TR6 Plug Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengt88

Established Member
k, just recieved my TR7ix's from lethal today, i'm a little worried that they might be too cold for the mods in my sig. I'm thinking of returning them maybe and getting the brisk plugs they sell instead.....any thoughts on this??

jdgt03

Established Member
I installed the Tr6's in my cobra when i bought it, and as long as your moving its ok, but it idles like shit esp when hot, the whole car shakes like it has some big cams in it, im going tr6ix's this week i hope. So are 6's 2 steps colder? Isnt NGK backwards, up a number is colder and down is hotter?

TVSCobra

Established Member
k, just recieved my TR7ix's from lethal today, i'm a little worried that they might be too cold for the mods in my sig. I'm thinking of returning them maybe and getting the brisk plugs they sell instead.....any thoughts on this??

You have a PM

greengt88

Established Member
^ already sent them back to lethal for exchange, thanks though, gonna try the tr6ix's, if they suck too gonna try the brisk plugs, but they are mega expensive.....I feel that the 7m's are gonna be too cold for me til I go TS or get a port and some juice.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the TR6's too and I have a slight hesitation at part throttle as well and it gets annoying. My tuner said to maybe open the gap on the plugs a bit. Right now there at .032.

I would like a better alternative and will pay more money for a better plug if the drivability improves.

greengt88

Established Member
I'll let you know what I think of the iridiums hoping to do it Sunday, finally get a day off, been coling down too alittle, too hot during the day to motivate me to do it! If they suck too I'm gonna spend the big $$ and try the brisks

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I have had two sets of TR6's in my car. First set had a slight miss at idle and once in a while a pop. Gapped them at .032. Second set has the idle miss and also a part throttle buck along with the pop. I am going to the TR7ix when I get home from here. I'm running a stg 4 port and 2.76 pulley.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I ordered a set or TR6's and never had anything but problems out of them. It missed and had a VERY rough idle the entire time, gapped at .32. I switched to TR7ix's and never had a problem. Good idle and no miss, maybe I just got a bad set of TR6's I dunno but I'll never buy them again. Only problem with the TR7ix is the cost but its worth it IMHO!

Evan5469

Established Member
I ordered a set or TR6's and never had anything but problems out of them. It missed and had a VERY rough idle the entire time, gapped at .32. I switched to TR7ix's and never had a problem. Good idle and no miss, maybe I just got a bad set of TR6's I dunno but I'll never buy them again. Only problem with the TR7ix is the cost but its worth it IMHO!

Judging by this thread, you are not alone with your TR6 issues. Glad to hear that the TR7ix's are working out for you. The Autolie XP-103's are still working flawlessly for me.

Spoolx

Established Member
The best part about this thread is everyone will still recommend TR6's when people ask what spark plug to use.

d-nice

Established Member
So if I have a stock car the TR7ix wouldn't be a good plug for it? I have the tr6 plugs now and I'm looking to get better performing ones.

So TR7ix or the 103s for a stock motor?

And why does the stock gap call for the plugs to be at .054 when everyone says to gap at 33-34?

Last edited:
So if I have a stock car the TR7ix wouldn't be a good plug for it? I have the tr6 plugs now and I'm looking to get better performing ones.

So TR7ix or the 103s for a stock motor?

You'll be fine with the TR6ixs for stock boost. The TR55ixs are the stock heat range. Just keep away from the copper Tr6s so you don't get that annoying stumble. Never liked the copper version myself. The TR6ixs are smooth but I run the TR7ixs myself. You should strive to run as cold a plug as possible to reduce the likelihood of detonation. It won't guarantee that it will never happen because of so many other things which can go wrong but its a good precaution nonetheless.

cobracide

Established Member
There were actually three different plugs used by the factory -

AGSF12FM1 first run stock, recommended, sp471 is equivalent, tr7 equiv, denso IT22
AGSF22FM1 mid run stock, one range hotter than 12's, tr6 equiv, denso IT20
AGSF32FM1 last run stock, two ranges hotter than 12, tr5(5)IX equivalent.

I agree get the TR6IX and gap them at .035, check them out of the box as this might be the stock gap.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I ran the TR6's for 5 years at .035 with zero issues. The last two years, I have run the TR7's at .035 with the same result. It is well documented that when it comes to the NGK plugs and the Terminator, certain 03/04' Cobras have not done well. Have never seen a viable explanation for this, but it's certainly a fact.

Tons of the folks in the MACA have run these plugs and the vast majority have had an excellent experience with them, but there have certainly been a few, like Evan, where the plugs caused poor driveability and/or performance.

greengt88

Established Member
still waiting on lethal, after i sent back the 7's, they sent me tr6's, not the iridium's, i even put a note in the return box, to please exchange them for tr6ix.....ugh!!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So like I stated before, I have the TR6 plugs and my idle is fine, but theres a slight hesitation at lower crusing speeds (20-40mph) and it's quite annoying. Can someone point me into the right direction. I prefer to stay in the same heat range as the tr6's.

I've also never changed the plugs myself on the car. My tuner changed plugs when I switched to a 2.8 upper pulley.

greengt88

Established Member
i haven't changed plugs on my own yet either, steeda did it when they did the pulley on mine too...i'm concerned with heat range as well, i don't see how going colder is going to help burn fuel better and get rid of the miss, i should hopefully be recieveing the tr6ix's from lethal some time this century, don't know how it got so dang messed up?...i got a throttle body gasket since it looks like that needs to come off to get access and i want to clean it anyway, never been done 29k mi. i need a piece of rubber hose to help get the plugs out, also need to get a thin walled 14mm socket, not sure if i need a wobble or universal extension either?? already have di-electric grease and anti-seize. am i missing anything??

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
i haven't changed plugs on my own yet either, steeda did it when they did the pulley on mine too...i'm concerned with heat range as well, i don't see how going colder is going to help burn fuel better and get rid of the miss, i should hopefully be recieveing the tr6ix's from lethal some time this century, don't know how it got so dang messed up?...i got a throttle body gasket since it looks like that needs to come off to get access and i want to clean it anyway, never been done 29k mi. i need a piece of rubber hose to help get the plugs out, also need to get a thin walled 14mm socket, not sure if i need a wobble or universal extension either?? already have di-electric grease and anti-seize. am i missing anything??

Doing a plug change on our cars is very easy, remove the COP cover, pull the COPs out, if you have an air compressor spray out the plugs in-case any debris is down there, remove old plugs and install new plugs. You don't need to remove the throttle body just the intake pipe. The use of anti-seize is an ongoing debate, some say not to use and others swear by it. I myself use a light coat of anti-seize to keep the threads happy. Another thing to check for is if you have 4 or 9 threads...its just something nice to know about your motor. I have 9 do to my heads being replaced do to the "tick". I am trying to find the video "how to" for a spark plug change on the cobra. I will post back when I find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread