Tires on high hp DD

Troponin

Established Member
i have been trying to do a lot of research on tires but it seems like the more I learn, the more difficult the choice becomes. For instance, a lot of sources will only tires with a wear rating of 200-240 and won't consider anything else. I didn't realize that until I had already read about 6 reviews. (This has to do with certain racing regulations, which is why you don't see cars like Ferrari using the stickiest tires on the market. That being said, I now realize these reviews are crap and you can't just look at a supercar and use what they're using.

Anyway, I am looking to find some tires for my Hellcat when it's time to upgrade. It's my DD, so want to stay away from DRs. What is the next best thing to a DR for cars putting 600whp+? Want to make sure I'm not screwed when it rains, but not spin in to oblivion either.

Troponin

Established Member
Can't find the edit button, nor can I find any way out of this crappy mobile version

I also don't want to tire that only last 6 to 8000 miles

Jon82387

Established Member
Hmmmmmm being you say its a DD and want good traction thats gonna be very tough to find.....

All the higher end cars from factory are using the pilot super sports..... thats probably about as good as your going to get for dd duty.....

I run nitto 555rs on my lightning.... decent traction and they are ok in the rain. Last maybe 10k miles if lucky though.

I dont think your going to find much compromise for a 700hp car and dd duty....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya man you cant have the best of both worlds. Either its gonna hook good or last and be ok in the rain. Maybe the R888 would be ok for you. Seems like they are the best aside from stepping up to a DR.

Troponin

Established Member
Hmmmmmm being you say its a DD and want good traction thats gonna be very tough to find.....

All the higher end cars from factory are using the pilot super sports..... thats probably about as good as your going to get for dd duty.....

I run nitto 555rs on my lightning.... decent traction and they are ok in the rain. Last maybe 10k miles if lucky though.

I dont think your going to find much compromise for a 700hp car and dd duty....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The PSS tires have come up in my research many times and seem like the best wet/dry tires for sure. I wish I had a chance to test a few of these tires before I bought them. Planning on going to 305s, an upgrade over the factory 275s, which should make some difference, just not sure if it's enough

I had 555Rs on my Mustang and wasn't terribly impressed.

What about the NT01s or NT05s? Do they have better wear than the 555Rs?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The PSS tires have come up in my research many times and seem like the best wet/dry tires for sure. I wish I had a chance to test a few of these tires before I bought them. Planning on going to 305s, an upgrade over the factory 275s, which should make some difference, just not sure if it's enough

Unfortunately, its the price of admission for big power cars.

Your best option at this point would be 555Rs not the stickiest DR but it has the most longevity and not terrible in the rain (if you dont drive like a morron).

NT01s / NT05s are garbage. If you are going to go with a non DR, MPSS all the way, jack of ALL trades.

Did you get rid of the Camaro?

The idea of having to buy $350 tires every 6-8k miles isn't terribly appealing :/

Yes, sorely missed. Camaro was a blast.

Intervention302

Established Member
The best tire on the market, for what youre looking for at least, is definitely the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Comes standard on many high performance cars, notably all the new performance Ford's.

I personally have a set on my own DD, a Focus ST. While definitely not a Hellcat, she can definitely spin some one tire fire. I've taken it to autocross and generally drive it aggressively. I expect 25k(20-22k already) miles out of this set

Like anywhthing else though... Its a compromise. Dont expect phenomenal grip at your power level.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The best tire on the market, for what youre looking for at least, is definitely the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Comes standard on many high performance cars, notably all the new performance Ford's.

I personally have a set on my own DD, a Focus ST. While definitely not a Hellcat, she can definitely spin some one tire fire. I've taken it to autocross and generally drive it aggressively. I expect 25k(20-22k already) miles out of this set

Like anywhthing else though... Its a compromise. Dont expect phenomenal grip at your power level.

this. there's a reason so many high performance cars are coming with them stock now. they have excellent grip, great longevity for a hipo tire, are quiet, etc... just all around top of the line tire. i have almost 600rwhp and i have to work to break mine loose. now if you mod your hellcat then you will likely be above 700 to the rear wheels and the only thing that will help will be a serious DR like an MT or the R888. neither of which are going to give you many miles.

for your purposes i would only recommend MPSS. if you need to DD it and need the tires to last, dont mod the car or you'll put yourself in DR territory. OR, you'll just have to drive easier.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I have a Hellcat Challenger. I am absolutely putting the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in a 305 on my SRT, after the winter that is. They work great on high HP cars. I ditched the F1 Supercars on the GT500 for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

With these cars, you can spin the wheels all day, regardless of what tires you have. You have to modulate that go-pedal a little too. LOL

I am getting a second set of wheels too. I am going to move the All Season tires to the aftermarket wheels and put the Michelins on the factory wheels. That way, I can drive the car year round. I plan on doing that for all 3 cars.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Hellcat Challenger. I am absolutely putting the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in a 305 on my SRT, after the winter that is. They work great on high HP cars. I ditched the F1 Supercars on the GT500 for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

With these cars, you can spin the wheels all day, regardless of what tires you have. You have to modulate that go-pedal a little too. LOL

I am getting a second set of wheels too. I am going to move the All Season tires to the aftermarket wheels and put the Michelins on the factory wheels. That way, I can drive the car year round. I plan on doing that for all 3 cars.

How well are the MPSS hooking on the 500? Is it holding 2nd gear at full throttle without breaking any traction? What sizes did you go with front and back? Lets see some pics.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I went with a 275/40 up front and a 305/30 in the back. It hasn't been warm enough for me to WOT in 1st or 2nd. It has been 55 degrees or colder since they have been installed. I can only say... same day as the tire swap... way more noticeable traction. I mean like... tram-lining type improvement in traction.

No pictures with the new shoes just yet. When the weather gets better I'll pull it out of the garage and get some pics. They are super close to rubbing in the back. I have to keep an eye on them once I start driving it in the Spring. Once I start hitting bumps, it might show to be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
My first tires were the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in 275/40R 18 all around.
I got over 15,000 miles out of them by rotating them frequently.
I was putting down 543 RWHP.
Once I swapped to the 2012 SVTPP wheels which run 19" fronts and 20" rears I ran the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front. They are less expensive than the PS2 and supposedly more durable.
I didn't get better milage out of them but that's because I couldn't rotate them.

There is no full tread depth street tire that can hold full throttle in 2nd gear at that power level. Maybe something like the Pilot Sport Cup tire but that's a reduced tread depth racing tire.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Due to the instantaneous power and torque delivered by hellcats, the only tires we recommend that will control the car fairly well are MT ET Street Rs, they WILL blow any other tires off, constantly. Just don't drive like an idiot in the rain. They will destroy MPSS, and R888s, don't bother.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I went with a 275/40 up front and a 305/30 in the back. It hasn't been warm enough for me to WOT in 1st or 2nd. It has been 55 degrees or colder since they have been installed. I can only say... same day as the tire swap... way more noticeable traction. I mean like... tram-lining type improvement in traction.

No pictures with the new shoes just yet. When the weather gets better I'll pull it out of the garage and get some pics. They are super close to rubbing in the back. I have to keep an eye on them once I start driving it in the Spring. Once I start hitting bumps, it might show to be a bad idea.

Your rear tires are 1.46" shorter than the front tires?

How does that effect the ride and how does it look?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

The problem with the MPSS 305's is that they only come in 30 sidewall.

That is going to be significantly shorter than your front 275/40/20's.

Wouldn't it be better choice to go with the 295/35/20 MPSS and since they run wide, the 295's will fit real nice on your 9.5" wide OEM wheels.

cGVncDB.jpg

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I think it's a no brainier for your demands. MPSS. If you can manage a 555r that's your closest choice. That's what is going on my cobra in the spring. It's not a daily but I wanted some life not just stick from a dig. I was told 15k out of them with not many burn outs. That's likely the tire I'd use for a daily if my coyote was supercharged.

Users who are viewing this thread