"The Hype about those Cobras is True" from Zo6 owner

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Why do you vette guys keep downplaying the money thing saving it shouldn't be an issue??? For some of us, (me included!!!), it's a huge issue......I can't afford a new vette (and wouldn't want a used one....), and the 03 Cobra with the usual $1200 in mods and running 12.0's is the best I can do financially (poor me!!!!).

Aquaman,
Is this like a big joke or something? Do you purposely come over to our forums to try to stir it up with your total nonsense? Or are the vette forums (which I've never visited....) just plain boring???

03CobraBro

Established Member
Awsome story. Like I always say, win or lose, races are so much more enjoyable if both parties are good sports about it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by OhMy
Given equal drivers a stock Cobra has trouble with an EVO or an STi. A Z06... now that is just ridiculous. QUIT BOGARTING THE BONG!!!

For the slow people:

Z06 >>> 03' Cobra

^ in ANY conditions except at high altitude where the oxygen deficiency is overcome by the supecharger.

Where the hell did you come from? Your car wouldnt know what a 12 second run felt like if it bit you in the ass. I think you need to be on your way. :nonono:

Last edited:

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by mike's01svt
For whatever reason, if it's the same dude that used to post on the corvette.com kill section, he has a chip on his shoulder about Cobra's/Mustangs. Not sure why...

Actually it was "corvetteforum.com" not corvette.com. And I have no chip on my shoulder other then having contempt for ignorance being spread about cars be it an 03/04 cobra, a Vette, a VIPER or whatever.:)

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
Why do you vette guys keep downplaying the money thing saving it shouldn't be an issue??? For some of us, (me included!!!), it's a huge issue......I can't afford a new vette (and wouldn't want a used one....), and the 03 Cobra with the usual $1200 in mods and running 12.0's is the best I can do financially (poor me!!!!).

Aquaman,
Is this like a big joke or something? Do you purposely come over to our forums to try to stir it up with your total nonsense? Or are the vette forums (which I've never visited....) just plain boring???

First your right I'm sure for many of you it is a money thing. I can understand that hell thats why both my little brothers asked me to Co-sign for them on 03 Cobra's because they wanted fast but could not swing the $700+ monthly payment for a Vette.

As for the joke part of it, well I'll admit I play the ass hole bit sometimes, but in most cases i'm just trying to get a rise out of certain PEOPLE and I can say it has worked everytime. I started coming on here because the Two 03's I technicaly own were having trouble, the black one was ticking badly after the mods and Ford was fighting hard not to cover the work so I was lurking on this and other sites to see how others were handling similar situations and the blue one had overheating issues stemming from a bad catalytic converter and I was looking for what if anything would be residual effects.

My Brothers are 22 and 24 respectively and not the most responsible. Since I was the one dealing with Ford about both their cars I wanted to have as much info as I could when talking to the pricks at Ford. For better or worse I found my way to this part of the site. Many of you are very damn knowledgable about your cars and their abilities and I respect that, It's because of those people on this site that I have chosen the mods for the Cobra's that I have.

As for the Vette sites being boring well....some are some are not but with as much as I race (Street, Road Course, Strip) I try and keep an eye on what the cars that I see alot while racing are doing. And the 03/04 Cobra's are often times that car.

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake

Aquaman, I bet you'd have trouble distinguishing an 03 from a 99/01 Cobra. There is no comparsion of an 03 to a Mach One or a slightly modded 03 to an S281-SC. The only C5 I ever ran on the track, the only place I'll run, had a Borla exhaust, chip, intake mod and DR's and I beat him by 1.3 seconds. That was with just exhaust and a 2.80 pulley. Now with the addition of a few more mods and 503 rwhp I'm running now that would be 1.8 seconds. Wake up Alice, this aint Wonderland.

Now if you want to sling crap then I can accomondate you. I doubt you even own the car in your signature with your attitude. Post your mods, dyno sheets and time slips to prove it.

Just face it. A C5 is not the fastest car on the road anymore and with the next generation Cobra pushing 500 HP it will even drop further. A friend of mine with a shop is a hard core Chevy guy but runs old muscle cars. Some of his cars run 157 in the 1/8 and he bleeds GM. He is not up too much on newer cars even GM. But, he's dynoed a shit pile of them. He has shown me many dyno sheets and there are a lot of C5's dynoing anywhere from 280 :rollseyes to 300 rwhp SAE. A stcok 03 has more than enough to beat an LS1 C5. I watched one dynoed at Moorseville Dragway on a mobil Dynojet laydown 287 rwhp SAE. The owner thought it was real bad ass. It was almost worth $75 to have put mine on there just to see the look on his face. Later on he got beat by a Jeep Cherokee that runs 8.30's.

