The Terminator and Fair Market Value

stvdman

Established Member
Great write-up.

As far as the 2011 GT, I was REALLY considering getting one, I still am actually. more ADVERTISED HP than my 03 Cobra, probably a more comfortable car, nicer interior, exterior is nice, a REAL NICE CAR!

I was concerned with the internals, which are now rumored to be "powdered metal rods and hyperuretic pistons". Couple that with a 11:1cr and the upper end of mod-ability isnt very high. I also dont like the idea of 10's of thousands of copies of the same car running around. Maybe 50,000-60,000 2011 GT's will get sold? Maybe more? They wil look VERY simlar to the V-6 cars, especially the ones with the "pony" package and the V-6's come with dual exhaust also.

So in short, those that have a real interest in an 03-04 Cobra probably have that interest based on the terminators stock performance, HUGE mod potential, low build numbers, and shocking shift in Mustang performance for its day. None of those factors are changing. Those factors alone will keep the very small percentage of people out there interested in terminators, interested for a very long time.

Hell if there are 40,000 people in the ENTIRE world who REALLY COVET a 03-04 Cobra, then 50% of them are gonna be coveting them for the rest of their lives cause there were less than 20,000 made.

Personally I NEVER considered the outside interest for the 03 Cobra in my purchase of the car. All I know is I WANTED ONE BAD! I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted one!

The only thing I did on the spur of the moment when I bought the car is getting a 10th Anniversary model. I wanted a Sonic Blue in the worst way. There wasnt one on the lot. I saw a black on sitting there and it reminded my of the spy pictures with the fabric covers all over the front. Plus in black...ooooooh... DAMN it looked BAD ASS! There was a black 10th Ann sitting right next to that one, I asked what the differance was and the sales guy just said "some styling pieces". when I asked how much more, the sales manage said I could have it for $500 bucks more than the regular Cobra.... So $31,100 and I was OUT THE DOOR!

Did I mention that I wanted one? And for those that WANT ONE, theyll have to pay for it, cause there are just not enough TERMINATORS out there for the demand, and the elevated prices will continue until that demand goes away. And with less than 20,000 units running around....demand will always be there. IMHO.

ace23

Established Member
ok im calling you out. you said " and about them being rare...there is like 60 for sale on E-bay all day long." well just for fun i went to ebay and only counted 20 03-04 cobras. cobra Ford, buy and sell Cars Trucks, saleen on eBay Motors
tee hee

looks like your right but just keep checking.....someday there might be 15 others there will be 60...I just think everybody playing on the "rare" card is kinda silly. I see them at local auto lots alot also. We are just not talking about a yenko camaro here. Give it 10 more years and for sure they will be harder to find

Skywarp

Established Member
Great write-up.

As far as the 2011 GT, I was REALLY considering getting one, I still am actually. more ADVERTISED HP than my 03 Cobra, probably a more comfortable car, nicer interior, exterior is nice, a REAL NICE CAR!

I was concerned with the internals, which are now rumored to be "powdered metal rods and hyperuretic pistons". Couple that with a 11:1cr and the upper end of mod-ability isnt very high. I also dont like the idea of 10's of thousands of copies of the same car running around. Maybe 50,000-60,000 2011 GT's will get sold? Maybe more? They wil look VERY simlar to the V-6 cars, especially the ones with the "pony" package and the V-6's come with dual exhaust also.

So in short, those that have a real interest in an 03-04 Cobra probably have that interest based on the terminators stock performance, HUGE mod potential, low build numbers, and shocking shift in Mustang performance for its day. None of those factors are changing. Those factors alone will keep the very small percentage of people out there interested in terminators, interested for a very long time.

Hell if there are 40,000 people in the ENTIRE world who REALLY COVET a 03-04 Cobra, then 50% of them are gonna be coveting them for the rest of their lives cause there were less than 20,000 made.

Personally I NEVER considered the outside interest for the 03 Cobra in my purchase of the car. All I know is I WANTED ONE BAD! I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted one!

The only thing I did on the spur of the moment when I bought the car is getting a 10th Anniversary model. I wanted a Sonic Blue in the worst way. There wasnt one on the lot. I saw a black on sitting there and it reminded my of the spy pictures with the fabric covers all over the front. Plus in black...ooooooh... DAMN it looked BAD ASS! There was a black 10th Ann sitting right next to that one, I asked what the differance was and the sales guy just said "some styling pieces". when I asked how much more, the sales manage said I could have it for $500 bucks more than the regular Cobra.... So $31,100 and I was OUT THE DOOR!

Did I mention that I wanted one? And for those that WANT ONE, theyll have to pay for it, cause there are just not enough TERMINATORS out there for the demand, and the elevated prices will continue until that demand goes away. And with less than 20,000 units running around....demand will always be there. IMHO.

Think about it like this. How many out of that 20K are still around. Natural disaster, theft, user abuse, etc. Your looking at third or fourth owners now probably with most.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The very reason this country is in the position its in right now is because of people buying shit they can't afford. If you have to finance a "toy", you shouldn't be buying it. If your basing the value of a sports/muscle car on what a bank will give you to finance it, your not in the position to buy one in the first place.
Americans want instant gratification. God forbid they wait and save for something they want. Why do that when they can put themselves in hock for 5 - 7 years and pay twice the amount of the original purchase in finance charges or worse. F it, just finance it and when you can't afford or don't want to afford the payments anymore, just claim bankrupcy and let it be someone elses problem. Then complain about taxes and deficits when you don't clearly understand them in the first place. It's the American way.....

The OP has some good points and so do some of the other posters here, but the bottom line is that theres an ass for every seat. If I have what you want and no one else can give it to you, I have the upper hand. You can slice it or dice it any otehr way you want, but it all comes down to the laws of supply and demand.

Marc

Established Member
I see prices on these cars dropping all the time and it kind of depresses me. I think they are worth more than the Average Joe car running the streets. I know that the economy are bringing the prices down, so in retrospect I am good with it.

I remember seeing a 04 CO Cobra for $20K here in the forums the other day and was like, "Damn! Thats a good deal!" I paid $30K for mine with 14K miles on it almost 4 years ago. it is mint condition (still is) and has only 17K miles on the clock today. Still has the new car smell. It hurts me even more thinking about dumping another $7K into the car in mods when I return from overseas. I will have a $38K investment worth probably $25K at tops. I probably can get a cobra here with all the goodies for sub $25K. But, I am the second owner of my 04 CO Cobra and know exactly what has been done to it. Hell, the guy that owned it before me, was more anal about it's upkeep than I am (hard to believe that).

But, like everyone has said, its about supply vs. demand and what someone is willing to pay for the car of their dreams. I wanted one in CO with low miles, so I paid a little more. Honestly, if I could talk my wife into it, I would love to buy a 04 CO Vert. Having 1 of 72 verts in this color is very appealing to me. I do think many, many, years down the road, this vert will demand a lot of money...but, that is my opinion.

idhitit

Established Member
internet-serious-business.jpg

All I have to add...

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Lots of different views and thoughts in this thread. I am still blown away at the prices that Fox body 5.0's, especially Cobra's bring. You can't touch a 60k mile, 17yr old car for less than 15k. If correct, there is no financing available for them and their MSRP was only 22k. If I can drive my CO for the next ten years and get 15k for it then I would be very happy.

Actually I am approaching 3yrs of ownership (which is way past my normal) and have no desire to replace the car with something newer. Only thing that passed through my mind was to sell and purchase a 93' Cobra with cash to rid myself of the Terminator payment. That thought diminshes everytime that I sit in the cobra and mash the throttle. For me I guess that it is a little differernt with the CO, as I believe that if I had another color that was easily replacable the car might already be gone. Something about a "7 yr old" car that can park next to new mustang, camaro, or charger and get the same attention makes me love it more.

To all, enjoy your cars.
To those who are buying, be patient and find the right car.
To those selling, ask what you wish it is yours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread