Truetrac

91z28350

Established Member
This question is directed towards any who have experience with both. So you like the true trac better than the 2012 3.73 in the SVTPP Gt500?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This question is directed towards any who have experience with both. So you like the true trac better than the 2012 3.73 in the SVTPP Gt500?

Other than the gear set, what is different about the positraction unit in the SVTPP vs. the non-SVTPP axle assy.?

I am not up on the SVTPP axle difference(s) other than the gear set change........

R

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

I don't think anyone will notice a difference. They function very similar with similar bias ratios. Both are quiet and strong. The big advantage the Trutrac has is it's considerably cheaper. I've run a Torsen in the past, and it felt and functioned exactly as my Trutrac. Smooth and flawlessly.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I don't think anyone will notice a difference. They function very similar with similar bias ratios. Both are quiet and strong. The big advantage the Trutrac has is it's considerably cheaper. I've run a Torsen in the past, and it felt and functioned exactly as my Trutrac. Smooth and flawlessly.

So in addition to the 3.73's the SVTPP also gets a Torsen? If so, I have not heard negatives about a Torsen.

R

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I am not sure, but I do not believe the 2012's got Torsens. I do believe it is a 31 spline axle and differential.

I thought you could only get a torsen with a 13 shelby or 12 and 13 boss. I thought the 11-12 gt500 only came with the traction lock.

Yes, sorry, I should have specified. It's '12 and '13 Boss (as an option) and Boss LS (standard), and 13 and '14 GT500 PP only.

91z28350

Established Member
Which brings me back to my original question. Is the True-trac an upgrade over the standard 31 spline traction lock differential?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Which brings me back to my original question. Is the True-trac an upgrade over the standard 31 spline traction lock differential?

Absolutely it's an upgrade. The stock t-lock really has a hard time putting power to the right wheel. By nature it will always send the most power to the wheel the the least grip. That's not a good traction situation. The Trutrac/Torsen style diffs do the exact opposite of that. They are constantly working and sending torque to the wheel with the most grip. It's not often you're in a situation where both tires have the exact same grip. Whether it's weight transfer or road surface, one tire or the other will have a bit more grip than the other. The Trutrac/Torsen style diffs will send power to whichever tire can use it most. So even if you're spinning, it's constantly fighting for you for the most grip. The stock limited slip doesn't do that at all, and simply gives up if one tire has more grip than the other. This has a lot to do with a lot of the traction problems people experience with these cars (in addition to the wrong tires).

91z28350

Established Member
Cool thanks for the advice! That is what I wanted know. Next question, is the Torsen worth twice the price of the true trac?

Wharf Rat

Established Member
Absolutely it's an upgrade. The stock t-lock really has a hard time putting power to the right wheel. By nature it will always send the most power to the wheel the the least grip. That's not a good traction situation. The Trutrac/Torsen style diffs do the exact opposite of that. They are constantly working and sending torque to the wheel with the most grip. It's not often you're in a situation where both tires have the exact same grip. Whether it's weight transfer or road surface, one tire or the other will have a bit more grip than the other. The Trutrac/Torsen style diffs will send power to whichever tire can use it most. So even if you're spinning, it's constantly fighting for you for the most grip. The stock limited slip doesn't do that at all, and simply gives up if one tire has more grip than the other. This has a lot to do with a lot of the traction problems people experience with these cars (in addition to the wrong tires).

+1,000,000! Great post. This is all you need to know.

As far as a TrueTrac vs Torsen, great question. I am putting one or the other in my road race car this summer. I've had awesome luck with TrueTracs on the street and strip but road racers love the Torsen above everything else for some reason.

Fabman302

Current Project: FRANKENSTANG
Established Member
+1,000,000! Great post. This is all you need to know.

As far as a TrueTrac vs Torsen, great question. I am putting one or the other in my road race car this summer. I've had awesome luck with TrueTracs on the street and strip but road racers love the Torsen above everything else for some reason.

The way it was explained to me, and I verified it on the torson site is that the T2R is tighter than the T2 and I expect tighter than the trutrack. At least that's what I got out of it.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm pretty sure for the most part you couldn't go wrong with either the truetrac, t2, or t2r. I've only read that the truetrac is stronger I have no first hand experience or even talked to someone that actually had a t2 fail. I do know road race guys are in love with torsens! Maybe it's a plot to keep them all for themselves! Joking aside for the money you can't beat the truetrac.

Fabman302

Current Project: FRANKENSTANG
Established Member
I'm pretty sure for the most part you couldn't go wrong with either the truetrac, t2, or t2r. I've only read that the truetrac is stronger I have no first hand experience or even talked to someone that actually had a t2 fail. I do know road race guys are in love with torsens! Maybe it's a plot to keep them all for themselves! Joking aside for the money you can't beat the truetrac.

I'm not certain of anything myself....that's why I'm reading this thread! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread