Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

dew.man

Established Member
Have you tried adjusting your clutch?

Mine was like that (one of the reasons the previous owner decided to get rid of it), but once I got my clutch engaging half way up instead of off the floor, the problem went away, and now it's butter :banana:

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
dew.man said:
Have you tried adjusting your clutch?

Mine was like that (one of the reasons the previous owner decided to get rid of it), but once I got my clutch engaging half way up instead of off the floor, the problem went away, and now it's butter :banana:
Ive been adjusting it so much that I am all most positive it's not that. Any other ideas?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Smokin03svt said:
Ive been adjusting it so much that I am all most positive it's not that. Any other ideas?

do you have an LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit ??
this return spring keeps my TOB away from the pressure plate and I love it

proper adjustment necessitates removal of inspection cover to verify sufficient slack......you need to allow the bearing to clear the PP fingers when the pedal is at rest

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
^ I know that spring is intended for aftermarket quadrants, but would it still work on the factory setup as a TOB silencer?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
todd4566 said:
^ I know that spring is intended for aftermarket quadrants, but would it still work on the factory setup as a TOB silencer?

it is designed to be used on a cable that has slack in it.

I've had a firewall adjuster since the very beginning so I've forgotten what the stock setup is even like

I couldn't tell you for sure if it would have any effect

EVO1313

AFTER READING AND TALKING TO A FEW OF YOU I WAS SURE THAT MY RETAINER TUBE WAS SCREWED UP DUE TO THE NOISE AND IRRATIC SHIFTING ABILITY.
I WAS TOLD THAT THE STOCK ONE WAS ALUMINUM AND THAT IF I WAS GOING INTO THE TRANS TO BUY A STEEL ONE. I DID.
COME TO FIND OUT THE RETAINER TUBE WAS BROKEN AND FROM THE FACTORY WAS STEEL. MY CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY SO THEY REPLACED THE TRANSMISION HOUSING AS WELL AS THE RETAINER TUBE (THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET THE TUBE FROM FORD:shrug: ) TOB AND CLUTCH.
THE PROBLEM IS ITS STILL VERY HARD TO GET INTO 1ST AND REV.:cuss:
ANY SUGGESTIONS - BENT SHIFT FORKS? -TRANNY GEARS? WHAT?

2003SVTSnake

You can buy happiness!
Established Member
I have a centerforce, steeda adjust/quad, and I had my TOB replaced on warranty by Ford at 30,000 something, but now @ 46,000, its going out like there is no tomorrow. I hope my retainer isn't cracked. Any ideas?

10thSVT

SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a Centerforce dual friction and a new flywheel with a TOB and it has been fine for about 4 months now it is starting to squeal when I left of on the clutch it stops when I engauge the clutch...:shrug:

jbrown6

My first TOB started making noise at 9000 miles. Ford has a TSB on this issue and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, TOB, pilot bearing, and flywheel according to the TSB. The bearing retainer was cracked so Ford replaced the front case and the bearing retainer on the trans. Ford list one part number for the front case & bearing retainer. This was all covered under 3/36 warranty. My second TOB started making noise at 25,000 miles. No help from Ford with warranty coverage this time. I went with a Spec Stage II Kit and Flywheel, Steel bearing retainer, Fiore Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster, and a Free play correction kit. I am very easy on the clutch and have put as much as 400,000 miles on OEM clutches in the past. A design flaw in my opinion.

Wintermute

Banned
jbrown6 said:
I went with a Spec Stage II Kit and Flywheel, Steel bearing retainer, Fiore Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster, and a Free play correction kit. I am very easy on the clutch and have put as much as 400,000 miles on OEM clutches in the past. A design flaw in my opinion.

What was your total cost on this ? Are you fixed now ?

03CobraBro

Established Member
If we ever figure this damn thing out it sure as hell better be a sticky in the driveline thread in the terminator section...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
03CobraBro said:
If we ever figure this damn thing out it sure as hell better be a sticky in the driveline thread in the terminator section...

I've said this before but I'll say it again:

MANY noisy TOB's are nothing more than a clutch cable that's too tight (and lack of a return spring, which is easily remedied with the LDC kit)

if the bearing isn't spinning when pedal is at rest, it is silent

you just have to make sure that you are still getting complete disengagment with pedal depressed....and you might have to adjust your shifting style

Last edited:

BostonStrangler

B. A. M. F.
Established Member
Tweaker said:
There appears to be an issue with the '03 and perhaps '04 Cobra's TOBs squealing/noise. Also if the bearings are not replaced quickly it may damage the transmission sleeve/snout. According to Ford this will require a transmission replacement.

How many folks are having problems with their TOBs?

My TOB went. They fixed it. 2 weeks later my 3rd and 4th gear went. 5 weeks in the shop and a nasty letter to the GM of the dealer i got it back. they only replaced the gears and sycros. total bullshit. they only fix whats broken, they told me they will not replace the whole trans. replacing the whole trans would have been smarter, faster and more cost effective. They had my trans in and out of the car like 5 times and took it apart 4 times. what a waste.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I've run the TOB that came with my SPEC for the last 13,000 miles

when I had the trans out last Winter there was no wear on the guide tube

I didn't expect to see any as it's kinda difficult for a plastic collar to wear into a steel retainer

Last edited:

BostonStrangler

B. A. M. F.
Established Member
onebadmf said:
Question guys,

Has anyone had problems getting this replaced under warranty with an aftermarket quadrant / firewall adjuster?

they did mine under warranty no problem. even got a 06 explorer as a rental to beat on for the day.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread