? to people who went from coupe to vert...

SpectorV

Established Member
I went from a coupe to a vert stang, after having two hard tops. I personally enjoy it. I dont plan to drag race it and rag it out. I go to car shows and what not so it works good for me. If you dont mind the heat/sun all the time its fine. Do not be one of those people who have a vert (girls usually) and NEVER use it EVER. I use mine nearly every day, if its not raining and its above 60-65 degrees its down.

slickjsmooth

Banned
30 Minutes from the greatest city in the world.
SpectorV said:
I went from a coupe to a vert stang, after having two hard tops. I personally enjoy it. I dont plan to drag race it and rag it out. I go to car shows and what not so it works good for me. If you dont mind the heat/sun all the time its fine. Do not be one of those people who have a vert (girls usually) and NEVER use it EVER. I use mine nearly every day, if its not raining and its above 60-65 degrees its down.

although it isnt a Vert, thought I would share this with you...

my cousin Stan has an 04 Screaming Yellow Coupe and he barely drives it, he got when it was new back in 04, and the thing has like 1000 miles on the odometer...

apache driver

Established Member
v8pwr said:
Did you ever regret, happy, etc...?

I currently own 03 coupe, but I've been thinking about switching to convertible terminator since I'm not a race type of guy, and car is mainly used as weekend cruiser.
Not sure if I'm gonna like vert though.....but I do live in a place where its always sunny and over 75degrees year round.

Just want to hear others' opinion.

Thanks!
Go out and drive a vert and see how you like it. Personally, I think you will be hooked. Most of the performance loss you will see will only be realized at the track. Get yourself a good set of SFC's and all will be good!

Quick Strike

Established Member
I run 11s at the local track and nobody looks at me twice. I always say it runs 13s on the card. I put the top down on the way home, and have the best of both worlds.

v8pwr

Established Member
redfiredroptop said:
I would recommend test driving a convertible with both the top up and down over various roads to get a feel for it.

apache driver said:
Go out and drive a vert and see how you like it. Personally, I think you will be hooked. Most of the performance loss you will see will only be realized at the track. Get yourself a good set of SFC's and all will be good!

I actually test drove cobra vert in the past. My impression of the vert was almost same as my coupe. I know its about 150lb. heavier so I thought I was going to notice some of that, but I didn't.

I didn't drive hard or on the twisty road so not sure how much worse handling is going to be but...one thing I noticed is, its damn hot during the day with top down! I probably won't open the top during the day because I'll get sun-burned. But I'm sure drop top will be nice on late-afternoon or night cruise.

So my debate continues...keep your comment coming!

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm on my 3rd straight 'vert and I don't ever see going back to a coupe. I race a little at the 1/8 mile track since the 1/4 mile won't let me in without a rollbar, but it's all fun. I drive to the track with the top down, race a couple of times, cash in my winnings, put the top back down and cruise to Sonic for and ice cream. All with a hot blonde by my side. For me, there's no other way. Good luck in your decision.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Well some days I regret it. Those are the days when the top is up. LOL

When the top is down on a nice day I'm very happy.

It's just the flex drives me nuts. I've got MM full length subs, MM STB, an X brace/driveshaft loop connecting to the subs, and it's not stiff enough for my liking. In my future is a custom 6pt roll bar and PROBABLY infloors, if they can get them to work with the stock drivers' seat.

If I were to do it all over again I'd probably get a coupe because I like just having subframe connectors to make the car rock solid.

Of course it probably doesn't help that I'm running H&R race springs. It feels pretty damn fast to me too, and will be a little faster in a week when I get my 2.76 upper and dyno tune, then it'll really scream when I get 4.10's. :rockon:

Last edited:

Buddy03Coby

Sideways is the Fun way.
Established Member
I think coupes can look a little more bad ass sometimes. especaly from the back. Light bar and tano cover look good though. I love my drop top. After I lowered it, it limited the body roll the body dose not flex as much. On sunny days there is nothing like it!!! It was much harder for me to find a vert in the color I wanted! Saw plenty of less exspensive coupes.. unless snow or rain or my girl yelling she just did her hair... top down...
one day I want an Orange coupe and keep the vert... some day maybe..

v8pwr

Established Member
Thanks for all your replies. As some of you said, I think coupe look more badass. Thats what I think everytime I look at my coupe. However, having an option of dropping the top is really nice too.

I need to make this decision soon...

Anybody ever REGRET going to vert?

tdo

Established Member
I think there are vert people and non-vert people. Just like motorcycle people and non-motorcycle people.

I am a vert/motorcycle person that loves the open air. If you are too, get the vert.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've had 3 different types of cars(top wise) targa top C5 Corvette, ragtop S2000 and the coupe 03 Cobra.. while I loved having the top down on the S2000, I didn't feel like the trade off in stiffness was worth it in going with a ragtop Mustang. The S2000 and Corvette on the other hand, were incredibly stiff even without having the top's, so for me, they were fine..

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
like many others here, i only drive mine on weekends when it's nice out... i can't remember the last time i drove it with the top up! that said, if the top has to be up for some reason, i don't drive it...

mine is squeek and rattle free thanks to MM FLSFC and H&R Race springs. it's very tight - the steering wheel doesn't shake in my hands since the subs were welded in. i came from a bunch of BMW's (a pair of M3's/330Ci) and a twin turbo Audi S4... I KNOW tight cars and i'm satisfied with this convertible as far as NVH issues go! my .02 cents.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Damascus Cobra said:
like many others here, i only drive mine on weekends when it's nice out... i can't remember the last time i drove it with the top up! that said, if the top has to be up for some reason, i don't drive it...

mine is squeek and rattle free thanks to MM FLSFC and H&R Race springs. it's very tight - the steering wheel doesn't shake in my hands since the subs were welded in. i came from a bunch of BMW's (a pair of M3's/330Ci) and a twin turbo Audi S4... I KNOW tight cars and i'm satisfied with this convertible as far as NVH issues go! my .02 cents.

Must be a factory freak then....mine has the same mods plus the MM STB and the steering wheel still shakes in my hands over bumps and there's still cowl shake-though reduced.

Users who are viewing this thread