TR6 Plug Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectorV

Established Member
the 03 cobras have like 3 plugs from the factory that you c ould have gotten~ some colder than others FYI.

TVSCobra

Established Member
UPDATE:

Just replaced the TR6's with Autolite XP-103's that Rich Gill recommended and my car idles and runs 100x's better than with the TR6's. The Autolite's are more pricey because they're iridium's as opposed to copper but they're proving to be well worth it thus far. Thank you very much Rich Gill for your help. :thumbsup:

Did it only smooth of the idle or could you tell any other difference?

I have the slight miss at idle at times with the TR6, it isn't always there, mostly when it is really hot out. I have tried .032to .038 and no change in the idle smoothness. I'm on my third set of Tr6s in 17000 miles. Not sure what Im going to use next, most likely the TR7ix.

Should I leave the gap alone on the TR7ix? What are the gapped at out of the box?

Thanks

Evan5469

Established Member
Did it only smooth of the idle or could you tell any other difference?

I have the slight miss at idle at times with the TR6, it isn't always there, mostly when it is really hot out. I have tried .032to .038 and no change in the idle smoothness. I'm on my third set of Tr6s in 17000 miles. Not sure what Im going to use next, most likely the TR7ix.

Should I leave the gap alone on the TR7ix? What are the gapped at out of the box?

Thanks

It smoothed out my idle and all the part throttle hesitation I was getting before. It revs and runs much smoother now. I also had the TR6's gapped at .032 and it was awful. With the XP103's I have now I gapped them at .032 as well and it's perfect. Also, I believe NGK gaps their plugs at .040 out of the box, at least that's what all of mine were so you need to close them up a little.

G04cobra

Established Member
It smoothed out my idle and all the part throttle hesitation I was getting before. It revs and runs much smoother now. I also had the TR6's gapped at .032 and it was awful. With the XP103's I have now I gapped them at .032 as well and it's perfect. Also, I believe NGK gaps their plugs at .040 out of the box, at least that's what all of mine were so you need to close them up a little.

Do you feel a difference in power??

TVSCobra

Established Member
Im not comfortable using a stock heat range plug, so if the Autolite 103s are then I'm going to try out the NGK TR7ixs next.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i've run a 2.76 upper only with the tr7ix for the past 16,000 miles. 8000 on each set. they are 2 ranges colder than stock. car has run/idled as good at 8000 as it did from mile 1. I just like to change them once a yr

Evan5469

Established Member
Do you feel a difference in power??
I'm not sure if I gained any power from the switch but the difference in driveability makes the car feel much better. So any power I might've gained was probably just in the driveability.

like to try these but worried they will be to hot.....u other guys running upper pulleys??
I have a 2.8 upper pulley, stock lower and an unported blower.

Im not comfortable using a stock heat range plug, so if the Autolite 103s are then I'm going to try out the NGK TR7ixs next.
Autozone's website lists the 103's as direct replacements for our cars so I'm assuming they are the stock heat range.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Sorry to steal a bit of your thread here but I run a 2.76 upper with a stage 4 steggy port, what plugs should I be running? I'm not sure what is in there now, I will have to check. Dyno tune coming next week after I get my idler put on so I want to make sure all the small things are done and in order.
Car seems to run fine as far as I can tell.

greengt88

Established Member
Anyone running the Brisk LGS14 ?? MM&FF did an instaall article using them awhile back....guess they have silver electrodes instead of iridium....they picked up a few horsepower and ft. Lbs. They always do though. They are rather expensive though...otherwise is the TR7ix part #3690?

03mgtermi

Established Member
I'm using NGK TR6 V-power. (the cheap ones) and they are gapped to .040 straight out of the box and thats how i left them. absolutely no problems here.

04nccobra

Established Member
You folks having issues with the TR6's I am curious as to how the car is acting, is it bucking at low rpms? I just installed a set of these and the car idles beautiful but seems to buck (like it wants more throttle) in the 2000-2500 rpm range.

TVSCobra

Established Member
You folks having issues with the TR6's I am curious as to how the car is acting, is it bucking at low rpms? I just installed a set of these and the car idles beautiful but seems to buck (like it wants more throttle) in the 2000-2500 rpm range.

Most have issues with idle smoothness, part throttle response and occasional popping through the exhaust at idle and on decel. I only have a slight issue at idle sometimes with these plugs. I never had an issue with the stock plugs. I also ran my setup with stock plugs when I first did the pulley and then few days later I put the TR6s in there, then noticed the problem.

Spoolx

Established Member
Sounds crazy that so many have problems yet people still keep suggesting these plugs.. imo there has to be an alternative that will make power and still keep driveability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread