Truetrac

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Having a Torsen T2R installed Friday with my 410's.
It's the one Ford sells as the FR500S.
Ford Racing FR500S Mustang Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in (86-14 V8; 11-14 V6) M-4204-T31H - Free Shipping!
My rear end guy said that is the best/strongest one for both drag and Road race....I sure hope he's right.

The T2R is not recommended for drag racing. The Boss T2 is actually the strongest of the 3 Torsens by 30%. The T2R has the highest bias ratio, but don't run it at the track with slicks. Unless you're actually road racing, I'd recommend the Boss T2 or the Trutrac.

Fabman302

Current Project: FRANKENSTANG
Established Member
The T2R is not recommended for drag racing. The Boss T2 is actually the strongest of the 3 Torsens by 30%. The T2R has the highest bias ratio, but don't run it at the track with slicks. Unless you're actually road racing, I'd recommend the Boss T2 or the Trutrac.

I have an automatic.....so there is much less shock load. What about then?
I've been using the stock set up with 373's on DR's and it's been fine so far.
The main reason I'm changing is I'm going to 4.10's and the installer recommended this highly.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I have an automatic.....so there is much less shock load. What about then?
I've been using the stock set up on DR's and it's been fine so far.

I'd call Torsen (call the manufacturer, not some distributor for them) and get their opinion. I've granaded a Torsen at the track with a lot less hp, so it's not something I'd recommend to assume you'd be fine.

Fabman302

Established Member
I'd call Torsen (call the manufacturer, not some distributor for them) and get their opinion. I've granaded a Torsen at the track with a lot less hp, so it's not something I'd recommend to assume you'd be fine.

Thanks for the info....I'll call them now.

Fabman302

Established Member

Okay, you're right.
The Guy at Torsen said it would probably work but be borderline for my car.
He recommended the Boss 302 one Ford# M-4204-MB.
How available is that and how much more do you think it is?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Okay, you're right.
The Guy at Torsen said it would probably work but be borderline for my car.
He recommended the Boss 302 one Ford# M-4204-MB.
How available is that and how much more do you think it is?

You should be able to get one through Tousley or an equivalent Ford Racing distributor for about $815ish plus shipping. They're pretty readily available. Or you can get a Trutrac for about $470 through Summit or Amazon.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have been through a couple wavetrac diffs. and i don't make near the power that some of you do.

I've seen a Wavetrac fail first hand in a street car on street tires (2010 GT500), so I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

that is surprising to me, because from what i understand the wavetrac is actually a stronger lsd than the eaton trutrac.

i have both, and i love them both. great diffs for both street and strip. the wavetrac was more expensive tho, so if i were to buy another for either car, it will probably be the trutrac.

Fabman302

Established Member
You should be able to get one through Tousley or an equivalent Ford Racing distributor for about $815ish plus shipping. They're pretty readily available. Or you can get a Trutrac for about $470 through Summit or Amazon.

Trutrack is the same or a different manufacturer?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
that is surprising to me, because from what i understand the wavetrac is actually a stronger lsd than the eaton trutrac.

i have both, and i love them both. great diffs for both street and strip. the wavetrac was more expensive tho, so if i were to buy another for either car, it will probably be the trutrac.

The wavetrac I have experience with was nothing but trouble. They tout it as being strong, but it's not. The c-clip retaining system is a joke, which we had numerous problems with, and at a separate time I broke all the internal gears on one with a 540hp '10 GT500 on the street on street tires (I was actually driving when it broke). For the price I would have expected a lot more from it.

Trutrack is the same or a different manufacturer?

Different. Trutrac is by Eaton.

Fabman302

Established Member
Okay, I called the installer. He said he's not using a T2R after all. He's using a M-4204 T31.

Which one is that?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Okay, I called the installer. He said he's not using a T2R after all. He's using a M-4204 T31.

Which one is that?

You don't want that one. It's not very strong. It's a "street only", and will be short lived behind a heavy torquey GT500. That's the exact diff I granaded behind a 500rwh fox body at the drag strip.

96slowbra

Established Member

Like mentioned above, I had nothing but problems with my wavetrac. I spent a lot of time on the phone with autotech, the manufacturer of the wavetrac, and they make an awesome diff. Unfortunately the 8.8 c-clip version doesn't have the same reputation and quality as their other diffs. They apparently have very high hp cars including its terminators doing just great. And the c-clips are the worst.

Fabman302

Established Member
Got My TruTrack and 4:10'S in....damn that's low with 26" tall tires and an automatic :(

Haven't done a real stress test yet on the trutrack but right away it feels more like a spool under power....very predictable.
The stock rear end just never felt right. Never knew when the rear would would break away and what would happen when it did.
With the tru track I have more controllable throttle over-steer.
So far, so good. :)

Last edited:

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Anybody install their own (True-Trac)?

Also, anyone install without axle upgrade? I have about 630 to the tire and I understand the GT500 axles are pretty good to begin with. No slicks but will occasionally run drag radials. Might eventually upgrade them but would like to defer for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread