Trackey and Tune

svt1111

Established Member
I just had the Trackey installed yesterday. Overall, its decent, really changes the character of the car.

But I want more.

I'd like to put a ghost cam tune in it, along with a regular performance tune.

My concern was: Will putting an aftermarket tune into the PCM remove the Trackey component? I assume the use of either key would access the performance tune, once it is flashed, and the Trackey tune would be overwritten.

Has anyone done this yet?

svt1111

Established Member
I assume the Trackey and stock tune, once stored in the SCT or other flash device, would remain there, and the new tune with the cam tune would then be flashed into the PCM. Thus, retaining the ability to 'reflash' the stock file with Trackey back into the PCM at anytime.

Just want to know if anyone has tried this yet or not?

chuckstang

Established Member
the track key already has the ghost cam idle. you just need to remove the side baffles.

Actually the aftermarket ghost cam tunes just copied the FRPP track key.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
why do you want more? this is a pretty finely tuned/engineered ride. the handling set up is tuned for the load the engineering in place will create. blow up the hp and you immediately start untuning the handling.

why do you want more?

chuckstang

Established Member
why do you want more? this is a pretty finely tuned/engineered ride. the handling set up is tuned for the load the engineering in place will create. blow up the hp and you immediately start untuning the handling.

why do you want more?

I agree.

The boss is an out of the box mustang unlike some mustangs which are like a blank canvas.

The regular GT 5.0 would have been the better way to go if you want to start changing things up :shrug:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I agree.

The boss is an out of the box mustang unlike some mustangs which are like a blank canvas.

The regular GT 5.0 would have been the better way to go if you want to start changing things up :shrug:

why do you want more?

I dunno guys, a few changes really improve the overall performance of these cars. A simple exhaust, cold air intake and tune make it a completely different animal. The other aspects (suspension/braking/traction) of the car easily handle the extra 50whp from bolt-ons. The stock shifter needs to go, and so do the stamped steel lca's. A bone stock Boss also leaves a lot to be desired in the acceleration category, which is easily unleashed with little to no sacrifice (except warranty :lol1:). The Boss is quite possibly one of the best platforms to build from.

They are absolutely wonderful cars in stock form, perfectly balanced, but sooo much more can be enjoyed/improved with some simple changes that wont offset the geometry :beer:.

svt1111

Established Member
I agree.

I don't want to go crazy with this car.

I mostly just want the Ghost Cam idle that the original Trackey was supposed to have before the minority of Bosses sold in California dicatated to the rest of the country that the lopey idle would be watered down. How many Bosses were even sold in CA? 130 maybe? lol! All this fuss over less than 200 cars sold in that tree hugging state?!

I had a regular GT already that I modded. This car is very, very good as it sits. I just expected a little more from a 'tune', especially regarding the lopey idle.

And yes, the baffles were removed from the exhaust within one hour of it sitting in my garage on day one. :rockon: I'm sure it helps the lopey cam sound, as I can't imagine you would even be able to hear it with them in!

beaner

wee-man
Established Member

I mostly just want the Ghost Cam idle that the original Trackey was supposed to have before the minority of Bosses sold in California dicatated to the rest of the country that the lopey idle would be watered down. How many Bosses were even sold in CA? 130 maybe? lol! All this fuss over less than 200 cars sold in that tree hugging state?!

I had a regular GT already that I modded. This car is very, very good as it sits. I just expected a little more from a 'tune', especially regarding the lopey idle.

And yes, the baffles were removed from the exhaust within one hour of it sitting in my garage on day one. :rockon: I'm sure it helps the lopey cam sound, as I can't imagine you would even be able to hear it with them in!

get the aftermarket tune and ghost cam tune. the track key is nothing like a aftermarket tune. and the track key idle tune is a joke. i have no side baffles and i have to tell people its doing it. aftermarket idle tune is much more aggressive sounding. unless you a die hard got to be from ford type go for it.

svt1111

Established Member
get the aftermarket tune and ghost cam tune. the track key is nothing like a aftermarket tune. and the track key idle tune is a joke. i have no side baffles and i have to tell people its doing it. aftermarket idle tune is much more aggressive sounding. unless you a die hard got to be from ford type go for it.

Agreed.

So, is the Trackey retained in your flash device along with the stock, base program?

I have no problem with going to an aftermarket, ghost cam tune, I just want to retain the Trackey program without loosing it for good, so I can flash it back in at some point if I'm so inclined..

Which tune did you go with?

chuckstang

Established Member

wow this is news to me, I had no idea they changed the idle ghost cam sound from what they originally showed way back when. Originally it sounded awsome, any sounds clips of how it really sounds? Is there a lopey sound at all?

908ssp

Established Member
Putting the Boss on some kind of pedestal is just silly.

But putting a loopy idle in the tune and not changing cams is even sillier.

svteezy

Established Member
I have the trackey installed on my Boss #1130. I also have two JMS tunes that I race with, and I have the Johnny Lightning Old School Cam Tune which is the best out there. The SCT tuner will store all the stock info plus the trackey tune with no issue. I have put mine back to stock several times to use the trackey. If you want to go fast call Monty at JMS 1-601-766-9424 he will get you there with ease.If you want wicked bad sound call JLP performance (go to youtube and listen to his boss). I hope this helps you. Do what you want to your Boss You paid for it. This car is the shit stock but it gets really good when start playing with it. Its all about having fun and making yourself happy not sideliners with big opinions.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Putting the Boss on some kind of pedestal is just silly.

But putting a loopy idle in the tune and not changing cams is even sillier.

Almost as silly as Ford hyping the lopey idle just to completely fail on delivery...:poke:

Out-of-the-box cars are for old people and car show queens. I bought this to mod the hell out of it, and enjoy every second.

Grant808

Established Member
I have the trackey installed on my Boss #1130. I also have two JMS tunes that I race with, and I have the Johnny Lightning Old School Cam Tune which is the best out there. The SCT tuner will store all the stock info plus the trackey tune with no issue. I have put mine back to stock several times to use the trackey. If you want to go fast call Monty at JMS 1-601-766-9424 he will get you there with ease.If you want wicked bad sound call JLP performance (go to youtube and listen to his boss). I hope this helps you. Do what you want to your Boss You paid for it. This car is the shit stock but it gets really good when start playing with it. Its all about having fun and making yourself happy not sideliners with big opinions.

:banana::rockon:Glad someone knows! Thanks for posting this. I thought I had to choose between having TracKey OR aftermarket tunes. :beer:

Almost as silly as Ford hyping the lopey idle just to completely fail on delivery...:poke:

Out-of-the-box cars are for old people and car show queens. I bought this to mod the hell out of it, and enjoy every second.

This old person kept his GT to mod...Well I did swap out my exhaust discs and took out the spats so they don't melt on my first track day.

I was so disappointed with the lope from the TracKey tune...at least the 3/4" discs from Scott really help.

svt1111

Established Member

Do you still have the cats in place?

I was under the impression that if you run a cam tune, it will kill the stock cats???

I have cat delete pipes that I was going to put on with the GT500 mufflers I already have, figured the side pipes would sound really nice, but could possibly be really loud and fill the interior with nasty exhaust smell, not sure what to do......

Could I still run the JLP cam tune with the stock cats in place?? That way I could still use the Trackey or stock tune, as without cats it will throw a CEL.

svteezy

Established Member
I still have my cats in place. I haven't had any problems. The side pipes sound real good with the baffles out. I just put some roush axle backs on it and man they sound good. We went to the track last nite and I went 11.79 @ 119 with a 178 60ft. Not bad for a car from the factory with a tune and drag radials. This car is a blast!
My son Stephen has the 86 fox body we put the coyote motor in ran a 11.14 @ 125mph last nite. This car is stupid fast, all he has is headers needed to install the motor and home made cold air intake and Monty tuned it. We are all about having fun!

svt1111

Established Member
I still have my cats in place. I haven't had any problems. The side pipes sound real good with the baffles out. I just put some roush axle backs on it and man they sound good. We went to the track last nite and I went 11.79 @ 119 with a 178 60ft. Not bad for a car from the factory with a tune and drag radials. This car is a blast!
My son Stephen has the 86 fox body we put the coyote motor in ran a 11.14 @ 125mph last nite. This car is stupid fast, all he has is headers needed to install the motor and home made cold air intake and Monty tuned it. We are all about having fun!

Awesome! Those are GREAT times for the mods no doubt!! :beer:

So, does the car stink like rotten eggs ( catalytic smell) when you run the cam tune? How is the driveability with the JLP cam tune? I take it you run the JMS tune all the time?? Were those 1/4 mile times on the regular JMS street tune or was it a race gas tune?

I think you have the exact tuning setup that I may end up going with, especially if I can retain the stock cats for now without worrying about driveability issues with them...

Thanks in advance for addressing my questions :)

Users who are viewing this thread