The old airplane on a conveyor...

Coiled03

Established Member
Plane needs air speed over its wings to fly, plane not moving forward = no air speed = no lift.

Uh huh....and what's going to prevent it from moving forward? Nothing.

God damnit. Do we really have to go over this again?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Apparently so. I can without pause say that there is massive ignorance afoot.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Always fun to just sit back and watch whenever this pops up.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
A light is placed equal distance between two men who are standing at opposite ends of an arbitrarily long train moving at the speed of light.

Who sees the light in the middle of the train first?

Klay

Established Member
I think this thread popped up again in 2008 or so if I remember right. I remember it took place right before the mythbusters episode.

But ya, seems people mostly know now that it takes off.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
So in reality, the plane drives off the end of the conveyor belt, and still doesn't fly.

But the argument is IF it can it take off, and given the physics of how planes fly, yes it can take off. Because planes use air thrust to move. So in the context of this riddle/argument you have to assume the plane needs to use its engine to move forward to prove(or disprove) the results of the argument...thus the plane accelerates and overcomes the "conveyor" that's moving the opposite direction because the wheels of a plane don't have any effect on forward movement under normal conditions(functioning wheels/bearings...etc). They just spin freely forward and backward. The plane takes off as normal albeit the wheels spinning a little faster since the ground is moving.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
thePill told me it would only fly if it's equipped with a hot v turbo setup and rocking the motor code named hummingbird with a stout 808 hp rating that Dodge stole from Ford developing a plan for the Demon to precisely produce that number on pump gas. Mark this post, it's all true. That's why Travis begged him repeatedly to come back to drop his God like knowledge on the SVTP boards.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
thePill told me it would only fly if it's equipped with a hot v turbo setup and code name hummingbird motor with a stout 808 hp rating that Dodge stole from Ford developing a plan for the Demon to precisely produce that number on pump gas. Mark this post, it's all true.

thePill knows his shit! Dude's got advanced automotive engineering degrees in metallurgy, alchemy and shit. If anyone knows the sorcery required for flight under these conditions it would be thePill.

Users who are viewing this thread