"The Hype about those Cobras is True" from Zo6 owner

time2train

Established Member
I am driving to my girlfriends house two days ago. I decided to take some back roads because all of the highway patrol I have seen on the turnpikes lately. So I am travelling up a two lane, one way road next to the turnpike and I see a really nice black vette at the stop light ahead. It so happens that as a approach the light it turns green so I pass the vette ever so casually, noticing the popular Zo6 emblem. I do a quick look up in my rear view and here it comes, I know its going to be on. We are rolling around 20 mph and we hit it at the exact same time. I slightly pull on the vette, his nose on my rear bumper at about 70. From 70 - 130 we are locked in a standoff, he doesn't pull and I don't gain. We start to approach a car that is in his lane, so I brake and he flys around me. We approach the stop light, and he rolls his passenger side window down. I was shocked to see an older man in his mid 60's at least, smiling at me. He says "I guess the hype about those new Cobras are true". I told him he had a nice ride, and asked hiim what year. He said it was an 02' and that he was going to have to take it to a friend of his, to make sure this doesn't happen again. I laughed and we went on our way. Seemed like a nice enough guy, My Cobra was stock with the exception of KN AirCharger. Chalk up another for the Cobra.

Darcsun

Established Member
I ran a Z06 one time. The owner was very upset... nat asperation v. blower at over a mile high gave me a huge advantage. It was an easy victory.

trey193

Established Member
Thats exactly how a pretty much stock 03 will fare with a 02 or newer Z06 whoever gets the jump will stay right there and neither person can go anywhere on the other. I rode in a friends Z06 and he ran another friends 03 with weld in mufflers and a K&N the Z06 had basically the same mods and through the upper gears the cars were even as could be!

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
GREAT KILL !

Gotta love stories like these, it just proves what the HP#s say. Stock vs Stock these cars (Z06 vs 03 Cobra) are close in straight-line performance. I've never raced a vette let alone a Z06, so kills like these build confidence.
:beer:

chrisle7220

Established Member
Man you guys are lucky being able to race a Z06. Everytime i see one its a 40+yr guy that doesnt wanna run. Ive been to the track and only see c5 vettes. There is this one c5 vette that is darn fast. He has slicks on it and run low-mid 11's all day. Maybe one day i'll get my shot at one.

FLYNLO

Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Thats exactly how a pretty much stock 03 will fare with a 02 or newer Z06 whoever gets the jump will stay right there and neither person can go anywhere on the other. I rode in a friends Z06 and he ran another friends 03 with weld in mufflers and a K&N the Z06 had basically the same mods and through the upper gears the cars were even as could be!

Although that has not been my experience.

Train, very nice kill. It is the close races that are the most fun.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
All things being equal an '03 Cobra needs about 50-60rwhp more to match an '03 Z06 due to weight and aerodynamics restrictions. Catback and CAI usually put a Cobra there.

I had one Z06 try to run me and that was in a school zone at 3pm. Thats jail for sure.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by FLYNLO
Although that has not been my experience.
I agree the 2002+ zo6 is quicker stock. If yo run into one you better be on your game or hope the zo6 driver can't drive to save his life. Bets are off when the mods come out. :)

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
Damn Nice Race! I had the pleasure of runnin 3 of them to date. One of the Z06's had a 150 shot of the juice. It was a close race indeed but, I was on top when the speedo read 160+....in my 96 Cobra.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
good kill, until i get my Kenne Bell i have to take the c5's. oh well, it's still a bowtie kill!

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
My stepfather was driving my cobra a couple of days ago and annilihated a 03 Z06 from a red light, after they shut down in 3rd(on the streets) he had 6 or 7 car lengths on the Z. They pull up to another light and the z owner says, "that things quick, let me go home and get my 11 sec chevelle, and see if you can hang" my stepfather said "dude, I just destroyed your z06 and have a extra 20 grand in my pocket" the z driver was speechless.

falconetti

IDK
Established Member
Originally posted by chrisle7220
Man you guys are lucky being able to race a Z06. Everytime i see one its a 40+yr guy that doesnt wanna run. Ive been to the track and only see c5 vettes. There is this one c5 vette that is darn fast. He has slicks on it and run low-mid 11's all day. Maybe one day i'll get my shot at one.

you talkin about the black vette w/ the stroker

Users who are viewing this thread