Thinking about a ZL1, but why are they soo.. slow?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
1 super fast lap doesnt mean it can do that same time lap after lap. There are hard core track guys that heatsoak their ZL1. its the supercharger and weight that is slowing it down.

Where have you seen that mentioned? The ZL1 has 11 heat exchangers (not just for supercharger, obviously) and better cooling performance than the Z06, which apparently is noted for having heat issues at the roadcourse once ambient is in the 90s, IIRC.

blk02edge

Established Member
Where have you seen that mentioned? The ZL1 has 11 heat exchangers (not just for supercharger, obviously) and better cooling performance than the Z06, which apparently is noted for having heat issues at the roadcourse once ambient is in the 90s, IIRC.
We have a few of them that have been at the track 3 or 4 days a week doing session after session with no cooling issues, pretty impressive for a boosted car

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Seems like plenty of dealers offer supercharger kits with warranty on the gt's

it's a bit misleading, believe that warranty is limited and only applicable to stage 1 cars, anything beyond stage 1 and you are on your own. Pretty sure you have to go back to the dealer you bought it from as well for any powertrain related issues.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
FWIW, on another forum there was a guy at COTA doing a track day. There were 5 ZL1 1LEs out there, every one of them had overheating issues. One of them got 17 minutes out of his, the others were closer to 15.

He said it was definitely hot, over 90.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
FWIW, on another forum there was a guy at COTA doing a track day. There were 5 ZL1 1LEs out there, every one of them had overheating issues. One of them got 17 minutes out of his, the others were closer to 15.

New zr1 has this issue too. In the motortrend best drivers car article, GM was “begging” to run their time early in the morning when it was colder. They couldn’t and didn’t, ended up running 1 second quicker than the c7z. GM did magic with these supercharged cars. But they will heat soak lap after lap in hotter weather.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
New zr1 has this issue too. In the motortrend best drivers car article, GM was “begging” to run their time early in the morning when it was colder. They couldn’t and didn’t, ended up running 1 second quicker than the c7z. GM did magic with these supercharged cars. But they will heat soak lap after lap in hotter weather.
There is only so much you can do I guess.

It makes me concerned for the GT500 but maybe they will get it figured out.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
The ZL1 is a much better car than an 03 Cobra. I had a Whippled Cobra with full suspension. Sold it about 4 months ago with 32k miles. It was fun on the track but limited with it’s old technology suspension and heat issues. I had both cooling systems upgraded and tuned to match. Car just felt cheap on the interior. I now own a 2018 ZL1-1LE. Awesome car. Interior is very nice, plenty of power. Have not tracked it yet due to not enough break in miles. I was a Ford guy all my life but this ZL1 is really something special and is very well designed. The Alpha chassis the 6-gen Camaro is built on is well thought out and works very well. The ZL1-1LE is lighter than a standard ZL1.

blk02edge

Established Member

Odd considering ive first hand witnessed them going all day averaging the same incredible lap times with no issue. Its one of the only oem cars besides the GT3's that tracks all day and then drives home. We get to triple digits in temps too

Users who are viewing this thread