Too much for a first car?

Fritchard

Established Member
Hello SVT! I have had my license for a year and a half now. I drive a 2004 Buick Park Avenue. I have always been a huge Mustang fan. Like teenage girls who have pictures of their favorite bands on their wall, I have Mustangs... Everywhere. I want to get a Mustang sometime in the future, and don't know where to start. I really want the Terminator because it has such a character to it, like all Mustangs do. I just don't know if it is too much for me, being a young driver. I also don't have the kind of money, but if I could find one cheap, maybe a resto could be a cool project to do with my Father. The only reason I want one so bad now, is they aren't the easiest of the mustangs to find. They aren't rare, but they aren't common. I am thinking that if I save up the money to get to a point that I can make a deal with my dad, I will have already been experienced enough to drive one responsibly. Or, I could go with a GT in the near future, and sell it for a Cobra later. Ever since I saw this post a while back I couldn't liking this machine. Thanks everyone!

Edit: Here is the link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rch-Red-Cobra-Coupe-Turbo-800-RWHP-Immaculate

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
My first car was a 4 cylinder s10. Then I got a 2000 mustang gt. Lucky for me I didn't get anything faster. I made some dumb decisions, but everything turned out alright. The thing I regret was dumping a TON of money in that thing to go faster. I wish I would have just saved my money and bought a better car down the line. Learn from that mistake! Also my first motorcycle, at 27, was a 05 kawi zx10. Many many people say don't start on a liter bike, I did, and I turned out fine. The point of this....... It's all self control.

djhtech

Established Member
Hello and welcome. The Terminator was my dream car when I was young as well, thankfully it wasn't my first.

My first vehicle was a 92' eclipse with a 4" x 3" hole in the engine block with 80k miles. Paid $200 for it. I learned ALOT about vehicles with this car. Replaced engine, transmission, exhaust, ECU, re-painted it myself, etc etc.
2nd, 94' Ford Explorer 4x4, purchased with bad transmission, replaced.
3rd, 01' Mustang GT -- fully built.
4th, 07' Altima -- show car.
5th, 08' CBR600RR and 08' 350z -- speed duo
6th, 09' RAM and 05' Titan -- purchased a house, needed a trucks for remodeling
7th, 09' RAM, 14' Optima, and 03' Cobra - house is now fully remodeled. Truck is business, Optima is wife's, and Cobra is toy.

IMO, build yourself up to this vehicle. Get the GT and learn about vehicles, Ford, and Mustangs in general.

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I, too, would recommend a GT. It's more forgiving. My wife has been driving a GT since her senior year of high school and has never had an issue. Enough power to have some fun but not enough to go out of control for no reason.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hello SVT! I have had my license for a year and a half now. I drive a 2004 Buick Park Avenue. I have always been a huge Mustang fan. Like any teenage girl who has pictures of their favorite bands on their wall, I have Mustangs... Everywhere. I want to get a Mustang sometime in the future, and don't know where to start. I really want the Terminator because it has such a character to it, like all Mustangs do. I just don't know if it is too much for me, being a young driver. I also don't have the kind of money, but if I could find one cheap, maybe a resto could be a cool project to do with my Father. The only reason I want one so bad now, is they aren't the easiest of the mustangs to find. They aren't rare, but they aren't common. I am thinking that if I save up the money to get to a point that I can make a deal with my dad, I will have already been experienced enough to drive one responsibly. Or, I could go with a GT in the near future, and sell it for a Cobra later. Ever since I saw this post a while back I couldn't liking this machine. Thanks everyone!

im assuming your a younger lady..

cobra would be fine..yes it has alot of power but only when you ask for it

This car is rare and will be more rare as time goes by

these are now getting hard to find parts to keep running and expect it to get harder

so keep that in mind along with costly repairs..

a head issue now could be 2grand for just the 1 head than labor..

There seems to be alot of garage queens out there so finding a low mileage car should be easy..

and yes 20grand is worth it.

I suggest you go drive 1

also cobra is not a winter car..

SlowSVT

Established Member
The fact your asking this question regarding the wisdom of a young inexperienced driver buying a Terminator is a good sign of maturity. Most young turks with visions of glory and a wad of cash will blindly run out and buy one then proceed to destroy the car making bad decisions and not having the funds, resources and experience to properly maintain this car.

My recommendation is to hold off on a Terminator and like others said, get a GT Mustang with a stick. They are a blast to drive, make that pissed-off Mustang exhaust note with just a cat back, parts are plentiful, inexpensive and relatively easy to work on. Chances are this will be your DD and a Terminator is a rare car that should be garaged at all times and only driven on dry roads and goes into hibernation during the winter. It's bad when someone with limited resources has just enough money to buy one but is dead broke after the purchase then starts to jury rig the car to keep it going. The car will quickly descend into a sad state and another Terminator get ruined ends up on cinder blocks getting parted out.

A GT Mustang with a 5 speed will be a great choice for gaining experience owning your first Mustang. Best to seek our advice when looking at a used one there are a lot of smart people on this site who will help you avoid making mistakes.

Good luck

djhtech

Established Member
The fact your asking this question regarding the wisdom of a young inexperienced driver buying a Terminator is a good sign of maturity. Most young turks with visions of glory and a wad of cash will blindly run out and buy one then proceed to destroy the car making bad decisions and not having the funds, resources and experience to properly maintain this car.

I couldn't agree with this more. OP, you made a very intelligent decision coming here first to seek guidance.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It just all depends.

I was driving 100mph go carts at 14.

Some people can't drive a Cobra at 40 years old.

All depends on your maturity and the respect you have for the car.

djhtech

Established Member
It just all depends.

I was driving 100mph go carts at 14.

Some people can't drive a Cobra at 40 years old.

All depends on your maturity and the respect you have for the car.

I was too driving go-karts and dirt bikes but they were off-road. Traffic adds a different dimension which requires common sense, maneuvering, and fast decision making. Then, throw in the elements -- Rain and Snow.

.. and yes, today most people cannot drive, regardless of age or vehicle, period.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was too driving go-karts and dirt bikes but they were off-road. Traffic adds a different dimension which requires common sense, maneuvering, and fast decision making. Then, throw in the elements -- Rain and Snow.

.. and yes, today most people cannot drive, regardless of age or vehicle, period.
Anyways

It depends on the person OP.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Anyways

It depends on the person OP.

Does the teenager have the resources to maintain the car? not likely

Does the teenager have a garage? not likely

Does the teenager have a DD so he's not forced to drive the Terminator in bad weather?" not likely

Does the teenager have the experience to repair the car? not likely

Can the teenager afford to insure both a DD and a Terminator? not likely (he'd be lucky if he can afford to insure the Terminator alone)

Will the teenagers wages revolve around maintaining the Terminator? very likely

Does the teenager have the driving experience to safely drive a Terminator? not likely

Will the teenage rack-up copious number of traffic citations driving a Terminator? very likely

Does the teenage have lots of tools to maintain the car? not likely

Can the teenager afford to replace expensive tires on a regular basis? not likely

Will the teenage be constantly get pulled over by police? very likely

Will the teenager regret buying this car with all the responsibility and trouble that comes with it before he was ready for it? very likely

You are correct. It depends on "the person" and a teenage ain't one of them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does the teenager have the resources to maintain the car? not likely

Does the teenager have a garage? not likely

Does the teenager have a DD so he's not forced to drive the Terminator in bad weather?" not likely

Does the teenager have the experience to repair the car? not likely

Can the teenager afford to insure both a DD and a Terminator? not likely (he'd be lucky if he can afford to insure the Terminator alone)

Will the teenagers wages revolve around maintaining the Terminator? very likely

Does the teenager have the driving experience to safely drive a Terminator? not likely

Will the teenage rack-up copious number of traffic citations driving a Terminator? very likely

Does the teenage have lots of tools to maintain the car? not likely

Can the teenager afford to replace expensive tires on a regular basis? not likely

Will the teenage be constantly get pulled over by police? very likely

Will the teenager regret buying this car with all the responsibility and trouble that comes with it before he was ready for it? very likely

You are correct. It depends on "the person" and a teenage ain't one of them.
You're stereotyping, and assuming a lot.

dbrennancobra

Established Member
^^ thats funny. Get a nice low mileage GT and be done with it... find some performance parts on Craigslist and have fun with it. save for a terminator after or during college. Have fun!

cj428mach

Established Member
I say go for a gt and get use to it first, terminators make a ton of torque which is where you can get in trouble quickly.

If you know you are going to eventually upgrade to a cobra don't dump money in mods on the starter car cause you'll never get it back.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Personally, I'd start off with a '99 or '01 Cobra, or possibly an '03 or '04 Mach 1. Great entry level Mustang in the New Edge style, and both 4V motor cars like the Terminator, so wrenching on them will give you some hands on time.

Just my .02

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Buy the car.I say that getting a girl pregnant will be more detrimental to your finances than the Cobra.
Buy rubbers and the car will be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread