Thinking about purchasing a 13-14 GT500, but dont know how to drive manual

willpower

Established Member
I know, its ridiculous.

I've loved cars since I was a child, modified and worked on so many over the past 12 years but I haven't ever owned a manual car or properly driven one.

I know how to, but just haven't successfully driven one.

I'm currently in a 2013 GT Auto.

Would I need to ask a friend to teach me how to drive before I could make it home from the lot with a GT500? I'm thinking the 650hp could be a bit much.

Thanks!!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
With the traction control on, stability control, hill assist, and with you using a mature brain, you can easily drive this car home after a little bit of instruction and practice. Will you keep it out of a ditch after you've had it a month and you have dropped your guard now that... "I got this, yo!"….? No one can answer that one. :beer:

willpower

Established Member
With the traction control on, stability control, hill assist, and with you using a mature brain, you can easily drive this car home after a little bit of instruction and practice. Will you keep it out of a ditch after you've had it a month and you have dropped your guard now that... "I got this, yo!"….? No one can answer that one. :beer:

That's good to know, I'm also mostly worried about damaging the clutch, but hopefully I'll be okay.

railroad

Established Member
Some of the small economy cars ie, Honda Fit, etc are really easy to drive. Maybe you can get someone to rent one in your name and practice. And, you might move up to a larger car before trying the Shelby. The Shelby has as assist spring on the clutch that takes a little more time to master. I think Competition's advise is good. Too easy to smoke the clutch on the Shelby. Good luck,

Tikigrill

Established Member
I took my 13 Shelby by a reputable shop a couple days ago to have my BMR suspension adjusted and the guy stalled the car 6 times right in front of me. I'm only mentioning this because even for experienced folks this particular clutch is tricky and I know you wouldn't want to abuse the car that way.

Like other guys have said, just a bit of practice on some less expensive/easier cars would serve you well.

Good luck!!!

:beer:

USV8PWR

Established Member
First of all OP, it is NOT ridiculous. Have you always lived in LA?? If so, I too wouldn't be driving a manual (at least not my everyday car). Due to the insane amount of traffic out there not knowing how to drive a manual is not uncommon. I have a buddy who lived in the Bronx who had never paralled parked a car before (because they don't drive that much there) and I taught him how to at 26 years old. While he taught me a thing or two about boxing. haha

I completely agree on learning how to drive a manual comfortably on something else so that you don't tear up the tricky clutch in this car or hit the gas to hard/or pop the clutch in first gear and lose control. BUT, don't let that stop you from buying the car! You WILL learn how to drive it and ALL of us had to learn to drive a manual at some point!

I remember the frustration at 17 of having to learn how to drive a manual. My very patient Dad rode around with his very inpatient/frustrated son for several hours before saying to me, "look you know how to do it, you just gotta keep practicing". And then he said something that helped me pick it up more than anything else. He said, "if your mother, who is a retard, can drive a manual car fine you will too!" I took that last statement to heart and I picked it up well that afternoon with a few occassional stalls throughout the next week or so.

While many on here learned to drive a manual at a young age, I bet a lot less learned how to shift/drive a motorcycle at such an early age. I've had many friends want to buy a certain bike before they really knew how too. Now almost all took a rider class on some cheap bikes first and either had a trusted friend ride the bike home for them or they trailered it, but its basically the same thing.

My suggestion. IF this wont be your everyday car (you driven autos for years and live in LA. There is a lot to love, as well as a lot to hate about manual cars), you found a sweet deal and are in the position to do so, then buy the car! Have it driven back to your place and then learn to drive a manual comfortably in a cheaper car for a few days. Finally have someone take you in the Shelby to a deserted area to practice with it. Good luck!

Last edited:

adrunk3nh0b0

Established Member
People may not want to hear this but I feel like my input could be beneficial

I learned to drive manual on my 2013 shelby. I had driven manual once before on vacation in Europe but as you all know this car is unlike any other, so it did not help much.

First time I got in the car, stalled it three times in a row. I finally got it rolling and then it's easy from that point. If u learn on this car I highly suggest stay on back roads for at least a week until you can comfortably get the car rolling 9 times out of ten before moving to a main road. Trust me, I went straight for the main road and it's not fun stalling in the middle of an intersection. The most important part is to have someone who is experienced in the car with you to guide you and other than that you will be fine.

All in all it was about a month of driving that i was no longer stalling and I could say I am very comfortable driving.

P.S.- one helpful tip that helped me, instead of using your whole foot to press the clutch and releasing by just pulling your leg up, push the clutch in, plant your heel on the floor, and release the clutch by flexing your ankle and allowing your toes to come towards your shin. Helped me stay 1000000 times more stable

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, while learning on this car probably isnt the best choice, Im sure there are worse options.

Keep the traction aids on, keel your revs low when moving from a stand still, and be patient.

Youll have it down in a few hours and cruising comfortably in days.

Simon_C

Established Member
The engagement point is high on these cars. Get on a flat surface and practice letting the clutch out slowly and try to get the car rolling without using the accelerator. Once you do that few times you get the feel for the clutch.

landsteam

Established Member
Very easy to learn, you should have no worries. I thought many people to drive sticks in a couple of hours. I thought our friends teenage daughter on her brand new GTI.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
How to Drive Manual: 16 Steps - wikiHow

Check youtube for videos too.

A car is a car. Yes the Shelby is a powerful car but YOU are in control not the vehicle. Just go easy and you should be fine. Just remember foot off clutch pedal when trans in neutral this will prevent unnecessary wear on the clutch items.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I learned to drive manual on my 2007. I had it trailered to my home from California and picked it up at the guard gate. I stalled it six times before I was finally able to shudder it forward. Getting up my slightly inclined driveway was good for another 8-10 stalls. For the next few weeks, when time allowed, I would practice around the neighborhood streets before anyone was up and about. That being said, if you want a 2013 go for it. But I would hesitate to drive it home without having had practice of some kind first. Then again, you may not be as much of a nervous Nellie as myself.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I recommend learning and gaining some experience on something that costs a lot less than $60K-$70K. IMO, there's no substitute for the experience piece, especially with cars like these. Just about anyone can learn the mechanics pretty quickly, but doing so doesn't equip the driver for the all contingencies, especially when 662HP/631FT-LBS is involved...

Last edited:

RLL

Established Member
One thing I strongly suggest is when first learning to drive turn the Radio/CD
player off. Listen to the motor, it will give you a feel when to shift. Take it easy and be smooth with the clutch and accelerator. Like it has been said, the Shelby has a high clutch.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I highly recommend you do NOT make a GT500 your first manual car.

+1.

If you have the means to buy a gt500. You have the means to go on Craigslist. Buy a $1000 car with a manual Trans, and drive it everyday for a couple months to get the hang of it. Soon after, you should be good
To go

Users who are viewing this thread