The old airplane on a conveyor...

blk02edge

Established Member
I see this popping up everywhere again and don't ever recall seeing it on svtp. So lets go again haha. Sad thing is it seems more and more people believing the wrong outcome...
plane2.jpg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
This is something you trick elementary school kids with. Who's on your feed that you see this popping up?

Now the 2 car head on vs 1 car wall argument is still tricky to many people. Everyone thinks in terms of energy not conservation of momentum so they screw it up.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Oh come on. I don't remember the last one. Lets see what people have to say.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This is something you trick elementary school kids with. Who's on your feed that you see this popping up?

Now the 2 car head on vs 1 car wall argument is still tricky to many people. Everyone thinks in terms of energy not conservation of momentum so they screw it up.

It requires a lot of assumptions though. Mass of car 1= mass of car 2. Velocity and direction of car 1 is equal and opposite of car 2., etc.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yes... the last couple days it's been dominating My feeds again for who knows why and seems like everyone thinks the plane wont fly.
You have some really dumb friends. Probably all short bus riders

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I've watched the Mythbusters episode and it has me questioning if I understand the challenge. Simple answer in my mind is: Without lift the plane can't fly since that is the basis of flight as a whole. If the plane is kept from moving forward by the treadmill negating the air from flowing under the wings then how can it ever achieve lift? Someone explain how that is possible?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I've watched the Mythbusters episode and it has me questioning if I understand the challenge. Simple answer in my mind is: Without lift the plane can't fly since that is the basis of flight as a whole. If the plane is kept from moving forward by the treadmill negating the air from flowing under the wings then how can it ever achieve lift? Someone explain how that is possible?

The treadmill can never prevent the plane from moving. The wheels don't push the plane forward.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The treadmill can never prevent the plane from moving. The wheels don't push the plane forward.

So the question then is will the treadmill keep the plane from moving? That makes more sense if that is what the argument is about. I never looked into it enough to catch that part.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
So the question then is will the treadmill keep the plane from moving? That makes more sense if that is what the argument is about. I never looked into it enough to catch that part.

I literally answered that in the post you quoted, lol. The treadmill can't prevent it from moving. The wheels spin freely on takeoff. The treadmill merely increases the speed at which the wheels spin (not the speed the plane travels).

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I literally answered that in the post you quoted, lol. The treadmill can't prevent it from moving. The wheels spin freely on takeoff. The treadmill merely increases the speed at which the wheels spin (not the speed the plane travels).

I know, I was just reiterating what I understood by your post.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Until the wheel bearings overheat and seize due to spinning faster than designed! Then the conveyor is moving the plane backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread