the 80's ( I had an 86 928 in 1987) I'll attest to the fact they were fast but they were actually rated higher then the Vettes of the time not lower. The GN had 245hp and the Vette had 230 in 86 plus the GN had 355#'s of TQ vs. 330 for the Vette. And much like the 03 Cobra's of today I ran into very few GN's back then that were stock. The thing about the GN's is they would do a rolling power brake and get the boost up then bam be gone....

Plus stock GN's were actually dynoing in the 230 range while the vettes were seeing 205 or less plus the GN had a higher stall and geared very different then the Vette. Still Vette/GN races back then were very close I was witness to a few, both at the strip and on the street.

The '86 GN was rated @ 235 HP and 330 lb/ft, not 245 - the 87 had the 245 HP and 355 lb/ft rating. Both cars also typically weighed in around a hefty 3520 lbs curb weight dependent upon options like T-Tops and such.

The '86 and '87 LC2 cars (GN's, WE4's, etc) had a 3.42 limited slip rear axle as an option but the GNX had it standard. I'm not sure what the standard axle was in a Turbo Buick if you didn't order the limited slip but I think it still was a 3.08 or 3.23 or something similar. It may have even been a 3.42 ratio but I never owned a GN that didn't have the Limited Slip axle.

I've owned 4 different GN's including the one I now own and also a GNX (#281).

Most of your info was spot-on but either way, there never was a 'close' race between an intercooled Turbo Buick and any Vette ('86 - '90 except for the ZR-1) unless the GN driver couldn't launch. Period.

I've spanked several Vette's of every generation including the mighty LS1 C5's with my current GN at the track - and yes, I've lost to a few but not many. The last C5 I raced at the track was an '01 with a lid, filter and shifter but I beat him by a over a half a second (13.05 vs a 13.61). And no, I have yet to have the opportunity to run a Z06 but I am not afraid of them. They should beat me, given the much more HP but hey, who knows? On any given day...

But back to the '80's - the simple truth is that no Vette or any other factory production car was quicker than an intercooled ('86 or '87) Buick GN/WE4/T-Type (stock vs stock) until the Turbo Trans AM of '89 (and even that had the Buick V6 Motor) in it. The only Vette that was quicker didn't come until 1990 when ZR-1 came into being.

I love the Vette - had an '85 that was all stock including the abysmal 4+3 manual tranny. I would love to have a Z06 of any year but especially the most recent ones. My son has an '03 Cobra and one of those may very well be my next performance car. The new Cobras are the modern day GN in my view and they kick some serious ass.

Just FYI... :beer:

Last edited:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by Raven
The '86 GN was rated @ 235 HP and 330 lb/ft, not 245 - the 87 had the 245 HP and 355 lb/ft rating. Both cars also typically weighed in around a hefty 3520 lbs curb weight dependent upon options like T-Tops and such.

The '86 and '87 LC2 cars (GN's, WE4's, etc) had a 3.42 limited slip rear axle as an option but the GNX had it standard. I'm not sure what the standard axle was in a Turbo Buick if you didn't order the limited slip but I think it still was a 3.08 or 3.23 or something similar. It may have even been a 3.42 ratio but I never owned a GN that didn't have the Limited Slip axle.

I've owned 4 different GN's including the one I now own and also a GNX (#281).

Most of your info was spot-on but either way, there never was a 'close' race between an intercooled Turbo Buick and any Vette ('86 - '90 except for the ZR-1) unless the GN driver couldn't launch. Period.

I've spanked several Vette's of every generation including the mighty LS1 C5's with my current GN at the track - and yes, I've lost to a few but not many. The last C5 I raced at the track was an '01 with a lid, filter and shifter but I beat him by a over a half a second (13.05 vs a 13.61). And no, I have yet to have the opportunity to run a Z06 but I am not afraid of them. They should beat me, given the much more HP but hey, who knows? On any given day...

But back to the '80's - the simple truth is that no Vette or any other factory production car was quicker than an intercooled ('86 or '87) Buick GN/WE4/T-Type (stock vs stock) until the Turbo Trans AM of '89 (and even that had the Buick V6 Motor) in it. The only Vette that was quicker didn't come until 1990 when ZR-1 came into being.

I love the Vette - had an '85 that was all stock including the abysmal 4+3 manual tranny. I would love to have a Z06 of any year but especially the most recent ones. My son has an '03 Cobra and one of those may very well be my next performance car. The new Cobras are the modern day GN in my view and they kick some serious ass.

Just FYI... :beer:

You are right about the C4 L98; I used to have an 85 auto and I thought was quick until I came up to one those black beast at the stop light, well you know the rest.

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
I keep hearing this "I have 20k left over for mods" arguement. Personally, I think someone got ripped off. I may have spent 47.5k for my Z06 but I have well over 100K left over for mods. What is this strange logic?

Users who are viewing this thread