First rest assured I can tell the diff. between an 03 and a 99/01. And I am well aware of the diff between it and the Mach/Saleen/Roush cars as well.

Secondly I don't think C5's are the fastest car on the road I never thought that. I do believe that they are a great overall sports car and the Z06 is the pinnacle of that catagory.

Off the juice my car is just a lowly 346rwhp and 356#'s of TQ to go along with it's 3189 pounds. Good enough to get me in the 12.5's @ 114ish about the same as an 01 Z06. This of course was not on DR's but run flats with a 1.928 60'. Would you have beaten me by 1.8 seconds here on earth? Not likely, though you most certainly should have beaten me with a Pully and Exh but not by 1.8 seconds you might have seen in wonderland.;-)

My mods are similar to the one you said you raced as well Borla exh., Blackwing intake, and a Granatelli MAF, I don't have a chip because you cannot "chip" a Vette. My other mods are LS1 edit, Z06 clutch with aluminum flywheel, Z06 intake manifold, power coupler, Power duct, Nitrous Works wet system with NX jet setup so I can run a 150 shot because Nitrous Works limits the LS1 jets to 125, fuel pressure regulator, high pressure fuel pump, every damn Nitrous accesory available (Dual A-Pillar guages, Bottle warmer & opener, WOT switch, window switch, fuel pressue safety switch.....)Z06 front air screens to allow more underhood air, B&M ripper shifter, NGK TR6's,8mm plug wires with Kool sox, Powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, DRM Oil cooler, Redline water wetter, R&D harness bar, simpson harness, Vette esentials interior upgrades, removed airbags....and yes I do own this car :) it's not just a figment of your imagination.

As for seeing Vettes Dyno yeah I have seen anywhere from 279rwhp on a 2000 A4 to 306 on a 99MN6 with hundreds inbetween. So on that we'll agree that yes they can be all over the place.

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by VENOMOUS03COBRA
you are completely dillusional if you beleive even half the things you are saying. i feel bad for ignorance that deep which you are drowning in. the C5 is not comparable to an 03 cobra. if you want to bring up a 108 mph trap that an 03 cobra ran , then ill bring up the same type of driver that i seen drive an 03 Z06 to a best of 13.6 @ 106 with a 2.1 60'. your a joke and your clueless. your the one thats on an svt website talking shit like you have something to prove. i have a total of $990 in mods. and i ran 11.52 @ 122.54 with a bad clutch and only a 1.78 60'. you can barely buy a catback for a vette with that much money.

this is a fact , not opinion, especially a dillusional , ignorant one like yours. equal drivers. an 03 cobra and a 01 Z06 is going to be a very good race. trap speed and all. and 02 - 03 Z06 will be about 3-4 tenths faster and 2-3 mph faster then an 03 cobra. but , if the cobra has just a cai and catback. the Z06 is not going anywhere. trap speed and all. once you put a pulley and a chip in the car , the Z06 doesnt have a chance. and just fyi, evan smith drove a completely stock 03 cobra to 12.38 @ 114. and there is someone on these boards that ran 12.00 @ 117 with just a cai and exhaust. so now take your pride , stick it up your a-s, tuck your tail between your legs and crawl back to whatever website you came from. either rattleboxvettes.com or imhunglikeatic-tac.com

I'm sorry that you must resort to sterotyping because of your own frustration in who you are but putting that aside I'll let you have a tic-tac if you want to improve your breath ;-)

You mention bad drivers OK we can play that. I too have seen some bad ones. Like the Viper GTS driver that saw a best of 13.98@107 after 10 runs in 55` weather. Or the multitudes of C5's I have seen go 14.0@103, or the 03 Cobra's going 14's. It happens neither you or I can account for bad driving. That being said I have seen some pretty good drivers and many of them Mustang guy's. In fact some of them were at your very own mustang showdown's in BG and in St. Louis that I have had the (mis)fortune of attending.

And yet with all these great drivers, I had yet to see a mid 400rwhp car like yours run 122 traps, and never saw a stock one run 112 or better. this includes time spent at Muncie, IRP, Norwalk, Tri-State, Route 41, Edgewater, Byron, Great lakes or that nasty one in Columbus Ohio that I can't remember the name of. I did see one while I was at E-Town that was stock sans the K&N that went 112.3 but that is a world renowned fast track.

I have seen some 480+ rwhp ones run 122+ traps but it has not been the norm, usually they run 121ish but there have been exceptions. I cannot say I have seen EVERY 03/04 Cobra run down the track but I have seen alot. You are obviously a VERY talented driver. Might I suggest you try and get a job at one of the magazines. Because they all seem to have some very poor drivers. With the exception of the aformentioned Evan Smith.

Oh and the price of your mods well yeah they are sooo affordable, and your car responds very well to them, and I applaud Ford for putting the 03 Cobra in the Vette range in a straight line right out of the box.

So I'll keep my pride right where it is and accept what is reality. A mustang beating me is not the end of the world, hell one of my best friends has a 91 Notch with H/C/E and a T-Trim that beats me every time. Plus he just got ET streets so It will be even worse. I know what My car can and can't do. Hell if you check the archives your see someone posted a link here from another forum about how I lost to an 03 while I was spraying a 75 shot and lost pretty convincingly. I didn't make excuse I just lost. and we went well into the triple digits.

One suggestion try not to sterotype poeple just off what they drive, it's kinda playgroundish.

:beer:

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Aqua... I dont understand... The guy said he raced a Z06 and the Z06 lost. Its not that uncommon of an occurance even for stock 03 Cobra owners.

There's about a half a second difference between the 2 cars, in the Z06'es favor, and while thats a margainal ammount when it comes to a quarter mile E/T, a half a second is a missed shift or a loss of traction, and as great as the Corvettes aero dynamic/weight advantage is, its still not enough to overcome mistakes such as that when your comparing 2 cars with over 400hp.

Now im not here to flame you or the people who claim they've lost or beaten Z06'es for whatever reason, but there are factors involved in racing and concepts that your obviously not grasping for some reason or another and I just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Aqua... I dont understand... The guy said he raced a Z06 and the Z06 lost. Its not that uncommon of an occurance even for stock 03 Cobra owners.

There's about a half a second difference between the 2 cars, in the Z06'es favor, and while thats a margainal ammount when it comes to a quarter mile E/T, a half a second is a missed shift or a loss of traction, and as great as the Corvettes aero dynamic/weight advantage is, its still not enough to overcome mistakes such as that when your comparing 2 cars with over 400hp.

Now im not here to flame you or the people who claim they've lost or beaten Z06'es for whatever reason, but there are factors involved in racing and concepts that your obviously not grasping for some reason or another and I just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Do I by chance know you? ever race down on the south side? I had homes in both Cincinnati (Mariemont) and Indy (Carmel) before I moved to Minnesota and have raced alot of 03's in Indy????

anyway back to the subject at hand. The fact that "a" Z06 looses to a Cobra is not that big a deal, Hell I beat a 512TR when I was bone stock, but the difference is I know he was the faster car and I didn't go running around telling everyone I beat 512's. On a normal day an average driver can coax 115 traps from a stock Z06 and the same level driver will get a 109-110 trap from a stock 03Cobra.

I have done alot of racing in my short 32 years and I can tell when someone misses a shift, especially if it's a close race. If they miss a shift I don't consider it a win. Nowhere in the original post does he insinuate the Z missed a shift. he was basicly saying he just walked away from a Z06 in his Stock 03 Cobra from a roll. And to be honest I don't believe it. Physics don't allow it. :nonono:

PM me and maybe we can get together next time I'm in Indy, I have a few friends there with 03's that race alot, not to mention some fast Supra's, a few fast Vettes and one damn fast 91Notch.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Aquaman
Do I by chance know you? ever race down on the south side? I had homes in both Cincinnati (Mariemont) and Indy (Carmel) before I moved to Minnesota and have raced alot of 03's in Indy????

anyway back to the subject at hand. The fact that "a" Z06 looses to a Cobra is not that big a deal, Hell I beat a 512TR when I was bone stock, but the difference is I know he was the faster car and I didn't go running around telling everyone I beat 512's. On a normal day an average driver can coax 115 traps from a stock Z06 and the same level driver will get a 109-110 trap from a stock 03Cobra.

I have done alot of racing in my short 32 years and I can tell when someone misses a shift, especially if it's a close race. If they miss a shift I don't consider it a win. Nowhere in the original post does he insinuate the Z missed a shift. he was basicly saying he just walked away from a Z06 in his Stock 03 Cobra from a roll. And to be honest I don't believe it. Physics don't allow it. :nonono:

PM me and maybe we can get together next time I'm in Indy, I have a few friends there with 03's that race alot, not to mention some fast Supra's, a few fast Vettes and one damn fast 91Notch.

No I dont beleive we have met. I moved to the Fishers area about a year and a half ago.

Anyway, about posting the kill... You have to understand, its just a moral boost. It makes you feel good when you win, reguardless the circumstances. There's nothing wrong with alittle harmless braging atleast in my opinion.

Lastly about the physics, from a roll is when the Cobra is more likely to hang with a Z. You have to remember, from a roll, say 30 to 40 mph, you dont have to worry about traction, unless your running a rediculous ammount of power, you also do not have to worry about launching the extra weight one the car is already moving, also aero dynamics. Really, the Corvettes superior aero dynamics will not show through as that great of an advantage until high speeds, like 120+.

The Buick Grand National (otherwise known as the Darth Vadar brick) proved that back in the mid 80's when it was walking all over the L98 C4. It was a much heavier, and I dont think you'll argue on this one, much less aero dynamic automobile (G-body) than the Corvette at the time and yet there it was embarassing the vette by over a full second in the quarter and all the way up to the Grand Nationals electronically limited 124mph, a vette that supposidly outpowered the Grand National by a good 10 to 20hp. (I'm not saying this to offend you but alot of Vette owners from that time period said the exact same thing you are saying, pretty much that it was impossible for a Buick G-body to be able to beat the nimble, sleek, high powered L98 C4 esspecially when it came to speeds of over 100, yet that GN did just that.)

Now, as far as the original posters story is concerned, I dont know if the guy actually walked away from the Z like he says, but it is easy to exagerate stories sometimes and thats something that all of us have been guilty of at one time or another you have to admit.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
BTW there's a guy I used to talk to awhile back that owns an LS1 C5 named Brody (Cant quite remember his SN on here) anyway he's from the Indianapolis area as well. Just figured I'd see if you've ever met him or know him. Anyway, Yeah, sounds good to me if ya want to get together sometime and hang out. Preferably during the spring and summer months. My car pretty much hibernates during this time of the year lol.

Last edited:

time2train

Established Member
Now, as far as the original posters story is concerned, I dont know if the guy actually walked away from the Z like he says, but it is easy to exagerate stories sometimes and thats something that all of us have been guilty of at one time or another you have to admit.

I never said I walked away from the Z. I also wasn't completely stock, I did have a KN Aircharger at the time. We both hit it at almost the same time 20mph, and at about 70 he was sitting at my rear bumper and it was that way to 130 mph. I just thought it was kewel to finally get to race a Zo6 and because he came after me, and also because I was suprised to see an older gentleman mid - 60s and that he seemed to be really kewel. Too bad I didn't have a video camera, but then I am sure I would have heard how the Z owner just couldn't drive. :nonono:

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by time2train
I never said I walked away from the Z. I also wasn't completely stock, I did have a KN Aircharger at the time. We both hit it at almost the same time 20mph, and at about 70 he was sitting at my rear bumper and it was that way to 130 mph. I just thought it was kewel to finally get to race a Zo6 and because he came after me, and also because I was suprised to see an older gentleman mid - 60s and that he seemed to be really kewel. Too bad I didn't have a video camera, but then I am sure I would have heard how the Z owner just couldn't drive. :nonono:

I know, I'm not bashing your kill, or calling BS, I was just saying sometimes in kill stories people can over exagerate, I'm not accusing you of doing that.

Aquaman

Established Member
Lastly about the physics, from a roll is when the Cobra is more likely to hang with a Z. You have to remember, from a roll, say 30 to 40 mph, you dont have to worry about traction, unless your running a rediculous ammount of power, you also do not have to worry about launching the extra weight one the car is already moving, also aero dynamics. Really, the Corvettes superior aero dynamics will not show through as that great of an advantage until high speeds, like 120+.

The Buick Grand National (otherwise known as the Darth Vadar brick) proved that back in the mid 80's when it was walking all over the L98 C4. It was a much heavier, and I dont think you'll argue on this one, much less aero dynamic automobile (G-body) than the Corvette at the time and yet there it was embarassing the vette by over a full second in the quarter and all the way up to the Grand Nationals electronically limited 124mph, a vette that supposidly outpowered the Grand National by a good 10 to 20hp. (I'm not saying this to offend you but alot of Vette owners from that time period said the exact same thing you are saying, pretty much that it was impossible for a Buick G-body to be able to beat the nimble, sleek, high powered L98 C4 esspecially when it came to speeds of over 100, yet that GN did just that.)

Having been someone who learned a lesson from a GN back in the 80's ( I had an 86 928 in 1987) I'll attest to the fact they were fast but they were actually rated higher then the Vettes of the time not lower. The GN had 245hp and the Vette had 230 in 86 plus the GN had 355#'s of TQ vs. 330 for the Vette. And much like the 03 Cobra's of today I ran into very few GN's back then that were stock. The thing about the GN's is they would do a rolling power brake and get the boost up then bam be gone....

Plus stock GN's were actually dynoing in the 230 range while the vettes were seeing 205 or less plus the GN had a higher stall and geared very different then the Vette. Still Vette/GN races back then were very close I was witness to a few, both at the strip and on the street.

The 03 Cobra and the Z06 are geared very simillarly and dyno in the same range give or take 5-10 hp but the Z has a 600 pound advantage. And in most cases a 100 pounds is a tenth. At a certain speed mass has very little to do with things but not at the speeds that were talked about here.

What color is your car and do you have personalized plates?

Also yes I know Brody very well, he's a good friend of mine, and a damn nice guy. Maybe next time I'm out that way we can all get together for a beer. :beer:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I went over to corvette.com last night and made an open challange to race a $50K+ stock 03 Z06 against a modified $40K 03 Cobra on both a road course and a drag race....

No takers. In fact, not a single member has even suggested that the stock 03 Z06 would stand a chance.

Aquaman

Established Member
Originally posted by esqeddy
I went over to corvette.com last night and made an open challange to race a $50K+ stock 03 Z06 against a modified $40K 03 Cobra on both a road course and a drag race....

No takers. In fact, not a single member has even suggested that the stock 03 Z06 would stand a chance.

I'd do it but I don't have a stock Z06 ;-) But I'm sure you would have no problem with a lowly little Non Z06 C5 would ya'. Since we live fairly far from one another we could meet somewhere that would be a drive for both of us. Since I ran the One lap of america last year I can get us some good track time at BeavRun just outside of Pittsburgh, in April. Or perhaps NASA will have an event at Putnam park on the Ohio/Indiana border or Mid-Ohio since it's such a great track. And then we could go to Edgewater or Tristate in Cincy, or IRP or Muncie in Indy and run the strip. Plus I know lots of areas where we could go from all kinds of roll races.....I'm not going to drive to Ga. But I would be happy to meet you for an equal drive.

Please feel free to contact me via E-mail or just post here and we can certainly set something up :beer:

In fact just to make it interesting the looser would have to cover Hotel/food and gas for the winner:) or we could just fdo it for some cash you decide. :shrug:

Z06Les

Established Member
Brave of you to challenge a stock Z06 with your modified Cobra :) Make the same challenge on the Z06 section and southeast sections of the forum, I assure you there are many stock 01 Z06's here in Atlanta that would happily take you on in any road course you care to name. Most of the Z06 guys don;t drag race, but they do road race. I'll jump over there and try and stir the pot for you.

My car is not bone stock, neither are you, and is a lowly 02, but I would gladly accept your challenge, 1/4 mile, Road Atlanta - you name it and we will find a way to make it happen since we are both in Georgia. No power adders on my part - all motor.

Les

EDIT: Could you please post the link to your challenge? I looked quickly and couldn't find it (the eye's are the second thing to go) :)

Last edited:

Aquaman

Established Member

Oh yeah...There is no such place as corvette.com, that is and has a been a link to the chevy site since 1995. I did however check on both Corvetteforum and Corvetteaction center the two more popular sites and looked everwhere. Southeast, autoX/Roadrace/ Z06 section, Z06 General, Z06 Technical, hell I even looked the the C5 sections of both to no avail..

So like Z06les said post a link I'd love to see all the Z06 guys back pedal as you say they are doing.

white99gt

Established Member
Everyone is worried about the 03\04 cobras and the Z06's and who runs what.But like stated earlier in the posts.It depends on the drivers.
Slower cars can beat faster cars with the right driver.

Everyone chosses the car they like.
me if i wanted a sleeper ;).Thats not scared of 03's or Z06's :D.

Users who are viewing this thread