TR6 Plug Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

racebronco2

Established Member
As soon as your Intake temps go above 150 the computer starts pulling timing, and the higher it goes the more timing it pulls. The dual pass heat exchanger allows me to run a little extra timing also and stay in the safe zone by helping to keep those intake temps down.

The stock ecu starts pulling timing at 101* ait's and over 200* engine temps. If you car's ait's probably are over 120* just driving on the street therefor it's already pulling close to 2 degrees even with the dual pass h/e.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
So check it on a dyno when you get a chance. I couldn't tell at all while driving but on the dyno I was still getting spark blowout at .032. We lowered to .028 and it smoothed out the graph. When doing so we also noticed it went a tad rich and we leaned it out and picked up 7 RWHP

I just had my car on the dyno yesterday and was experiencing blow out at
.029 @ 18.5 psi with the TR6's. The graph was smooth up to ~5500 rpm, then it started breaking up....getting worse the closer I got to redline. I'm going to try and gap them down to .028" and see what happens. I'm also considering finding an alternative plug to use instead of the TR6....my idle has always been crappy with these plugs.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I've been chasing a huge driveability issue with my Cobra. It misses under light load under 3000rpm. My other 03' ran great with the TR6's. I may try the autolites.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
.029 @ 18.5 psi with the TR6's. The graph was smooth up to ~5500 rpm, then it started breaking up....getting worse the closer I got to redline. I'm going to try and gap them down to .028" and see what happens. I'm also considering finding an alternative plug to use instead of the TR6....my idle has always been crappy with these plugs.

I had been running br7ef's out of box gapped (like .025 ~ .026) and the car had ran/idled great (22psi 2.3 whipple, e85). I tried tr6's gapped at .026 a couple weeks ago. It runs awesome! Idle is no different. It does run about .3 leaner on the wideband versus the br7ef...but still appears safe range. It pulls very clean all the way to redline, no break up. You might try tightening the gap all the way to .026.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
.026 is what my tuner recommended for my TR6's when i got tuned with my old Kenne Bell. Pulled smooth all the way as c6zhombre stated.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
I put TR6IX in my 2.81 pulley car and ran stock .032 gap, car runs fine when driving but the idle is pretty rough. This winter I am going to gap them smaller to see if I can mend that.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Just ordered xp103's from rockauto for 39.95 shipped.

:) If this fixes the issue I'm having I'm dancing a jig.

How many miles are you guys leaving them in for? 20-30k?

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Well, my car is in the "I hate TR6" club.

I threw in the autolites gapped at .030 and the car idles better, drives better, holds RPM with no load and doesn't sound like its missing. (idle-2500 was my problem area).

Took it for a very short drive and feels nice n' strong.

When plugs come due in the Marauder I'll be throwing in these as well. It has always had a very light "stumble"

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
So did you dance a jig? lol

Yes, along with a backflip.

So how much boost/power is okay for these? I don't plan on anything more than maybe a lower pulley in the cars future.

I'm running a 2.76 upper only Posi. Did 497 on the dyno.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
What's part number on the autolites. I'm going to try them before I take into the shop. It has a bad misfire at about 2500 rpms and up and idles like it has cams.

RussZTT

Established Member
Gap depends on cylinder pressure thats why you have blow out. With almost 700rwhp I'd put the gap around .24-.25. Also, I wouldn't be using the 6's but move to the 7's. I'm little over 700rwhp on the 7's with out of the box gap.

Last edited:

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
I crossed referenced the tr6 with autolite and it came up with 103 as the part number.

Terminator17

Established Member
Surprised no talk of the AR103 in here. That's what I changed to from tr6's and like them more. It's autolites racing plugs. Runs colder, no idle issues like tr6 for me.

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I have the tr6 in my 03 cobra an have the low speed mid and surge feeling also. I ordered the tr7ix for mine.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Surprised no talk of the AR103 in here. That's what I changed to from tr6's and like them more. It's autolites racing plugs. Runs colder, no idle issues like tr6 for me.

Why gap are you running on the ar103's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread