Truetrac

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Install a truetrac along with moser axles a couple of days ago and this thing is smoooth. I thought for sure I would have some kind of noise as it seams everything adds noise. But to my surprise no noise except for I believe I heard a pop once when going from forward to reverse. If that's it ill take it. Do these things loosen up and make noise? Am I safe or should I get ready for goofy noises in the future? I'm running 85-140 conventional gear oil. In any event so far (250miles) the only difference is the truetrac makes less noise that the factory moaner.

whitesnake86

Established Member
I've been running a tru-trac with mosers for 2 years now with no issues, ran 4.10s in it for a year and now just a few months ago put 3.73s in. slight clicking or clunking sometimes when I release the throttle but barely noticeable and it's supposed to be normal from the slack that it has between the drive and driven gears in it

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have the TrueTrac/Moser combination you have. I heard a "pop" or "clunk" a couple of times. I recently read (from the Eaton site) where Eaton does not recommend using Synthetic fluid with the TrueTrac. I used the oem Ford fluid when I did my install, it is Synthetic. Before I bought fluid for the refill, I asked around about 85w140 vs. 85w90? The recommendation (even by drag racers) was the lighter 85w90 as is commonly used in the newer cars and not the heavier 85w140 as was used in the older cars. Right now my axle housing is empty and I am installing 85w90 conventional, actually tonight.

I would guess that if Synthetic vs. Conventional is a big deal with the TrueTrac, oil weight choice would also be a factor in how it performs?

R

Last edited:

Wharf Rat

Established Member
The TrueTrac is a great mod. I've put one in my last 2 two Stangs and can't believe how straight the car pulls (street and strip) when you hammer on it. Way underrated mod in my book. Makes the car so much easier/safer to drive.

I haven't had any noise in either of mine. I went with 85w140 conventional in both of mine.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
No problems here! No noise after 500 miles and it is smooth as stock IMO so far.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Hmm good info here about the trutrac. Robert let us know if the fluid swap makes a difference

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I put a TrueTrac in my 00' GT when they first came out and it was one of the best mods I made on that car. It was quiet, reliable and affective and took a heck of a lot of abuse. Loved it and won't hesitate to put one in my 500 if it needs one down the road.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
We love the TruTrac for street/strip cars. We've used them several times and it's probably the most recommended differential that we tell customers about. Definitely use only conventional lube as per Eaton's recommendation.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hmm good info here about the trutrac. Robert let us know if the fluid swap makes a difference

I also have to disclose that I have only had my TrueTrac installed and driven for a few miles, like less than 25. When I read the Eaton fluid recommendation, that is when I decided to get the right fluid installed. Since I have so few miles, it may be a "break-in" issue with my 2 clunks/pops, and they happened at the same place when the car was put in the same position. I am not even sure if it was the TrueTrac, it could have been my BMR UCA. <<<I have also removed and swapped the BMR UCA while the car is up in the air.

R

scotsam

Established Member
I just tried to match the factory fluid the 85w-140 was as close as I could find. My instructions said use whatever fluid the manufacturer recommends but I read on here that everyone said to use conventional. I love it! It's the first mod I've done where my wife hasn't asked "what was that noise?".

scotsam

Established Member
By the way if you plan on using a ta cover/girdle don't forget a panhard bar relocation bracket. Don't ask how I know! I had arp diff cap studs too. The studs don't fit with the factory cover and the ta cover don't fit without the relocation bracket.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I just tried to match the factory fluid the 85w-140 was as close as I could find. My instructions said use whatever fluid the manufacturer recommends but I read on here that everyone said to use conventional. I love it! It's the first mod I've done where my wife hasn't asked "what was that noise?".

I think, but am not positive that if you check the factory Ford recommendation it is 85w90, not 85w140, but again, I am not sure. The owners manual should give the recommended weight and also they usually provide the Ford part number.........but it is synthetic.

Did you find that the GT500 has a 85w140 recommendation in the Ford literature?

You may be right! I just looked at the left over Motorcraft bottle I have from Ford and it is 75w140 Synthetic.

R

Last edited:

cobraboss

Established Member
For all of you all runnung a trutrac diff. and moser axles, I have a question. Since using moser axles, why not run the Moser Wavetrac diff. just wandering?

Wharf Rat

Established Member
By the way if you plan on using a ta cover/girdle don't forget a panhard bar relocation bracket. Don't ask how I know! I had arp diff cap studs too. The studs don't fit with the factory cover and the ta cover don't fit without the relocation bracket.

The other option is to get the Ford Racing diff cover/girdle specifically for S197's. Fits fine w/out the relo kit.

Another thing to remember is that if you have a 2011+ that came with the finned aluminum cover the axle tube vent is on the diff cover NOT on the axle housing. If you switch over to a Girdle type it is not vented so you have to move the vent from your finned cover to you axle housing. It is no big deal. The housing is threaded and there is a plug in it. Takes two seconds to swap out.

scotsam

Established Member
I looked on my Mitchell on demand and saw the factory was 75-140 but 85-140 was as close as I could get in conventional.
As far as the wavetrac I've seen mixed reviews. The truetrac is a no brainer seems everyone that has one loves it (unless you look at old terminator posts) and its inexpensive compared to most other diffs.
I saw after I ordered the ta girdle that frpp had a slim one. So I just ordered the bracket and said screw it. If the slim cover is like the stock one I wouldn't be able to use my carrier studs anyway. (Not that ill probably need them but I figured I'm in there I might as well)
I saw the vent I actually had it swapped for the plug in the left axle tube till I realized the cover wouldn't fit. I an concerned it will be smacking my tailpipe though, being the car is lowered.

96slowbra

Established Member
i have been through a couple wavetrac diffs. and i don't make near the power that some of you do. it is an awesome functioning diff, but the 8.8 c-clip version needs a revision. now i have a torsen t2. kinda bummed i didn't save myself a bunch of money and get the trutrac now that i am reading this thread

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Trutrac here too, and I really like it. It's taken some serious hp and abuse already without a hiccup, and functions flawlessly.

I've seen a Wavetrac fail first hand in a street car on street tires (2010 GT500), so I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread