TPMS

Willie

Established Member
Can this monitoring system's parameters be modified? In other words, can it be configured to trigger at user commanded pressures for each tire? Or even disabled completely???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't answer the first part of your question, but it is my understanding that you cannot legally disable the TPMS by federal law. Here is an interesting article that explains 4 scenarios related to disabling the TPMS. It also illustrates the complex effects of federal laws regarding modifications to vehicles, and how confusing and silly the legal requirements can be.

Dealing With the Legalities of TPMS: ‘Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse’

We have at least one tire sponsor here on SVTP that you might want to check with on your questions.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would see what Forscan can can offer, I remember some discussions but cannot recall the outcome

edit: I would be very surprised if you could set a pressure for each tire. I’d imagine you may be able to lower it for all of them

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
I have a faulty sensor that triggers the system after driving about 15 miles. I also have a slow leak and I'm suspecting (hoping) it's the same wheel. All this got me thinking.

I have Nitto NT05R drag radials on the rear and normally run 30 psig in them, same as the fronts, but I "sometimes" lower the pressure in the rear. It would be nice if the sensor trigger point could be lowered for the rear tires at those times. And if not, just disable them...

Willie

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have a faulty sensor that triggers the system after driving about 15 miles. I also have a slow leak and I'm suspecting (hoping) it's the same wheel. All this got me thinking.

I have Nitto NT05R drag radials on the rear and normally run 30 psig in them, same as the fronts, but I "sometimes" lower the pressure in the rear. It would be nice if the sensor trigger point could be lowered for the rear tires at those times. And if not, just disable them...

Willie

Not sure the early generation had that ability with the system and sensors they used. I believe the 2010 and up change the system and sensors which allowed them to read each tire individually.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I can't answer the first part of your question, but it is my understanding that you cannot legally disable the TPMS by federal law. Here is an interesting article that explains 4 scenarios related to disabling the TPMS. It also illustrates the complex effects of federal laws regarding modifications to vehicles, and how confusing and silly the legal requirements can be.

Dealing With the Legalities of TPMS: ‘Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse’

We have at least one tire sponsor here on SVTP that you might want to check with on your questions.

.... we are on a forum with heavily modded cars

of ALL things.. we don’t give a flying **** about TPMS

SCALILOU

Established Member
I have heard of some guys making a tube that holds the TPMS sensors, and is kept at the proper PSI. They put the tube somewhere in the rear spare tire area. They do this so they can switch back between drag wheels and daily driving wheels. YouTube TPMS bomb and you'll find plenty of vids on it.

I have also seen vids on a small battery operated box that disables TPMS without doing anything else. Con is you have to replace the battery every so often. Pro is I guess it works according to the vids on YouTube. The guy in the vid stated it was shipped from Germany so who knows. I'm sure an engineer extraordinare like Willie could find a way to hard wire that box in somehow.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I'd be interested in anyone that has done the FORSCAN method, and could provide step by step directions. There is just too much "good" and bad information on how to do it, and it's hard to sort it out. I am looking to ditch mine, and just run a good metal stem.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
On my '08 I used to have a 1/2" piece of electric tape blocking the low psi icon. I only use my car for weekend romps & shows. So now, I simply ignore the TPMS light with 32psi up front and 21 psi in the Sticky Mickeys.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I could almost deal with it if it was just a warning light. However it's the chiming and constant reminding every 15 minutes that would drive me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread