TR6 Plug Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan5469

Established Member
I installed TR6 plugs this past week with a gap of .032. I know this is a favorite plug for almost everyone on the board so I figured I'd give it a try and I am having a bad misfire under very light throttle to the point where it's annoying to drive unless I'm giving it a good amount of gas then there's no misfire. Is there another plug that anyone recommends instead?

Spoolx

Established Member
I put the Autolite XP-103's in and the car idles PERFECT...
I know everyone recommends the TR6 for a near stock car like I have I think the Iridium plugs are the best.
From the research I have done it seems the TR6 will sacrifice some driveability for performance.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
My car had TR6 plugs in it when I bought it and I've always had a very slight miss at low loads and idle. Runs perfect otherwise. Do these cars need iridium plugs?

Evan5469

Established Member
My car had TR6 plugs in it when I bought it and I've always had a very slight miss at low loads and idle. Runs perfect otherwise. Do these cars need iridium plugs?

That's exactly what I'm getting now as well but it's very annoying to drive now. I'll be pulling them out ASAP.

Rich Gill,
Were the XP-103's in stock when you bought them? Where did you buy them?

Spoolx

Established Member
I bought them from advanced auto parts, napa had them in stock when I called also

metaman

Established Member
The NGK TR7ix will give you optimum idle, low rpm, and performance. Plus the maintenance interval on them is much larger than the regular NGKs

Evan5469

Established Member
UPDATE:

Just replaced the TR6's with Autolite XP-103's that Rich Gill recommended and my car idles and runs 100x's better than with the TR6's. The Autolite's are more pricey because they're iridium's as opposed to copper but they're proving to be well worth it thus far. Thank you very much Rich Gill for your help. :thumbsup:

Spoolx

Established Member
UPDATE:

Just replaced the TR6's with Autolite XP-103's that Rich Gill recommended and my car idles and runs 100x's better than with the TR6's. The Autolite's are more pricey because they're iridium's as opposed to copper but they're proving to be well worth it thus far. Thank you very much Rich Gill for your help. :thumbsup:

Sweet man, glad they worked out for you!

greengt88

Established Member
what gap are you running with those, I have the TR6's #4177 Gapped @ .032 now, has a slight misfire at low rpm, idle is good though, like to try something else though.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
How many heat ranges colder than stock are these?? Gap??

Advance lists the 103's as the stock replacements, so I'd say that they aren't colder than stock. If they make 102's, then that should be one heat range colder. I haven't checked that yet.

SpectorV

Established Member
I have the TR6-IX (Iridium) and I have no issues in mine, runs great. I have never tried copper plugs... but I would use copper for dyno tuning to inspect the porcelain for detonation then when happy put in Iridium (to expensive to swap easily after dyno session)

greengt88

Established Member
since they are not colder than stock are they ok to use?? My TR6's are 2 ranges colder, and that seems to be the rule of thumb for any sort of pulley upgrade.

2003cobraguy

Established Member
my car couldn't idle any better, never had any misses

TR6's here

guess everyones different.

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
My car's been having the same problem. I have the TR6's gapped at .032 and there is a slight miss while idling. I'll be changing them soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread