To many miles?

david3707

Established Member
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 03 cobra but it has 61k on it is that to many miles? I'm just kinda curious to how many miles is to many miles?
Thanks,Dave

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
I wouldn't say that's "too many". More important is...how well has it been maintained and treated, etc.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I hate to say it but high miles are just going to become more and more common on these cars. They are getting old, thats all there is to it and now im finding more of the low mileage ones come with more issues from not being driven. I let mine sit for 9 months at a shop getting a crapload of stuff installed while i was out of town for work and once i got back i had to replace hub assemblies that went bad from the car just sitting in one spot.

Either way, never hurts to do a little homework on the seller and car. a beaten car will be beat no matter if it had 100k or 1k

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
i hate to say it but high miles are just going to become more and more common on these cars. They are getting old, thats all there is to it and now im finding more of the low mileage ones come with more issues from not being driven. I let mine sit for 9 months at a shop getting a crapload of stuff installed while i was out of town for work and once i got back i had to replace hub assemblies that went bad from the car just sitting in one spot.

Either way, never hurts to do a little homework on the seller and car. A beaten car will be beat no matter if it had 100k or 1k

+1

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
there is a member on here with over 250k miles on his terminator..60k isnt shit. as long as it was cared for (as mentioned above) it should be fine.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, 60K miles isn't bad at all. There are alot of Terminator owners in general use it as their DD. Average for an 03 should be around 100K miles, so 60K is way under. Also i've heard the same on super low mileage cobra's having issues.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i bought mine with 60,200 .. very well taken care of, completely stock and never seen the track ... ive put another 3k on it in the last year ... runs great

now a whipple is bolted on:banana:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I hate to say it but high miles are just going to become more and more common on these cars. They are getting old, thats all there is to it and now im finding more of the low mileage ones come with more issues from not being driven. I let mine sit for 9 months at a shop getting a crapload of stuff installed while i was out of town for work and once i got back i had to replace hub assemblies that went bad from the car just sitting in one spot.

Either way, never hurts to do a little homework on the seller and car. a beaten car will be beat no matter if it had 100k or 1k

GREAT advice!!!

For these cars I think high mileage is like 80-90k

ahhhhhhhhh SH*T :rolling:, I fall into this catigory.....82k and still ticking :rockon:

ContagiousB

Banned
If all you can afford is to pick one up with 50k-75k miles on it thats fine. Just look for the one that has no mods and is in good shape. The most important rule for me would have to be NO PULLEY! The higher the boost the more stress on the block, heads, pistons, etc... Heres a list to make it simpler.

1) No mods (completely stock)
2) How many owners + who is the current owner? (old, grey hair, wheels an oxygen tank around?)
3) Known problems both exterior + interior (better if none)
4) Tire tread (are the 2 rears completely bald?)
5) Well documented (does it have all the oil changes, check ups, replacement stuff, or does it have Big Carl wrappers crumbled up in the back?)
6) Do your research! (the Cobras did have some known problems like ticking and clogged cats)
7) BUY! (port eaton, pulley, drag radials, suspension, and never lose a race!) :dancenana:

Last edited:

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
60K+ DD here. Aside from some paints chips in the hood & front bumper it's pretty clean, engine included. As said above, how it's treated before you get and then the choices you make as far as maintining make a big difference :burnout:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Consider that the 2003 Cobra is going on 7 years. Driving 10K miles a year on average equals 70K. Of course I am assuming that the average Terminator owner drives it less than they would most other non-muscle passenger cars. IMO 50K miles isn't bad at all for 7 years old vehicle. The Terminator motor is very stout. As mentioned above, I'd be more concerned about how the car was driven over those miles and how well it was maintained.

If you can afford to spend more money, and if you're patient, you can find lower mileage Terminators for sale. Within the last couple of months I saw one sell which only had 8K miles on it. Not common, but they do show up. You can certainly spend less money on a higher mileage Terminator. And lastly, if you're going to put a lot of miles on the car each year (say 15K+) you probably want a lower mileage car to start with. But your budget plays in here of course.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
50,000 miles here...put about 10,000 a year on it...
KB on the motor, love it...

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
average I would agree around 50-60k.. alot of these cars have been totaled or converted into drag cars.
My 03 Vert has 10,000 miles on it..

Jroc

Established Member
Just broke 40K the other day. I loved it when it had 13K when I first bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread