Thinking of trunk mount IC res

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Call the co on my tank in the pics. He will make what ever you need. I am pretty sure he is the guy that builds them for Chissled and he is a bit less expensive. It has to be tall enough inside to house the relatively large Rule pump though. I also elavated mine so I coud clean up the water that ends up in the spare tire well from run away ice and drips. My car is more of a weekend warior/race car too so I dont need the trunk for storage. Tank, Bat, bottle, Done.

keith89

Established Member
anyone else have photos of how they rain their intercooler lines out of the trunk and around the IRS?

keith89

Established Member
Yes, it is the smaller tank, it is 14x14x5. It came with a rule 1100 in it. You can barely get your hand in there to replace it. I broke off one of the tabs to hold it in.. I should have ordered the larger tank with the heavy duty pump. So this setup is just not going to work for me. Anyone have feedback on the heavy duty pump? It's good to have that Aeroforce gauge to monitor temps.

I think all the chiseled tanks that fit in the cobra spare tire well come with the rule 1100 if you get the internal pump option. I dont' think any of the higher rule pumps fit inside due to the height. how did you even remove it? Looking inside the tank I can't even imagine removing it without breaking off a tab. I wonder if they welded the plate on after mounting the pump to it.

Anyone else have issues with the rule 1100 in their chiseled tank? How is the flow compared to the stock pump/tank setup? Does the water churn as violently inside the chisled tank?

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
So evil you have the 14x14x9, which is why it sits so high correct? And what pump do you have running inside? I would think this setup would be perfect with a good pump in tank and then one mounted to pump it through the IC up front.

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
I think all the chiseled tanks that fit in the cobra spare tire well come with the rule 1100 if you get the internal pump option. I dont' think any of the higher rule pumps fit inside due to the height. how did you even remove it? Looking inside the tank I can't even imagine removing it without breaking off a tab. I wonder if they welded the plate on after mounting the pump to it.

Anyone else have issues with the rule 1100 in their chiseled tank? How is the flow compared to the stock pump/tank setup? Does the water churn as violently inside the chisled tank?

That's right, the 1100 is wedged in there. It is a major PITA to get in/out. The tabs are part of the filter bottom, I guess thats what you call it, that come with a new 1100, so it can be replaced as well. That part is held down by 2 small nuts/bolts . I have the bottom replaced now as well, but I think I am going to go with that external Jabsco pump some are using. That way I don't have to buy a new tank to get a bigger pump... The tank itself is fine..Over time it seems the rule just gets slower and slower until it dies. I opened up the holes in the trunk near each wheel well to run 3/4 hose through the frame rail. But I have SRA, so it came out where I think it would be blocked on an IRS car.

MVD

Established Member
And what pump do you have running inside? I would think this setup would be perfect with a good pump in tank and then one mounted to pump it through the IC up front.

You don't need 2 pumps. Actually just the stocker pump is fine. Been running mine like that for over 4 years now, never an issue.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You don't need 2 pumps. Actually just the stocker pump is fine. Been running mine like that for over 4 years now, never an issue.

Where is your stock pump mounted at?
I used a stock pump in the stock location.
When it pumped it flowed well. It would constantly loose prime.
I added a Rule 850 into the 16x16x5 tank.
A bigger pump wouldn't fit.
The system works great with no issues.

04Cobra85

Established Member
Wouldnt the kc be a better choice then a trunk mount tank ? reason i ask is because of the weight of 6 gallons and plus the full lines from front to back. 6 gallons would be close to 50lbs.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Wouldnt the kc be a better choice then a trunk mount tank ? reason i ask is because of the weight of 6 gallons and plus the full lines from front to back. 6 gallons would be close to 50lbs.

It probably would be but my tank and most components were no cost to me.
Plus it moved the weight from the front of the car the the rear.

keith89

Established Member
It probably would be but my tank and most components were no cost to me.
Plus it moved the weight from the front of the car the the rear.

I have a killer chiller and just moved my tank to the trunk. I did it because the aluminum tank up front would soak up engine heat and combat the killer chiller. Now the tank sits in my trunk where it is much cooler and insulated with dynamat and ensolite foam.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a killer chiller and just moved my tank to the trunk. I did it because the aluminum tank up front would soak up engine heat and combat the killer chiller. Now the tank sits in my trunk where it is much cooler and insulated with dynamat and ensolite foam.

A tow truck driver was nice enough to rip off my front bumper and IC on Friday night.:(:cuss:
I'm think now would be a great time to add a KC.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Yea a killer chiller is good, but this would be a good solution for most and much cheaper. Not to mention it keeps some weight off the nose of this beast.

keith89

Established Member
A tow truck driver was nice enough to rip off my front bumper and IC on Friday night.:(:cuss:
I'm think now would be a great time to add a KC.

I saw your thread about that. Man that sucks. I hope AAA pays for everything. Definitely do the KC while the bumper is off if you have the money.

A killer chiller actually doesn't cost that much more than a trunk mounted intercooler tank(after buying hose, fittings etc). Yes a trunk mounted tank moves weight to the back, but the killer chiller is much more effective at cooling. The killer chiller with tank under the hood still has to combat engine bay heat, but the fluid will still be ice cold compared to a trunk mounted tank with no killer chiller. Doing both would be best.

keith89

Established Member
anyone have trouble priming their chiseled tank with the Rule 1100 pump? Does the tank need to be completely full or at least over the return port to prime properly?
I have the tank about 3/4 full because i want to be able to confirm that system is primed when the water starts splashing out of the return port.

Last edited:

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
:)

tank1.jpg

mgmustang1

Established Member
If anyone is interested, im selling my i/c res from chiseled performance i bought in the beginning of the year but decided not to use it. its a show car not a race car. if anyone is interested, im selling it for 270 shipped. it mounts in the trunk where the spare tire would be. it has the internal pump. pm me if interested before i post it in the for sale area.

th_100_1858.gif

th_100_1859.gif

th_100_1860.gif

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
can anyone with the 17x17x5 or 14x14x5 chiseled tank with in-tank pump comment on their flow rates with the tank in the trunk or post a video? I'm getting a very low volume trickle on the return port. I tested it with the fluid level filled to just below the return port so i can verify that the system is flowing. It just seems to be flowing extremely slow. I checked for any pinched hose or kinks in the system. I'm using 3/4 inch hose. I'm considering running the stock or meziere pump inline at the stock location to help it along.

When i had the stock pump/tank setup it flowed like a garden hose.

Users who are viewing this thread