The Terminator and Fair Market Value

Skywarp

Established Member
Hell in New York on the Island. Hassett Lincoln Mercury recently had a 2007 GT500 with 20k miles for $41k. If you paid high 20s for a ultra clean example, you would be getting a deal. A car that can run with $60K dollar plus car with the right parts. Low miles are the key and care for long term value holders. I'm thankful to have an extreme example like this and wouldn't let it go for less.:)

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
The 03 & 04 Cobras have been in high demand since they came out, they're fast..they look good, and Ford really hasn't put anything out in a while to get those Mustang faithfuls something to get excited about. (The GT500s are too fat and too expensive) Now....with the 2011 5.0 coming out...less weight and more power than a stock termy...I think you'll start to see the termies will become a little easier to come by.
Of course all of this depends on how much the 2011 cars cost and how greedy dealers will get.

Skywarp

Established Member
The 03 & 04 Cobras have been in high demand since they came out, they're fast..they look good, and Ford really hasn't put anything out in a while to get those Mustang faithfuls something to get excited about. (The GT500s are too fat and too expensive) Now....with the 2011 5.0 coming out...less weight and more power than a stock termy...I think you'll start to see the termies will become a little easier to come by.
Of course all of this depends on how much the 2011 cars cost and how greedy dealers will get.

Really depends on internals and compression ratio for the 2011. Boost may not be worth it if compression is too high along with no forged internals. Cam and heads. But hard to equal the power of the Terminator aspirated without alot of work and money.

Jack Burton

Established Member
You are wrong in so many ways.

1. If you have to finace a car 100% then you shouldn't even buy one.
2. Not everyone is broke and people with the cash are still going to buy toys. It is the guys that got in over their head and finance everything that are in trouble now but imo they deserve what they are getting.
3. Gas mileage? Come on people don't buy these cars to save on gas, get real it is a toy not a car to replace my civic.
4. guess you forgot that number:shrug:
5. Any classic car is old news, technology improves and each new generation of vehicle is better than the last. It has nothing to do with a vehicle's resale value. Not every Terminator owner wants a damn Shelby so the market isn't exactly flooded with pristine examples of Terminators. You can find a lot of junks that is for sure.
6. I hate when people use the "oh the Terminator is 7 years old" arguement to justify why they aren't worth anything. The demand on these cars is strong and will continue to be age has nothing to do with it!

"How can you justify to yourself that a seven year old car you have to take out 20K+ out of your saving for with no warranty, questionable history, and a questionable future. "

I did it last year and I sleep good at night. I justified it to myself because I love these cars, it didn't matter how old it was and I don't like the new body style. I mean your logic makes no sense, why even buy any used car then? questionable history? Please explain because last I checked these motors are bulletproof.

This battle will never end. There are always going to be people that think its just a mustang and not worth what people are asking and those who think they are a special car that is worth spending a little exta on.

Just to point out the obvious flaws in your logic:

1.) Yes, if you have to finance 100% then no, you should not buy the car. But, most people do. Hence the reason why the amount of cars sold recently is VERY slow. Two years ago a good car sold in about a week. Now, even ones for $16k sell slow.' Sad but true.

2.) No, not everyone is broke, Some people are doing quite well in fact. But, look at the for sale threads. Fact is most people are broke, hence why these are sellling slower than molasses pouring on a 30 degree day.

3.) I agree, gas mileage isn't much of an issue. If you are looking at a Cobra in the first place, gas mileage isn't really on the top of your priorities.

5.) Yes, technology will improve. That is pretty much a given. Yes, it does affect the resale value on the car. You aren't going to see a late 90's cobra catching the same rate as a modern cobra. Sad but true.

6.) I will agree with you 100% that the demand for these cars are VERY strong. They are a car with a cult like following. Unfortunately, as strong as the demand is, the amount of people that have the money for one of these is isn't nearly as high as the demand. Hence the drop in price.

The glory days are gone...for now at least. I remember when I bought my first terminator...drove it for a while, and sold it for more than I paid for it. Not many cars that you can do that with. I also bought mine with higher mileage and for more than $20k...and back then, that was a deal. Now, not so much.

We as cobra owners tend to be hypocrites. We are nervous people. We want to buy the cars for cheap...but, if anybody tries to sell theirs for cheap, we get all torqued up that the seller is hurting the market value.

Now, with all that being said, I'm in the market to pick up a cobra again. Now, are there better buys out there? Sure as hell yes. Do I want those buys? Nah, not really. Terminator is what I want. I may pick up one from a family member, not sure if the are going to sell or not. If financing is a pain (doubt it will, my credit is usually over a 770) I may be forced to pursue other options. One is a GT500...now, do I like the GT500 more than the terminator...no, I do not. But, to the banks, it's a more attractive loan. Sadly, the world of financing/credit does not appeal to our lovestruck feeling for these cars and adjust itself about 20% over market to make people happy.

Well, I'm gonna get off my soapbox. As both a buyer and seller, you usually can't have it both ways. The market is the market, and reality is reality. Those who have tried to sell their cars according to the market have done so. Those that are stuck in the past (2yrs ago) and start all their threads with (I don't have to sell (which is ironic, since they don't sell)) and try to ask over KBB (which I don't follow, since their are always things you overlook) are still sitting on them. Yes, we all think are cars are worth more than they actually are...and yes, there is always people that will pay that extra amount because it is worth it to them...but, when people don't have the cash on hand (which many people do not) and when they can't get a loan cause the buyer wants a lot more than the KBB (which is typical now a days) the car will sit in for sale limbo.

Can I afford a terminator...yes, I can. Can I afford a GT500? Yes, I can. I'm just keeping my eyes open for the right car. From what it looks like, I can get a car for a great deal now, which is great. Does it make me feel like I overpaid when I bought my first one? Hell yeah it does. But, banks were lending for what I paid for it and they were selling for that. It's all part of how things flow, we can't always have the best of both worlds when buying and selling. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Can I afford a terminator...yes, I can. Can I afford a GT500? Yes, I can. I'm just keeping my eyes open for the right car. From what it looks like, I can get a car for a great deal now, which is great. Does it make me feel like I overpaid when I bought my first one? Hell yeah it does. But, banks were lending for what I paid for it and they were selling for that. It's all part of how things flow, we can't always have the best of both worlds when buying and selling. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes.

When I bought my 04 in 05 I could have paid cash for several higher end sports cars. I didn't want them, I wanted THIS car. I paid a bit of a premium but didn't care because it was the car I wanted in the color I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

Also there are several reasons for financing a car 100% besides HAVING to. sometimes you want your cash available for other things.

Jack Burton

Established Member
When I bought my 04 in 05 I could have paid cash for several higher end sports cars. I didn't want them, I wanted THIS car. I paid a bit of a premium but didn't care because it was the car I wanted in the color I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

Also there are several reasons for financing a car 100% besides HAVING to. sometimes you want your cash available for other things.

I do agree with everything you just said. Of course, I could buy a boosted up GT for cheaper than a terminator. Would I do that? Hell no. To me, the terminator is worth more to me. I'm not hte type of person that will go with the cheap option. I know what I want. If I can't afford it, then I'll get nothing at all.

I also agree with the financing. Luckily, I do well financially. I'm not a millionaire or anything like that, but I live a good life by most standards. Often times, I'll finance toys (if the in interest rate is low) in order to keep cash free for other things.

Ironically, the terminator that I speak of that I'm kinda holding out for is a low mileage mystichrome. To me, personally, it's worth well over KBB.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ironically, the terminator that I speak of that I'm kinda holding out for is a low mileage mystichrome. To me, personally, it's worth well over KBB.

LOL 50K and you can have mine :beer: 5100 miles basic mods done ;-)

I have decided that is what it would take to pry it loose out of my garage

Jack Burton

Established Member
LOL 50K and you can have mine :beer: 5100 miles basic mods done ;-)

I have decided that is what it would take to pry it loose out of my garage

:burnout: Ironically, that's the beauty of it. You know that somebody isn't going to pay that much for the car...but, you aren't asking that much for it. In fact, you don't want to sell it (and I don't blame you). You are a man that knows what your car is worth...and you know what it's worth to you...and you know that they aren't remotely the same...so, the solution is simple...don't sell it! And you aren't, so it's any easy fix :beer: Hopefully you will never be in a position where you are forced to sell. Definitely a car worth hanging on to. As side note, the one I'm eyeballing has 17,000 miles and is bone stock all the way down to the factory tires. Well worth it to me. :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
:burnout: Ironically, that's the beauty of it. You know that somebody isn't going to pay that much for the car...but, you aren't asking that much for it. In fact, you don't want to sell it (and I don't blame you). You are a man that knows what your car is worth...and you know what it's worth to you...and you know that they aren't remotely the same...so, the solution is simple...don't sell it! And you aren't, so it's any easy fix :beer: Hopefully you will never be in a position where you are forced to sell. Definitely a car worth hanging on to. As side note, the one I'm eyeballing has 17,000 miles and is bone stock all the way down to the factory tires. Well worth it to me. :beer:

right on all counts. :beer:

Silver95

Established Member
I highly doubt the new 2011 GT will have the ability to be as mod friendly as the Terminators are. I don't own cobra yet but I watch you guys get 450rwhp+ with shit you can do in your driveway, its unreal.

I will be very impressed if the internals, as someone previously stated are as stout or surpass the cobra in quality and overall rigidity. It's no secret the motors are built like a brick shit house :D

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
supply and demand=everyone that has ping pong balls will not sell them for less then 500.00 then the value is 500.00. if you are not able or willing to pay it so be it, the person that has a table and two paddles and is able will. as for kbb and nada, the value is what i would have to pay to replace the car with the same car, not what you say the value is.

ace23

Established Member
I don't have a problem with prices on cobras really....although many are way over priced. I see lots of awesome deals on cars and then I see a TON of overpiced ragged the **** out cobras. Best to just shop around and find a nice KB car for 24K with decent miles.....and about them being rare...there is like 60 for sale on E-bay all day long. I would like grab up a nice black vert when I come across the right one

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
I highly doubt the new 2011 GT will have the ability to be as mod friendly as the Terminators are. I don't own cobra yet but I watch you guys get 450rwhp+ with shit you can do in your driveway, its unreal.

I will be very impressed if the internals, as someone previously stated are as stout or surpass the cobra in quality and overall rigidity. It's no secret the motors are built like a brick shit house :D

Yeah but those 450rwhp cobras have at least 6 years of age on them now, and mother time will catch them soon enough...and I can speak from experience and say that is is very hard to find one that is and always has been stock that hasn't had the holy crap kicked out of it. I ran a compression test on 3 three Cobras before I found one that was healthy enough for me to purchase.

And as to the internals of the 2011 engine, there is a dyno floating around of that engine spinning to 7K

Silver95

Established Member
Yeah but those 450rwhp cobras have at least 6 years of age on them now, and mother time will catch them soon enough...and I can speak from experience and say that is is very hard to find one that is and always has been stock that hasn't had the holy crap kicked out of it. I ran a compression test on 3 three Cobras before I found one that was healthy enough for me to purchase.

And as to the internals of the 2011 engine, there is a dyno floating around of that engine spinning to 7K

You're absolutely right. It is difficult to find unmolested cobra's however if you look and are patient, there are some bone stock, low mile examples out there. That's all that I wanna do, buy a stock one and do my own subtle mods and call it a day.

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
I don't have a problem with prices on cobras really....although many are way over priced. I see lots of awesome deals on cars and then I see a TON of overpiced ragged the **** out cobras. Best to just shop around and find a nice KB car for 24K with decent miles.....and about them being rare...there is like 60 for sale on E-bay all day long. I would like grab up a nice black vert when I come across the right one

ok im calling you out. you said " and about them being rare...there is like 60 for sale on E-bay all day long." well just for fun i went to ebay and only counted 20 03-04 cobras. cobra Ford, buy and sell Cars Trucks, saleen on eBay Motors
tee hee

Users who are viewing this thread