The old airplane on a conveyor...

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Gravity isn't acceleration, it causes objects to accelerate. Gravity is a force that draws two bodies towards each other. It is believed its caused by the higgs boson.

Einstein disagrees with you on gravity being a true force. It's rather the result of mass bending space time. The Higgs Boson is thought to be the elementary particle that gives mass certain particle mass.

Want a fun one, look into the Colour/Strong force and it's relationship to distance.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Gravity isn't acceleration, it causes objects to accelerate. Gravity is a force that draws two bodies towards each other. It is believed its caused by the higgs boson.

I disagree. There is mounting evidence that the Higgs field (and Higgs Boson) relates more to the mass it gives certain particles and has little to nothing to do with causing gravity (which also happens to effect mass-less particles.)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I disagree. There is mounting evidence that the Higgs field (and Higgs Boson) relates more to the mass it gives certain particles

This part I knew

and has little to nothing to do with causing gravity (which also happens to effect mass-less particles.)

This part is all newer info than the last time I did any reading on it.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
This part I knew

This part is all newer info than the last time I did any reading on it.

And you bring up a good point. Science is in such flux right now (not that it hasn't been in the past) with plenty of opposing educated viewpoints, which is a good thing. That's why it makes for such interesting and valuable conversations.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Light photons are mass-less and are effected by gravity.

Indirectly.

Light photons don't have mass, but do have a momentum. Massive objects "distort" space and time. These alterations change the photons momentum.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Gravity is nothing more than compressed time-space and, as was said, most likely composed of higgs bosons.

Mass displaces it and compresses it. Objects caught in the compression zone are pushed toward each other. The rate at which the objects are pushed toward each other is dependent on the total sum of the masses.

I've always argued that since time-space can be compressed, the universe has to be finite. If it was infinite, then there would be no resistance to mass displacing it.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
8 minutes. But the moon would still be bright in our sky for another second or so.

Why? Our distance from the Sun divided by C. ;)

Correct! For your wisdom, you have now been imbued with all the powers of the Internet. Please use your newfound powers wisely, and for good.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
An electric train is moving North at 60 mph and the wind is blowing South at 40 mph. Which way does the smoke travel?

What sort of powerplant are you using to make the electricity? Naturl gas? Coal? Nuclear?

You have _got_ to be careful with that kind of careless challenge, lest you find yourself thrown into the gorge of eternal peril, my friend.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm..

This is an interesting question, I've never even considered that before.

Snover, does gravity move at a specific speed? I'm gonna text a friend who might know this answer.

Gravity propagates in waves that move at the speed of light. This has been proven even before the advent of observatories such as LIGO.

One astronomer I know does not like the term "speed of light," he prefers to call it the "speed of information," for a couple of reasons.

One, the speed of light is not a constant. It slows down in any medium through which it passes. It slows down in gravitational fields. What is popularly considered the speed of light, 186,000 miles-per-second ('cause I'm a non-metric system kind of guy) is, in fact, light's maximum speed in a vacuum. In other words,the speed at which even light can go no faster.

Two, many other things in the universe are observed to obey the so-called speed of light, including gravity.

So, for those reasons, he prefers to call it "the speed of information." Or, if he's had a few drinks, "The speed of the information event horizon between two or more inertial reference frames."

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Which is why all the text book word it as "near speed of light" or .9c, something like that. Just stupid scenarios to illustrate special relativity, Lorentz transformations, time dialation, etc. The effect still come into play well below speed of light and definitely do happen and can be proven. The corrections needed for GPS is the usual everyday example.

Gravitational waves are finite energy waves and therefore move at the speed of light as far as my understanding. If you want to get really picky you would technically receive the gravity first as the light would be slowed in the atmosphere. I could be over looking something though.

Dead-on right. GPS is daily proof of several tenets of General Relativity.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member

Cloooose. Gravity is not a force, though it behaves a lot like one. It is not acceleration, but the effects it produces behave in exactly the same way. It is the by-product of the presence of mass and/or energy distorting spacetime. Mass is not the Higgs Boson, but it is believed (currently) that the Higgs Boson is the particle that carries mass, whatever it is. And that the presence of mass is what curves spacetime, which is what we call gravity.

No one has yet defined what gravity is. Even Einstein, in general Relativity, was very careful not to say what gravity is or what causes it. GR only gives us a theoretical tool to understand what it does, how it behaves, what its limits are.

Interesting fun fact: gravity is the weakest of all the forces ( I know, I just said it wasn't. But it is useful to describe it as one). But it is the force that shapes the entire universe due to one interesting fact: it always adds up. It cannot be shielded, it cannot be diverted, redirected, minimized or negated.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
One other fun gravity fact: mass and energy (same thing, sayeth Uncle Al) curve space, which we call gravity. A gravitational field is potential energy. since it has energy, a gravitational field's strength _also_ contributes to the gravity in a gravitational field. The best illustration I know for this is: if you could weigh the Earth, you woud find it weighs slightly more than just the quantity of Earth would lead you to believe. You would find Earth weighs about as much as the Earth PLUS about the mass of one more Mt. Everest. That extra mountain's-worth of gravity comes from the energy contained in Earth's own gravitational field. Yes: gravity is a self-reactive thing, and it makes the math get ugly in a hurry.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Gravity propagates in waves that move at the speed of light. This has been proven even before the advent of observatories such as LIGO.

One astronomer I know does not like the term "speed of light," he prefers to call it the "speed of information," for a couple of reasons.

One, the speed of light is not a constant. It slows down in any medium through which it passes. It slows down in gravitational fields. What is popularly considered the speed of light, 186,000 miles-per-second ('cause I'm a non-metric system kind of guy) is, in fact, light's maximum speed in a vacuum. In other words,the speed at which even light can go no faster.

Two, many other things in the universe are observed to obey the so-called speed of light, including gravity.

So, for those reasons, he prefers to call it "the speed of information." Or, if he's had a few drinks, "The speed of the information event horizon between two or more inertial reference frames."

That's so painfully similar to what my buddy said who has been studying that sort of thing. I asked "does gravity have a speed limit?" and he said "yeah, it's the speed of light, but you can pretty much think of it as the speed limit of information as well."

Then he went on about Einstein.

Users who are viewing this thread